You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What is this footwork?  (Read 3694 times)

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
What is this footwork?
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:05 PM »
Can someone tell me what this move is? I wondered if its 'advanced xovers'?

I'm working on parts of the next level up & this is written in the syllabus but I can't figure out how it looks... My coach is sick at the moment so I can't ask her...

"Backward one-foot glides around a circle, sustaining a BO & BI glide, with foot pushing in front and then passing to behind skating foot"

Offline Sushi

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: What is this footwork?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21:50 PM »
Sound like backwards crossovers.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »
Back progressives?

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:39 PM »
Since the move is backward one-foot glides, I think it just means to push to the front (necessary to propel one backwards) and after the pushing foot leaves the ice, bring it back past the skating foot.
My glass is half full :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
Sounds like step behinds (cross behinds) not cross overs.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:31 AM »
Since it's backwards one foot on edges, it sounds like back progressives to me.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
Sounds like step behinds (cross behinds) not cross overs.
+ 1

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »
I'm wondering if it's just wanting a backward edge (inside or outside) where the free foot initially pushes in front and then is brought to behind.

It's not advanced crossovers, because backcrossovers are actually listed on the requirements for this level - I looked it up.
Continuous back edges are on the next test, so that's what makes me wonder if it's a building block to back edges. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:21 PM »
Honestly from the description it sounds a bit like backwards stroking on a circle, making it clear that you don't leave the free foot in front during the move, similar to doing the continuous back edges, except instead of going from outside to outside or inside to inside, you stay on the same curve, and just switch feet, from outside to inside.

It might be best to ask a coach who is familiar with these tests though.. since a majority of us are in the US

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
I'm wondering if it's just wanting a backward edge (inside or outside) where the free foot initially pushes in front and then is brought to behind.

That's exactly what I just said.
My glass is half full :)

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
Much appreciate the advice everyone!

It's not advanced crossovers, because backcrossovers are actually listed on the requirements for this level - I looked it up.
Continuous back edges are on the next test, so that's what makes me wonder if it's a building block to back edges. 

LOL that would be too sensible for them! given the arguments between xovers & xcuts and at one time both were listed in the syllabus as different things.... but you may be right, they might decide to be sensible this time :)

Honestly from the description it sounds a bit like backwards stroking on a circle, making it clear that you don't leave the free foot in front during the move, similar to doing the continuous back edges, except instead of going from outside to outside or inside to inside, you stay on the same curve, and just switch feet, from outside to inside.

It might be best to ask a coach who is familiar with these tests though.. since a majority of us are in the US

Good advice - but I think you hit it in terms of describing what it looks like - I've just discovered on the front page of NZISA that there is a link to 2011 changes to the Kiwiskate syllabus & this move has been re-worded to back 1 foot glides on a circle but I'll bet what they want is back 1 foot glides with the edges like you describe!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »

Since it's backwards one foot on edges, it sounds like back progressives to me.

I wonder if it's the start to back progressives, since one thing beginners seem to find difficult in back progressives is getting the BO-BI-BO thing happening?  If that's what it is, it seems a bit odd doing that before teaching formal back edges though (per fsk8r, continuous back edges are on the next test up)?

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »
Bizarre I've never even seen or heard of these! Is there a youtube clip or something out there, maybe I have but just don't know it!

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
you might be talking about back 8's - from pre-juvenile moves. those KILLED me. i failed the first time i took that test because of the damn back 8s!