You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: seeking gift ideas for young skaters  (Read 4811 times)

Offline sleepyhead

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
seeking gift ideas for young skaters
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:39:51 AM »
Hoping you guys can give me some good gift ideas for a 5 y/o beginner skater who only wants skating presents.
I don't think she's advanced enough for a spinner (she's only just starting to learn spins), and I don't see the point of fancy skate bags. She already has nice guards and a competition dress. Maybe I'll get to time new skates for next Xmas if she's still skating??!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: seeking gift ideas for young skaters
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
Personalized writing pads / stationery with skating images? Cute practice wear?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »
There are quite a few books for kids about being a figure skater.  My favorite is "A Very Young Skater" by Jill Krementz, but I think it's out of print - you'd have to buy a used copy.

There are some current books if you check bookstores.  I borrowed one from the Library this summer - it was really nice with simple illustrations and notes about every little thing, from lacing up skates to making ice.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:26:45 PM »
Gloves (maybe you can hotfix some sparkles to them)?  Cheap and useful!

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 11:51:24 PM »
Look in craft or sewing stores for buttons in the shape of ice skates.  You can use them to switch out the buttons on an otherwise plain cardigan, or just sew them on to decorate a pullover or sweatshirt.  Stores with doll making supplies will often have dolly ice skates, or sometimes just the skate blades - those can be glued onto the feet of any stuffed animal.  Places like Build-a-Bear have skating outfits available for their animals.  There are all kinds of fancy soakers available at skating specialty shops, which make fun gifts.  Boot covers, maybe?  If she's still in rentals, that might be nice because it covers them up.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:59:36 AM »
How about a pretty skirt to skate in? The competition dress is great for competitions, but, a skirt is usually reasonably cost-effective, and if you get a basic one, you can even fancy it up with appliques or rhinestones. My tiny DD likes her skirts, as she gets the "swish" of a dress, can get it on and off easily, and I like that I can stuff it in a bag and go without worrying about wrecking something expensive. Helps out DH too, as dresses can sometimes need parental intervention that can baffle him :D

Other than that ...hmm ... tiny DD also treasures this skating towel that she got years ago. It was made by the Blade Buddies people, and it's a pink rabbit with silver skates that is attached to a fluffy pink towel, rather like a mutant version of the little skating animals that they make as bag hangers. She calls it Super Bunny ... and Super Bunny lives in her bag and has been used to dry her blades and skates for quite some time.  It's a great reinforcer of the importance of looking after skates. It's also held up very well, and even washes easily; because of how soft the material is, it's easy for little hands to use.

Those same bag hangers make nice presents; they dress up a plain bag, and can also be used on a school backpack to show the kid's interests as a skater. We have a hedgehog and a dinosaur ... very cute ... and if you can pick them up cheap at competitions, not too expensive.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
Gloves (maybe you can hotfix some sparkles to them)?  Cheap and useful!

ITA on this, gloves get lost (and wet) all the time, and you can never have enough gloves.  Also, does she have pierced ears?  Some nice skate earrings are nice too or how about a personalized towel (for wiping blades after skating).

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 03:13:37 PM »
Hoping you guys can give me some good gift ideas for a 5 y/o beginner skater who only wants skating presents.
I don't think she's advanced enough for a spinner (she's only just starting to learn spins), and I don't see the point of fancy skate bags. She already has nice guards and a competition dress. Maybe I'll get to time new skates for next Xmas if she's still skating??!!

Along the lines of books.... American Girl has 1 book, if not 2 about "Mia", the figure skating doll. My daughter has read them and likes them. You would probably have to read them to her... but that is an idea.

What about a practice skirt or like others have suggested, gloves? What about skating pants or a cute jacket?

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:03:23 AM »
Soakers? Either the cute animal ones, eg Blade Babies (with a matching bag toy), or big, puffy ones in their favourite cover?
Beanie Kid bear with Skates?
Boot Covers, with hotfix crystal initials on them, or a motif of some kind?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »
Package up an "invitation" to a skating party for her and a couple of friends to go skating ... pay for the ice time and a treat afterwards.  It's a great way for her to share her interests with her friends.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:45:35 PM »
A subscription to a skating magazine.  The ISI's Recreational Skater is best for little ones, but Blades on Ice has great photos and publishes an annual calendar with photos.

A figure skating calendar is also a nice idea.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sleepyhead

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »
Many thanks to all!!

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »
don't know how much you want to spend but I just found a "basic skills starter kit" on the USFSA website.   It's a little pricey, but here's the link....

http://www.usfsashop.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

If anything, you can get ideas - it's pretty basic - gloves, gaurds, jacket, small skating bag, and soakers, but it's a done in a cute little skating box.  Marketing is everything isn't it!  LOL