You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What's your worst on-ice habit?  (Read 6859 times)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: What's your worst on-ice habit?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 01:43:24 AM »
Raise your hand if coach had to scream "breathe!" during your program run through :)

*raises hand*

And then I hold my breath in competition anyway and stumble off the ice at the end to collapse. If I ever get further than a 1:40 program I'm totally screwed.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »
I do this really weird shoulder shrug before I start anything (jumps, footwork, crossovers, whatever).  It reminds me of this skater from the 80s when I just started watching skating.  I think her name was Holly Cook; she used to do the same thing.

I also look down, fail to breathe, don't bend my knees enough, ride my toe picks, bail on anything that doesn't feel right, only practice the MIF that I like, two-foot things when it doesn't feel right, talk to much, complain, cuss out loud, flap my arms and never practice enough.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
How do I pick just one? I go get water when I really don't need it just to put off doing another of whatever I don't want to practice, I stop breathing during programs, I usually do just do one element at a time with no connecting steps, I overthink, I daydream and almost run into people...

But I guess my worst habit, the one I've been trying to break for two years, that keeps showing up in photos and that my coach keeps mentioning, is looking down. Especially after spins. I've really been trying to work on this lately. My coach says even when my head is up, my eyes are still down on the ice. It doesn't help that we have kids in freestyle sessions who are two feet shorter than me, so looking down is sometimes necessary for safety.