You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: what time do you go to bed for morning ice?  (Read 8226 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
what time do you go to bed for morning ice?
« on: May 31, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
And how do you fit all that needs doing in ??? ???

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: what time do you go to bed for morning ice?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »
Have everything ready to go. Boots, clothes, etc. Wash your hair the night before. Stop watching TV and go to bed early 9 hours before wakeup and getup. Sleep in a cool room with the lights out. Don't read in bed, don't leave the TV on. Some people even sleep in their underwear so all they have to do is put on their clothes.

I don't know what time you plan to be at morning ice, but I spent years getting up at 0 dark 30 to be at work by 4. It's not rocket science.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
Mornings were a hard adjustment.  My daughter was born a night owl.  I'd go to sleep by 10 and she would play in her crib till 1am.  She wouldn't cry, she would just entertain herself.  So the choice to take am skating was declined and finally she decided to try it out.  It is still hard for her to go to sleep, but it's part of our deal.  It's been about 6-7 months and it is almost becoming "normal".  

Short cuts - i make her lunch the night before, bags and car are packed.  If I make oatmeal I put it all together the night before.

For myself it's a crush but not a major change - I get up 35 minutes earlier since I have to get to work everyday.  I bring her, watch and then go to work and her dad picks her up at the rink and takes her to school.

Dd has to be asleep by 9 to be on the ice at 6:30.  I tend to have a lot of work to do so I go to bed at 11-12 and I'm up at 4:45.  I get her up 35 minutes before she has to be there.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
Defiantly have everything ready to go the night before. I lay out my skating clothes, pack my lunch, and I pack my school/work clothes and make up so I can get ready at the rink. I have had to turn around half way when I forgot my book bag and had class an hour after my lesson. I also drink coffee or tea and eat dry cereal in the car and I bring some yogurt and a drink to eat after I skate because I'm usually hungry again and I pack that too. Its not easy to plan for the day at 5:30 am!!!

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
I can't drive if I am still not quite awake, so if I want to start skating at 6am (which I do 5-6 times a week), I have to get up at 4.45, to leave the house at 5.30-5.40 and be there at 6am. Please don't ask me what I do the whole 45-55 minutes between waking up and leaving house. It is embarrassing, I don't do much. Get dressed (clothes are ready from the day before), do my hair, clean my teeth and fill my water bottle, and have a huge much of coffee. And then the rest of the time I am sitting (about 20-25 mins), drinking the coffee and trying to wake up properly. (sometimes I watch TV for about 15 minutes, because when I watch TV, the brain concentrates and that wakes me up)  I suppose I could manage to do all those things (without the coffee and TV) within 20 mins but I think my driving would not be safe. So although I am aware that I completely waste some 20 minutes of time when I still could be sleeping, I think it is better for me.   

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:17:18 AM »
I'm not a morning person, and have also always been somethign of a night owl, so I find the 5:30am sessions a challenge. I'm usually okay once I'm up and moving about, but the getting out of bed part is hard.

I generally go to bed at 10 if we're going to an early morning session. I know that sounds like it won't be enough sleep, but I've found that if I go to bed any earlier it will take me forever to get to sleep, which is counter-productive, so I've basically found a happy medium. Even so I sometimes find myself waking up in the middle of the night, very aware that I have to be awake again in a couple of hours time, but we haven't been doing the early session for that long, so I hope that might pass after a while.

We get up at 4:40am, and leave the house at 4:55am. At that time of the morning, it generally takes 15 minutes to get to the rink. That leaves time for off-ice warmup (essential at that time of morning) and putting on skates.

As everyone else has said, everything is prepared and packed the night before so it's ready to go, including work clothes when necessary. So all I have to do in the morning is get up, stick the kettle on, get dressed and fix my hair (makeup can happen at the rink after the session if going on to work), then I make coffee in a travel mug, get my water bottle from the fridge and we're ready to head out the door. Husband drives and I sip coffee on the way - I do need to have something on my stomach. Proper breakfast waits for after the session.

It's worth it for that first 30-45 minutes when there's almost nobody else on the ice.

(Edited for clarity)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »
It takes me the same time in the morning for me to get ready whether I'm going to work or going skating. I just don't get distracted when going skating.
Everything is however laid out ready to go with work clothes bagged up. I tend to place all bags by the front door so I can't get out without tripping over them.
In terms of bedtime, when I was just doing the odd morning I could manage to go to bed the normal time and just skip an hour or so of sleep. Now it's more frequent, I make sure I go to bed earlier. I can do 10pm at a push, 9.30pm on a normal day.

I know kids who are coming longer distances actually are bundled into the car with blankets so they can sleep longer, and come supplied with breakfast bags. I've seen some arrive in bedclothes and change at the rink.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:02:28 PM »
OMG, it looks that I am the only one who takes nearly an hour! (well, most days only 45 mins!)And I have everything ready from the day before too...   :-[

Offline skatingmum2

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 02:01:06 PM »
For my 9 year old we stick to the rule "in bed by 8 or you don't skate" - he is usually in bed by 8 although can read until 8.30pm.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
I really wish we had morning ice!  For the summer, we have to be up north by 9am, which means getting up around 6am and driving (1.5hrs north). Not too bad unless one of the other carpoolers is late (which usually happens  88) then we are dashing into the rink!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »
My skating stuff never goes far from my skating bag so the night before I just collect up any bits that were being washed, pack work clothes and prep anything I need to for lunch. I also put out whatever clothes I'm going to skate in. It only takes a few minutes... I'm usually in bed ~9 but usually watch TV for a bit till I fall asleep mid programme!

OMG, it looks that I am the only one who takes nearly an hour! (well, most days only 45 mins!)And I have everything ready from the day before too...   :-[
Nope it takes me ages... At least 45mins from when my alarm goes off. Longer if I can't find my keys as (a) I've accidently packed them (about 30% of the time! :blush:) or (b) I've put them in the door when I 1st got up and failed miserably to remember I have done so and end up searching my bag / bedroom for them. (10% of the time) :blush: Given how zombie like I am in the mornings I have no idea how I manage to actually skate! :blush:

If I did the key thing I may end up running to the rink (doubles as part of my warm up 88)), especially if I have an early lesson, as I'm now running late.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
My skating stuff never goes far from my skating bag so the night before I just collect up any bits that were being washed, pack work clothes and prep anything I need to for lunch. I also put out whatever clothes I'm going to skate in. It only takes a few minutes... I'm usually in bed ~9 but usually watch TV for a bit till I fall asleep mid programme!
Nope it takes me ages... At least 45mins from when my alarm goes off. Longer if I can't find my keys as (a) I've accidently packed them (about 30% of the time! :blush:) or (b) I've put them in the door when I 1st got up and failed miserably to remember I have done so and end up searching my bag / bedroom for them. (10% of the time) :blush: Given how zombie like I am in the mornings I have no idea how I manage to actually skate! :blush:

If I did the key thing I may end up running to the rink (doubles as part of my warm up 88)), especially if I have an early lesson, as I'm now running late.
I park my skating stuff in the same place, and have myskating clothes in one spot of my closet so that helps. It's the waking up that takes me forever (plus drinking 2 cups of coffee)  :o
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
I don't even drink coffee before early morning skating because I get too shaky. And I still have to get up 45 mins before I leave...5:45 to leave at 6:30, while I normally get up at 6:36 (four snooze button hits!) to leave at 7:50.

It's mainly because I just cannot move quickly at that hour. I go downstairs to feed the cats and stare blankly into space for awhile. I begin making my lunch to take to skating and then to work and stare blankly some more while things are microwaving.

Also, I run after work on the early morning skating days so I have to get skating, work and running stuff together. That's usually three shirts, two pairs of pants, shorts, and two pairs of shoes.

So I usually try to get to bed by 10:30 instead of 11:30, but I find I have trouble falling asleep.

Next year we get 6 a.m. ice!!! I guess I'll have to get up at 4:45 for that and go to bed at 9:30. Can't wait.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »
If I was the one driving then I'd need way more than 15 minutes just to make sure I was awake enough. It's only because I'm not the one behind the wheel that I'm able to leave so quickly at that hour.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »
Thank you, taka and VAsk8ter. You made me feel much better!  :)  After reading some posts here I started wondering what's wrong with me that everyone else does it so quick. To be fair, I would manage it within 15-20 minutes as a one-off for example if I overslept, but doing it that quick every morning so many times a week would be extremely stressful for me.

To add to it, I am not disciplined enough to go to bed early (I am a night person), so I go to bed around 12 o'clock and then getting up at 4.45am.  After having less than 5 hours sleep five or six times a week I do look like a zombie in the mornings, so I really need the time to get properly awake. After I make myself properly awake, I am okay for the rest of the day, but the morning is hard. (I have to admit that one day of the weekend I sleep during the day to make up for not sleeping enough during the week).  

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
Thank you, taka and VAsk8ter. You made me feel much better!  :)  After reading some posts here I started wondering what's wrong with me that everyone else does it so quick. To be fair, I would manage it within 15-20 minutes as a one-off for example if I overslept, but doing it that quick every morning so many times a week would be extremely stressful for me.

To add it it, I am not disciplined enough to go to bed early (I am a night person), so I go to bed around 12 o'clock and then getting up at 4.45am.  After having less than 5 hours sleep five or six times a week I do look like a zombie in the mornings, so I really need the time to get properly awake. After I make myself properly awake, I am okay for the rest of the day, but the morning is hard. (I have to admit that one day of the weekend I sleep during the day to make up for not sleeping enough during the week). 

I actually take 1hour to 1hour 10 in the mornings, but I always shower, do hair and makeup and have breakfast before going anywhere, as I don't leave time post skating. Most of the skating mom's do their makeup at the rink, although there are some which are impeccable at 5.30am. I've not worked out what time they have to get up, because they're a lot more polished than I am.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »
Putting make up on in the car is a skill to be learned.   :laugh:  I get up at 4:50 to leave by 5:20 which includes showering and packing clothes for work in the car and making coffee. Anything else that needs to be done (lunch, etc) can be done the night before.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
First morning session in like forever. Went to bed about 10:30pm, woke up 4:45am (dreaming that I missed the alarm), took forever to pack lunch and fruits and eat breakfast. Quick shower and left home 5:20am for 6:15am session. Worked out surprisingly well, the session was fairly empty because it's summer.

What I learned: good to have the skate bag packed and clothing prepared. Should have packed the food the evening before, too. I will NOT skip breakfast regardless, though.

After 3 hours of ice and 1 hour off ice, I am pretty sure I'd be in bed before 10pm!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 12:00:33 AM »
Woke up at 5:45am to be ready to leave house at 6:30am.  First morning session at 6:45am and I'm 5-7 minutes from the rink.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:56 AM »
First morning session in like forever. Went to bed about 10:30pm, woke up 4:45am (dreaming that I missed the alarm), took forever to pack lunch and fruits and eat breakfast. Quick shower and left home 5:20am for 6:15am session. Worked out surprisingly well, the session was fairly empty because it's summer.

What I learned: good to have the skate bag packed and clothing prepared. Should have packed the food the evening before, too. I will NOT skip breakfast regardless, though.

After 3 hours of ice and 1 hour off ice, I am pretty sure I'd be in bed before 10pm!

I've been known if I'm worried I won't have time to sort breakfast to have poured the bowl of cereal the night before so just need to add milk. Toast takes too long to make, although I know the coaches have it and then eat it while driving.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
I've been known if I'm worried I won't have time to sort breakfast to have poured the bowl of cereal the night before so just need to add milk. Toast takes too long to make, although I know the coaches have it and then eat it while driving.

My breakfast only needs milk and microwaving, but I'm have to finish it an hour before the session starts, otherwise I'd be too full to skate.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
My breakfast only needs milk and microwaving, but I'm have to finish it an hour before the session starts, otherwise I'd be too full to skate.

I do second breakfast on skating mornings. I eat enough so I'm OK to skate shortly after eating and I'm not starving, but not enough to get me to lunchtime. I then eat a second small breakfast afterwards to top up what I should have eaten the first time around.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »
I do second breakfast on skating mornings. I eat enough so I'm OK to skate shortly after eating and I'm not starving, but not enough to get me to lunchtime. I then eat a second small breakfast afterwards to top up what I should have eaten the first time around.

Thanks. For me it's full breakfast plus top up afterwards to last thru the first session, sigh. But without freestyle it's a bit easier, will see what changes I could make for next week :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
sigh.  it's not so much the going to bed early it's staying asleep until the alarm goes off for me this past couple of weeks. I don't need to be up at 3 am!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Regarding breakfast, I've resorted to simply having a clif shot on the way to the rink since I already had a bunch in my car (my local REI was giving them away for free back in May, and since I was in there often preparing for a camping trip I'd grab a handful each time I went.. so I ended up with a lot of them)... since I am not skating marathon sessions and not super early and I don't normally eat much for breakfast, it's been working out very well for me.. some of them even have caffeine so I can skip my coffee too :)