You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What motivated you to test and compete?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
What motivated you to test and compete?
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »
My home rink is allegedly recreational and relatively few skaters actively compete, kids and adults alike. Rink culture, I guess.

So USFS Adult Nationals will be in town next year, and I seriously considered for a moment to test up and compete. Then I gave up because of the test requirements, training time restraints, and various financial commitments. I am just really content with training most of the time and maybe doing one or two rink shows a year.

Do you remember the moment when you decided to go through testing and compete? Was it the goal when you first stepped on the ice? What motivates you, then and now?  ;)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What motivated you to test and compete?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
My coach told me to.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
It was always expected at my rink. As early as Basic 8 we'd be learning Pre-pre MITF patterns in group lessons. Competition was also somewhat expected.

The moment I decided to do all the tests was probably around the time I was beginning to think of coaching.
Since National/regional competition is not doable for me, I decided to instead make a goal of passing the Senior tests.

My coach just expects that her students will test. As soon as I passed Prelim moves, I was taught Pre-juv moves and a goal test date was set. It's not are you testing, it's when are you testing? I actually can't think of a single private-lesson student in the entire rink who doesn't test. There might be a few who don't compete, or don't compete very often.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
When I started skating in the Adult Basic classes in LTS, I had no plans to jump, spin, compete or test.  I didn't want to add stress to my favorite activity.  But after I eventually made it through the LTS classes, I skated aimlessly for a couple of months and realized I needed a goal.  I skated a program in the holiday recital, and loved choosing music, learning the program, getting a dress, having the ice to myself.  Then I watched an adult take her Bronze tests and skate at the annual competition.  She encouraged me to just try it, so I started private lessons, learned a competition program and took my Pre Bronze tests.  I had a lot of fun at the competition (can't say I had fun at the tests, those are pure stress), so I've stuck with it.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
My rink is very recreational too, not many people compete, and those who do travel to ISI events (we are not an ISI rink).  There are a few USFS eligible skaters.  

I tested because that was always my goal. I wanted to see how high I could get, and I thought that I'd be able to do MITF for quite awhile.  MITF are fun.  However, due to injury and changes, I'm done. (Still working on the bronze free, but free was never really my goal for tests- I can't jump.) So I went over to competing to get my fill.

However, I think competition is just plain fun.  It is a chance to go out there and really DO your program, and get all sparkled up.  It also gives a POINT to all the lessons, a goal and a chance to show off the skills I've aquired.

I was really really aiming for Nationals in Chicago.  I've been injured the past few chances I had to take the bronze test, and now I'm just behind.  I think I could maybe get the test in time, but I'm not sure...  Then I blew the budget, so I won't be going anymore.  I'm thinking about still going to Chicago for the weekend to watch though...

That's the downside to competitions.  They are EXPENSIVE.  A $95 entrance fee for 1 min 30 seconds of skating.  By comparision our club exhibitions cost $30.  Competitions and exhibitions are about the same to me.  (No one in this area is the same level as me.  I either beat someone who is lower than me, or someone higher than me beats me.  There is no "who was the best skater on that day" it's just "who was the best skater, on any day")

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »
My coach told me to.

This.  I was a kid so it's what you did.

When I started back up as an adult and did a couple of adult nationals I decided because I love competing and performing.

Now I'm considering taking my last 2 dance tests, the motivation is just something to do.  :)  It's hard to find a partner to compete in dance so why not try to get my last 2 tests.

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
I test because it gives me a goal to work toward and I like that I can say that I have achieved a certain level of skill. I don't care for competing because it takes away from working towards my tests and it's not enjoyable on an individual level.  I do like competing on my synchro team, though.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:20 PM »
I'm deep into AOSS but did not get the memo on competitive spirit. To me non qualifying competitions do not offer more than rink shows, maybe with the exception of meeting skaters outside of one's usual circle. I think rink friends and forum satisfied my social needs as a skater already.

And my skating goal is purely technical, thus training for programs constantly makes me feel like losing training time... On the other hand, I can see testing as proof of accomplishment, AFTER I reach my goal, if ever. (Hopefully Coach will act as guard along the way to make sure everything I do on ice meets his standards.)

Thank you everyone for sharing, it was very helpful to read your responses!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »
For me, my desire to test comes from wanting to fulfill a sense of personal accomplishment... more if "yes, I did it!" than anything else. 

I can learn the moves, and I can work on them, but it's just not quite the same without the pressure to test them.

I'm not a competitor though - performing is just not in me, and I find it stressful. 

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
I never did it when I was younger and when I came back I just wanted to. :)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »
By nature I'm an extremely competitive person, so for me, competing was always on the cards. It was just a question of how many tests I passed between starting and getting to the competition.

As for testing, mostly it was just so that what I was learning could have a structure. And goals. I like that there's a double row of Aussie Skate badges on my wall.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 12:48:09 AM »
Testing was one of my original goals when I started skating at 18. And after a few months of private lessons, my coach said "there's a competition coming up, I think you should do it." So I did. I came in 4/6 and decided that wasn't so bad, so I did more of them after that. I really enjoyed both testing and competing, so I definitely recommend it to my own students.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 03:27:49 AM »
When I moved into privates from group lessons the coach suggested testing as a way to continue learning things, so I started testing moves. When I got my free coach she suggested competing. I'd never done a program up to that point but apparently it's what you're meant to do when you learn to spin and jump!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »
Because all the kids were doing it  :D

I started learning level 1 field moves while working on my star grades (I guess low level freestyle would be the equivalent, it covers spirals, waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, beginner back spin and upright spin). I'd been doing them for quite a while before coach asked "you DO want to test, right?" lol!

I wanna test (haven't yet, STILL working on my crossovers for level 1 fm) because it's a goal to work towards, and it makes me work on things i might not like (figure of eight three turns and mohawks in sequence for level 2 field moves have already begun!), but that otherwise won't improve and i'll hate them even more!

I've done two competitions. One, my first, was a regular open at my home rink. Several adults entered at my level but due to restricted numbers, i was the only one who got in, so was competing against kids aged 11 and up. I came last but skated my best and enjoyed the experience.  The second was an adult only competition that i travelled to, where i again came last, but it was my first time competing on a different rink which felt strange, so i didn't skate my best.

I reeeeeally wanna get my level 1 fm done soon! And then progress up the levels. I'd also like to do Free and Elements tests. Once I do these I won't be able to compete against kids, because to pass the level 1 test you only need toe loop, waltz or salchow, and upright spin, but to compete at level 1 you need up to lutz, combination jumps, combination spins etc. But my coach doesn't want me to do kids competitions again anyway. I was never planning to avoid tests so i could still compete at beginner (not sandbagging, i come last at beginner, i'd be laughed out of level 1 lol!).

I compete because the kids kept asking me if i was doing the competitions they were, and when my home rink had an open i decided to go for it! I already had a program, so after sussing out that i was actually allowed (being an adult skater), I asked coach and hey presto! I liked the dress, sparkles, having the ice to myself elements.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
I think that it definitely depends on the rink culture or maybe the area you live in.  When I skated as a kid, it was expected that you would compete, and this was when I started off with the ISI Learn To Skate group lessons.  Now that I am an adult, I still find that most of the rinks around here expect you to compete, (all of the rinks I skate at are USFS..perhaps that might have something to do with it to?)  When I got back into skating, my coach expected me to test and compete and I do, not just because my coach has pushed it, but I enjoy the feeling of working towards that goal of getting something just right, or trying to skate the best that I can:)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
LOL.I don't know if this can qualify. As I never Tested or competed. But competitive skaters DO get me wishing that I could be just as good as them,skate like them,and compete.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »
I'm just not competitive. And the few times I have felt competitive (back when I did a different sport), I didn't really like that person. Normally, I just want everyone to do well.

I also don't particularly need a goal in order to motivate myself. I'm fine with making progress for its own sake (when I don't make progress - that's another story). But I would like to test dance, just to prove I can. It does give me something to work towards, but it won't be a disaster if I don't make it. I think I can probably reasonably expect to pass the first two levels of dance at some point, and maybe one or two dances from the third level, but not all of them (that level inexplicably includes Silver Samba  88) ).

This assumes I'm ever able to pass that stupid preliminary test of course. I found my old test results from when I skated as a teenager the other day. It included a pass for a test called 'Figure 1 Preliminary' - I'm wondering if I can persuade the powers that be that I've therefore passed preliminary... ;D

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
One, because my coach asked if I'd thought about it; two, because it validates all the hours I spend improving (however slowly) my skills.  I'm competitive by nature and having a goal to work towards is very satisfying.  I also like being able to skate a program solo-I don't get that opportunity in our shows.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »
Well, I took the tests in order to compete.  I competed after being semi-goaded into it by my DD and several other rink parents.  I mean I am usually at the competition for her anyway, might as well skate.  One time, I entered a competition as a way to motivate DD to work on her axel.  I agreed to do the Jump & Spin with her if she would do her axel as the jump and I would do the backspin.  The kid landed both - they weren't great, but they were landed. 

I also like being able to skate a program solo-I don't get that opportunity in our shows.
This is a huge part of it for me.  I really don't enjoy the competitive part of the competition - who placed first, last, etc.  I don't plan to do any competitions right now and really miss having a program to work on.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »
Testing gives me a goal to work towards. Otherwise, I'd just be (blocked)ing around the rink. Although I have competed, I don't particularly enjoy it. It's OK, but when I do compete, I am motivated in the same way: it gives me a purpose.