You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What makes a good step sequence?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
What makes a good step sequence?
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »
Just checked the ISU results for Worlds 2013 and found that Carolina Kostner had a whopping +1.90 GOE on her step sequence, the highest GOE for the ladies. I watched her performance, focusing on her step sequence, and found that it wasn't as engaging as that of Asada's (+1.50 GOE) and Kim's (+1.40). All had the same base value of 3.90, so I suppose that the turns themselves were technically comparable.

Interestingly, though Kostner had the highest Step Sequence GOE, her Skating Skills score was 8.96, compared to Kim's 9.21...which is sort of confusing, since I suppose that better skating skills should translate to a better step sequence GOE...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: What makes a good step sequence?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:47:04 AM »
The judges have bullet points which need to be included in the step sequence for them to hand out positive GOE. I don't have the requirements for free skating, but it will probably give them 4 or 5 options which the judges have to feel the step sequence includes to give +3GOE. What you are seeing is that the judges felt that one skater achieved these bullets better than the others.
The PCS component Skating Skills is judges on different criteria based on the entire program (and not just the Step Sequence) so a skater can achieve a better Step Sequence GOE than their Skating Skills PCS mark would indicate.
If you want to try to understand how the scores came about, you can download the judging requirements from the ISU website and having read them watch the programs you are interested in to see if you can spot the differences that would lead to the judges giving the different marks. This is useful as it helps you understand judging criteria.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
I think it has to do with the difficulty of turns were executed, what direction they went, how fast the direction changed, the usage of one foot, etc

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
Here are the GOE criteria for a step sequence:
1) good energy and execution
2) good speed or acceleration during sequence
3) good clarity and precision
4) deep clean edges (including entry and exit of all turns)
5) good control and commitment of whole body to accuracy of steps
6) creativity and originality
7) effortless throughout
8) element enhances the musical structure

It's not about how engaging it is in any GOE criteria other than possibly 8 (but if the steps fit the musical structure, then it still checks off #8).  Kostner totally rocks 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 clearly in every step sequence she does.

SS is not JUST about the step sequence.  Kostner had other mistakes that dropped that mark a little (3S << and 1Lo) and with Kim skating last, judges were happy to reward her clean and totally rocked comeback.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
Rather than try and paste all the rules onto the forum, refer to the USFS information (which should be very similar to the ISU information)

http://usfsa.org/New_Judging.asp?id=355

2013-14 Establishing GOE in Singles and Pairs Short Program and Free Skate (from ISU Communication #1790) contains the GOE information techskater posted, plus also the list of errors.  The page also links to documents for determining levels, program components, values etc. for singles and pairs. 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »
Thanks for the information, everyone! Seems to me that the criteria for +GOE for step sequences are very subjective. I easily get why jumps get +GOE (and based on the criteria, it's a lot more objective), and spins to some extent, but I really don't get how they score step sequences. Maybe once I learn how these turns are done I'll  understand it better, lol!