You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone else's coach go to a seminar recently..  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Anyone else's coach go to a seminar recently..
« on: September 17, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »
So the group coach went to a seminar and came back with an evil exercise. We have to push once, then glide on one foot straight down the blue line, then without moving our shoulders or feet, go into a figure-type circle, then when circling back to the blue line, go straight again, down the blue line. We're supposed to use ankle lean to accomplish this. The tracing looks like this
__O__

Forward ones were pretty easy. Backward ones were impossible, and we spent about half an hour on them.

Did anyone else get this sprung upon them recently?

I can just imagine these seminars. The speaker must start with "I know all of you have been getting bored lately, so we thought up a new torturous 'exercise' for your students to do. Guaranteed to brighten up your day.."

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
Re: Anyone else's coach go to a seminar recently..
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
Oooo, that's a good one!! Think I'll try it on my victims students this week!  >:D

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
We did it during a New Moves in the Field seminar.  

The skaters didn't have too much trouble with it - it's a lead-in to teaching loop figures, which are on the new moves' tests.  It isolates the use of the foot and edging - your power pulls should become stronger from this exercise.

Sounds like your group coach is on the ball - congrats.

(Torture?  Really?  Not likely.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »
Ooh that sounds like a good one - I will have to try it!!

I imagine that backwards one was harder because it is harder to go on a straight line while you are going backwards? At least it would for me.

I suppose you could do some outside-edge circles and some inside-edge circles... just to keep it interesting and also to learn new skills.

My goal for this year is to learn how to do loops... and twizzles...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
One person's "torture" is another person's "challenge."  Love it - what a great attitude!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sierra

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »
They were a challenge. At first. After the 200th try, I might have soured a bit. I don't get why we will spend the entire lesson on one exercise, but we never spend the entire lesson on one jump or spin or turn. Makes no sense  ???

I can't get enough power from just one push going backwards, and could get most of the circle but couldn't go straight again- and the slow speed wasn't helping. I've never needed to have a lot of power from one c push, because the only thing I use them for is backward edges. Something to practice, maybe. And yes, it is hard to go on a straight line backwards, though mainly because the push used tries to put you on a curve, unlike the T push used for forwards.

At least the instructor enjoyed it. As soon as I heard the words "I just came back from a seminar.."   :o

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
My coaches have been to the new moves seminar, but had already begun drilling a loop exercise (which sucks as much)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »
Is this exersice reminiscent of some figure moves?

I think many felt *relieved* when figures were eliminated from competitions. The benefits of figures are obvious, but the evil part is they require PERFECT edge control and minimal wiggle room.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »
And the new MIF do NOT require that level of control and concentration as figures did.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
Yep, it's very similar to that figure, think it's called a serpentine? I learned it a long time ago. The circle made is a similar size to a simple outside or inside figure, though in a serpentine you are allowed to use your arms and free foot to change edge, but in the exercise you had to hold still and go from outside/inside to flats.

I took a figures class for sixteen weeks and I think it probably helped me nail the forward portion of this exercise. Coincidentally, I never could get a backwards figure. Probably why I can't do the exercise backwards. I liked doing figures, but my schedule doesn't match up to when they have the figures class.

The instructor was saying the exercise was to learn balance. Strange, how my scratch spin disappeared after doing that exercise. Wouldn't call that balance, traveling across half the rink with spin circles the size of wheel rims. :angel