You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Uncommon Ice Dancing  (Read 2713 times)

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
Uncommon Ice Dancing
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:54:07 AM »
So far as I am aware ice dancing is intended to be a form of ballroom dancing on skates,   However I'm curious if there's anyone out there who has experimented with other types of dancing on ice for example some kind of fusion of hip hop and the qualities of ice dancing (long glides, etc)  that are similar to ballroom dancing.   Granted,  if it's new, there's probably not much in the way of competition for it, but then some people just like to try things to see if they are possible.

The reason I ask is because there's a dance I really like, and as one of my long term goals, i'm thinking about trying to adapt it to the ice by  splicing some of the off-ice dance moves with those that are commonly used on-ice.

If there are folks out there who are already doing this kind of dancing on ice, does anyone have any links to videos online I can look at?   It seems like most  dancing on ice  is of the ballet or ballroom sort which is quite beautiful and thrilling to watch,  but I tend to be a bit of a visionary in most things I do in life and approach common things in uncommon ways, or use common practices to achieve uncommon goals.

Here's a link to the you tube video with the song and dance I am thinking about:

(the actual dancing doesn't start until about 30 sec into it when she is outside of the building)

Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Uncommon Ice Dancing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
The compulsory dances (set pattern dances) are some form or ballroom / latin dancing on ice. However, the free dance is exactly that. If you watch some of the senior dance couples at Worlds and the Olympics you'll see all manner of dances being performed on ice including Bollywood and Irish Dance to name two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure someone's tried hip hop already.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:28:31 AM »
I remember a routine from Belbin & Agosto that was hip-hop.  It might have been an exhibition program, though...

Of course, IMO, Daisuke Takahashi's wild Hip-Hop Swan Lake SP from a few years ago brought down the house, but that's not ice dancing, per se.

Truthfully, the video reminded me of a weak imitation of "Flashdance," but I think the original would have translated to ice far better because Irene Cara (or her dance double) really moved and used innovative motions. 

Since ice dancing has to COVER THE ICE, I can't see very much of the gestures and poses from the OP's video transferring over to ice particularly well.  The dancers in the video barely moved out of place and their lower bodies simply repeated the same movements: strut, cross your legs, kick out, hop, and step to the side.  Their upper bodies didn't really do much, either.  It was redundant and didn't really include much of what figure skating offers over dance: easy movement in multiple directions, speed, turns, and edging.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in seeing something like the video on ice, but that's just me.  I never liked Stoyko's Martial Arts routines. either.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
Not ice dancing, but I am in love with this Stephanie Rosenthal's SP (2006 nationals):

Offline TheAquarian

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Not ice dancing, but I am in love with this Stephanie Rosenthal's SP (2006 nationals):

Code: [Select]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnkku5aJzZM

Thanks!    I think she's doing here kind of what I imagined by merging styles of moment together into one performance. :)
Pawn takes queen; reality check mate.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
Here's a vid of the Belbin and Agasto hip hop:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/SWHLsQDiZO8/

Here's a fun performance to Boom Boom Pow: