You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Why does ice dance music sound so old?  (Read 7707 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Why does ice dance music sound so old?
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
Why do all ice dance music sound like they've been converted to mp3s from my granny's vinyl LPs?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Why does ice dance music sound so old?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
Are you asking about the quality of the recording or the style of the music?  I can't speak to how the recordings are mastered, but if you mean the music sounds like it comes from a past era, it's because it usually does.  The official recordings were chosen because the beat is clear and steady (important for beginners, especially those without a lot of musical experience), because they are at the specific metronome marking required for each dance, and because they fit the character of the particular dance (I could dance tango steps to music that is in the right time signature and the right tempo, but if the selection wasn't actually a tango it would be a lot harder to reflect the correct tango character).  There are several people I know of who are compiling lists of modern music for pattern dances.  Specifically, Skate Canada is considering using modern music for pattern dance testing.  Many ice dance clubs have lists they use for social dance sessions.  It's fun to skate to more familiar music, but it can be more difficult if you're inexperienced.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
Are you asking about the quality of the recording or the style of the music?

Yes -- all dance music I've heard seem to have been recorded in mono. I don't really mind the music itself, but I just wish they could have been remastered or something.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »
<Since I inadvertently added a new comment instead of modifying the previous one>:

Aren't there any new arrangements for ice dance? I'm not talking about doing ice dance to songs of Beyonce or Bieber, but rather modern instrumental pieces.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
A lot of those pieces were composed a long time ago, but it would be possible to make modern recordings of them.  That would cost money, though - you'd have to hire musicians and set up a recording session, or pay to use existing recordings (which might not be suitable, if they don't adhere to a strict beat).  Getting the rights to new music would likely be more expensive, too. These are so old that if they still have to pay royalties on them, it probably isn't very much.  That's why clubs that have modern lists can't sell compilations of their recordings - the music belongs to the artists who composed and recorded it.  The best I've got so far is to choose a few selections off one of the modern lists, buy the tracks on iTunes, and make my own playlists for each dance.  I honestly don't know of any modern instrumental pieces that would be foxtrots or waltzes, etc.  Modern dance music is generally more for club dancing than ballroom.  I've checked out modern commercial recordings meant for ballroom dance studios, which would include instrumental arrangements, but, unfortunately, their tempos aren't always correct for our pattern dances.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
It sounds old because it is old  :P

That said, with Skate Canada, they have creative dance tests.  You can choose your own music or use the pattern dance music.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
You can choose your own music in the USA for tests too, as long as it's the correct tempo and character for the dance.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
Plus a lot of those tunes are oldd standards from the jazz and swing era - they are classic!  (IMHO) - and yes it is true that the recordings are old - the higher up you get in the test levels the better the music is - I actually really love some of the music for the Starlight Waltz, Argentine Tango, etc. - fabulous!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
Plus a lot of those tunes are oldd standards from the jazz and swing era - they are classic!  (IMHO) - and yes it is true that the recordings are old - the higher up you get in the test levels the better the music is - I actually really love some of the music for the Starlight Waltz, Argentine Tango, etc. - fabulous!

Locally we do the Nasty to "Hernando's Hideaway" a showtune.  And the Dutch Waltz to "My Bonnie lies over the ocean." No one believed me when I told them, apparently the younger generation doesn't grow up singing nursery rhymes. I found myself standing in center ice singing the whole song to some coaches. The Americans went, 'oh, right, I remember than now." The Russian went, "No, song is called Dutch Waltz"

Anyway, here is the worst musical arrangement ever for Hernando's Hideaway. Bestimianova and Bukhin in the days of big hair ans show tunes

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 10:05:21 PM »
Wow, Agnes, that really is bad!  All those boingy sounds in there!  It would definitely go on my ballroom instructor's list of "bad tangos".  I'm amazed people wouldn't know that Dutch Waltz tune is called "My Bonnie..." (well, not the Russian - that doesn't surprise me).  I guess I really am getting old!  I can always tell the real chestnuts because my dance coach whistles them all the time.  He was competing in the 1960's, so he's even older than I am.  I know the names of a lot of the waltz tunes, too - my daughter just looks at me like I have three heads or something.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
The Russian went, "No, song is called Dutch Waltz"

That got me wondering if there is actually a piece called "Dutch Waltz." I checked YouTube, and all the gave me were videos of skating tests performed to different music pieces. It's probably the same with all dances: their names "Canasta Tango,"  "Rocker Foxtrot," etc. are names of genres, not music pieces. Except perhaps "Viennese Waltz " that is skated to Strauss' waltzes. 

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:48:59 PM »
Terrible version of Hernando's Hideaway but AMAZING program.  I miss the old OSP.

I am odd because I find all the old tunes used for compulsory dances kind of comforting.  :). I think because I have been doing this so long.  I love al the Paso music and Sleeping Beauty Waltz for the Starlight just makes the dance feel so much waltzier.  Love it. 

In Canada they would come out with a new series of music every few years.  One was this synthesised horrible set where you could barely hear the beats. I remember the 14 Step sounded like something performed for Star Trek.  That was horrible. 

Offline amy1984

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »
Terrible version of Hernando's Hideaway but AMAZING program.  I miss the old OSP.

I am odd because I find all the old tunes used for compulsory dances kind of comforting.  :). I think because I have been doing this so long.  I love al the Paso music and Sleeping Beauty Waltz for the Starlight just makes the dance feel so much waltzier.  Love it. 

In Canada they would come out with a new series of music every few years.  One was this synthesised horrible set where you could barely hear the beats. I remember the 14 Step sounded like something performed for Star Trek.  That was horrible.

Want terrible?  Remember the Skate Canada Skills tunes?  lol.  We still hear those at the rink every now and then when someone - usually higher up in the levels - needs help with the timing.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
I learned the skills when they first came out with them and the music.  The timing was so wrong back then. I had forgotten about that.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 03:01:56 AM »
Want terrible?  Remember the Skate Canada Skills tunes?  lol.  We still hear those at the rink every now and then when someone - usually higher up in the levels - needs help with the timing.

that's what all dance music should do: help with the timing.. (says the tone deaf skater in frustration)

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:36 AM »
Anyway, here is the worst musical arrangement ever for Hernando's Hideaway. Bestimianova and Bukhin in the days of big hair ans show tunes

That wasn't too bad. Hated the boingy sounds though haha. But at least 50% of the music is good. :p

Loved the footwork here. Strong and quick.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
That got me wondering if there is actually a piece called "Dutch Waltz." I checked YouTube, and all the gave me were videos of skating tests performed to different music pieces. It's probably the same with all dances: their names "Canasta Tango,"  "Rocker Foxtrot," etc. are names of genres, not music pieces. Except perhaps "Viennese Waltz " that is skated to Strauss' waltzes.

Technically the names of the Dances are the names of the patterns. A genre is Waltz, tango, mambo etc.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
I've found the titles of these "stock" dance music:

1. Dutch Waltz = Could I have this dance
2. Canasta Tango = Tango Mayo
3. Rhythm Blues = Riverboat Blues
4. Swing Dance = Red Sails in the Sunset

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
Locally we do the Nasty to "Hernando's Hideaway" a showtune.  And the Dutch Waltz to "My Bonnie lies over the ocean." No one believed me when I told them, apparently the younger generation doesn't grow up singing nursery rhymes.
You do the Dutch waltz to My bonnie lies over the ocean? ??? For some reason I find that quite amusing! :P Not heard Hernando's Hideaway much here - I think it crops up here as part of one of the Argentine tango ISU tunes.

I've found the titles of these "stock" dance music:

1. Dutch Waltz = Could I have this dance
2. Canasta Tango = Tango Mayo
3. Rhythm Blues = Riverboat Blues
4. Swing Dance = Red Sails in the Sunset
Not everywhere! In the UK we predominantly use the ISU tunes for testing and competing. Riverside rhumba has its own music - some of which is absolutely dire! (Beauty and the beast on synth pan pipes anyone? :o) As a result I very rarely hear anything else other than these tunes for pattern dances. Surrey with a fringe on top for swing dance (I think?) is the only one I can think of. That was a couple of years ago though.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 01:46:07 AM »
that's what all dance music should do: help with the timing.. (says the tone deaf skater in frustration)

Exactly!  But the skills music is laughably bad - computer generated and pretty terrible :P

Offline 1cesk8er

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
My rink is starting to use some new ones, I have noticed while practicing (I am a freeskater). Under Pressure and some music from Grease are my new favorites!
Tests Passed:Pre-Preliminary MIF, Pre-Preliminary Freeskate, Preliminary MIF, Preliminary Freeskate,Pre-Juvenile MIF

Currently Working on:Juvenile MIF, Pre-Juvenile Freeskate

Competing at Adult Silver level

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »
does anybody actually skate to the skater's waltz?
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
Yup.

We use this one for I believe the American Waltz and maybe the Starlight Waltz.

The cadence has to be completely even though - I only listened to the first few bars of this recording and it starts off very slow - this part would not be used for any of the dances but when it gets faster there is a portion that is used for the dances.

The skating music definitely gets better the higher up you go in the testing structure. 

Some of the Waltzes are beautiful and great to skate to - I especially like the Sleeping Beauty Waltz for the Starlight!

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »
I was expecting to hear a sound no...you know, irony and all that  :)

But I am guessing since this is an orchestra piece, the cadence could be adjusted...if you were lucky enough to have a band at hand :D
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
I was expecting to hear a sound no...you know, irony and all that  :)

But I am guessing since this is an orchestra piece, the cadence could be adjusted...if you were lucky enough to have a band at hand :D

The cadence can be adjusted with certain software I believe - also certain CD players...

Ice-dance music is VERY specific.  For instance the Starlight Waltz has to have 58 three-beat measure per minute; 174 beats/min  The American Waltz is faster - 198 betas/minute.

So with this piece you would have to take a section that had the same cadence for at least maybe two minutes and then adjust to get the correct cadence for the dance.

It can be done!