You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

What are you testing?

Basic Skills / Freeskate
0 (0%)
ISI Alpha-Gamma / Freestyle
3 (7%)
Moves in the Field
18 (41.9%)
Freeskate
7 (16.3%)
Ice Dancing
7 (16.3%)
Pairs
0 (0%)
Figures
1 (2.3%)
Other - tell us more!
1 (2.3%)
Nothing soon, sigh
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Who's Testing?  (Read 6870 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Who's Testing?
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »
The archived "Who is testing?" thread was out of date, so I figured we could just create a new one.

So, who's planning to test in the near future?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Who's Testing?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »
I am actively working on Senior Moves in the Field (I will try them a few times standard, but if needed, we will do them at adult standard). I am also working on intermediate MITF. I also marked "other" because it's not yet, but I will be taking dance as soon as I finish moves. I didn't want to mark dance because that is a future thing :)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:10:03 PM »
I'm working very hard on my Bronze MITF. I think I'm becoming obsessed.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:48:27 PM »
I'm booked to test 14step and foxtrot towards the end of the year, but not sure whether I'm going to get in on the test - I've been unofficially told that it's already pretty full.  It's the last accessible test for the year (even so, I have to travel outside my home city), so I hope I can get on (and even more so I hope I pass!)  I'll know more in the next few weeks.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »
I'm working on the new Intermediate moves. Hopefully try them late fall or early winter.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
I am working on Bronze moves in the field, no idea when they will be good enough to test; and will plan on taking my pre-bronze freestyle test sometime this year.  I've tossed around the idea of taking the Dutch Waltz ice dance test but 'eh not a high priority right now (so I didn't check it). :P
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
I'm working on Gold MIF - hoping to pass them someday.... Right now, I'm just trying to get back to where I was before I broke my leg. My coach has taught me the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango - I may test dance someday, may not. I think I'm done with FS testing - I passed through Bronze, but am nowhere near ready to test Silver and I wouldn't be competitive anyway - I'm a test-level Bronze.

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
I'm taking pre-pre MITF & FS and PreBronze MITF & FS as soon as I can find a local test date that fits my schedule.  I want to get to Bronze before Adult Nationals so I can at least make an appearance.  The sit spin is my biggest hurdle.  I think too much when I try to spin and over control myself to out of control.

The pre-pre path is because I want to coach one day and I would like to have the skills and badge of senior moves.  My main concern with that is by the time my MITF are up to senior level in five or six years I may not have the jumping muscles to stay up for a triple - fighting the calendar.  At least, though, I will be past the Adult Gold.

Now if only I can master a backspin...

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »
Go for it Jim!! But don't sweat the triples--most coaches never did them in their heyday and you certainly don't need 'em to pass Senior...

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »
I had promised my girls that when they were ready for Preliminary, I'd take it too.  I better get on the ball - they're working on PM seriously.  I can't let them show me up, lol.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Minerva

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:47 PM »
Working very hard on testing 2 disciplines:

MITF- Silver Moves - Maybe next year some time...
Dance - Hickory Hoedown (Bronze Dance)

Freestyle is not happening anytime soon...I can't do the spins required for the Bronze test.

Offline Mrs Redboots

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 28
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:55 AM »
Not planning on testing any time soon, although in my dreams I'd like to pass my Level 4 compulsory dances before I hang up my skates.  Can't really see it happening, though.  Moves tests are out of the question, because you have to do spirals and I am too inflexible to get my knee up above my hip in the approved fashion.  So as I was grandfathered a couple of tests, I spend my time working on those moves from earlier tests that I don't yet have to passing standard!

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
Testing Pre-Pre moves as soon as I can find a test date at one of my two preferred rinks.  Right now the earliest test date my club has is November, but that may be at the "other" rink they hold tests at, which is a big pain for me to get to, and I really don't want to wait that long, or even worse, til December.  I'm guessing the other club in the area may have something sooner/closer to home, but they haven't published their fall test schedule yet.

Having tested Pre-Bronze and Bronze FS before adults were required to do MITF, I have tried testing Silver MITF twice with "retries" both times.  After breaking my wrist from falling while working on the 8-step, I decided I need to work on the prerequisite skills if I am ever to pass Silver (which I only want to do because I want to test the FS, and in my wildest dreams, eventually Gold FS).  I know I'm making things harder on myself by working on standard track moves but I really think the progression of skills is better than the pick-and-choose thing they did on the adult tests.  Not to mention, at least in my area, the judges have seen enough standard track tests to know what a passable one should look like.  I'm still not convinced that is the case on the adult moves tests. 

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
Right now I am saying I will never test moves again, but I will probably break down in 6 months or so, start working on them, and pass them.  Or I'll fail again and decide never to test moves again.  Repeat cycle.

I am still thinking about competing solo dance at Buckeye, and I might go ahead and test a Bronze dance or two at some point.  We'll see.

I would like one of my students to test Pre-preliminary moves in December, and I think I will start nudging her in that direction, but I'm not sure yet if she will actually do it.

Offline jazzpants

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Working on Silver Moves.  Know for sure right now I'm nowhere close to ready to test right now.  Maybe someday... *sigh*  :(
Cheers,
~jazzpants~

On hiatus from competition. Working towards getting back to it.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
Have been working on Gold MIF forEVER!!  Two tries so far, and two invitations to try again. Got tired of pounding my head against the wall  :bash and took a break from them for the last year or so. Guess I'll start working on them again this Fall when I'll start getting more ice time again. I vow to conquer them SOMEDAY.

Offline Sierra

• Total GOE: 97
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
My coach asked me about testing in November. (Pre pre moves). I'd have to join the club, so it's up to Mom. By the time we join the club and pay testing fees it'll be over $200.

I'm familiar with all the Pre pre patterns so it won't be much of a problem to prepare. Only my back edges need work. And anyway, don't you have to really, really screw up not to pass pre pre? I could probably do Pre prel with some practice, too.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »
I am working on Silver Moves and they aren't even close to passing right now.  I started them in May and while I've made some progress on the 8 step, Cross strokes, and power pulls, the back 3 turns continue to elude me and one of my spirals is passing, but the other is not.

ISI Worlds will be local in 2011. In November, I am taking the ISI Bronze test.  Since I passed, USFS Bronze FS, I can go right to the ISI Bronze test.  From what the coach says, we can just pick which elements I want to do from ISI FS 1-3.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
Found a test date for my pre-pre moves, at my home rink.  Nov. 1.  It's not my home club, but I don't really care.  Home club has a session later in November but they supposedly aren't sure which rink they are having the session at, and I don't want to put in my money only to find out it's at the more distant rink.  Besides, the date works better for my coach.

Shouldn't have any huge issues passing these.  Spirals aren't great, esp on my right foot, but they are at least hip-height which is what I need.  Strict instructions from my coach to practice them on my bad side the FULL length of the rink every day between now and the test (ick, yuck, phooey).

Offline Sierra

• Total GOE: 97
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 06:53:59 PM »
I could probably do Pre prel with some practice, too.

Meant Prelim, not Pre prelim. Silly me.

I'm definitely testing & joining the club, anyhow. Yay!