You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Snack advice for warm-up/mid-session?  (Read 5676 times)

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 19
Snack advice for warm-up/mid-session?
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
Just curious as to a healthy snack that could be consumed possibly as you warm-up or after skating for an hour and you want some bonus energy? I was thinking Nature Valley bars for their ease and consumability, but I'm not sure since they have sugar and other such potentially bad stuff. Tried looking through the search function for a thread similar to this and nothing really jumped out at me! Thanks! :-)

Quote from: Google Translator
Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Snack advice for warm-up/mid-session?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:43:10 AM »
I'm not a nutritionist, so don't take my comments as gold,  but I think the nature valley bars (in the single pack) are a good snack when coupled with a protein like peanut butter or string cheese. When I worked at a camp for kids with type 1 diabetes, that is what we'd give them for a snack.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »
my old staple is a banana (or apple) with string cheese

Offline kck

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
Also, I apologize for pitting it in the wrong thread. I know off-ice is for the nutrition and workout.. But I figured since I would want a snack real quick and get back out there itd be closer to on-ice then something I'd do a day before skating :-P Sorry! Oh and I love the Nature valley bars. Maybe ill try the apple or banans + string cheese. Whatever works best. Keep coming with what you do people! :-D

Quote from: Google Translator
Somehow I doubt that a competitor not only lamented that did not skate her best, because the ice cake.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
This isn't a snack, but I go with steaming hot coffee during a break and nothing makes me happier than a yummy bowl of ramen noodles after skating for 90 minutes.

Some people prefer apples and cheese to snack bars (too sugary).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
Also, I apologize for pitting it in the wrong thread.

Don't worry too much- threads seem to get moved all the time, sometimes after a drift in conversation changes the topic...

As for a snack- I like peanut butter and crackers, or some string cheese and apple slices
I'm awful about being tempted by the ice cream.  If you are using skating for weight loss, you definetly don't want to let that temptation get to you!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
My skater doesn't eat during ice time.  She has 3 meals and 2 snacks every day.  Pm snack is a Brown cow maple yogurt or half a PB sandwich or nuts and fresh fruit about an hour before she gets on the ice. 

I like Nature Valley, but I can never just eat 1 since there are 2 in a pack!  :D

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
I like the sweet-and-salty nut bars from Nature Valley, but I know they're not the healthiest of their offerings. 

One of the top-level coaches always encourages the kids to eat Zone and Luna bars, but I can't eat more than two bites without feeling like they're stuck in my food pipe.  It must be an allergy or reaction because it happens everytime I have one.  My kids really dislike snack bars entirely, so I suspect that they have the same reaction but don't know how to describe it.

We've finally compromised (if you can call it that) on the Weight Watchers chocolate chip cookie dough bars, but it's purely for convenience.  They have a lot of chocolate in them, but it's better than the sticky buns or doughnuts they'd ask for instead at the snack bar.

I know several people who have food allergies and I spoke to one of the facility managers about the "no outside food" rule.  The manager said it's not a problem for those who have special dietary needs, so that's something to consider for those who have gluten/soy/milk allergies.  The snack bar choices are pretty limited and it's a medical need, so the rule can be waived for them.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:13:09 PM »
Another vote for banana!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »
Another vote for banana!

Just remember to eat any produce ... did you know that clementines explode into a black powdery dust if you leave one in your bag for a month?  (I asked DD if that was her idea of a science experiment.  Yuck.)  Bananas get really nasty when squished and rotted.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
The manager said it's not a problem for those who have special dietary needs

Of course it's not - our rights are protected by the americans with disabilities act :)  To deny us that right is actually against federal law and they can get into BIG trouble for it.

Anyways, I usually go for a banana before (typically grabbed on the way out the door and consumed in the car), and then usually eat lunch after I skate (I almost always skate mid-morning).  If I know I will be skating a long time I plan on a snack mid-session it's usually Fage (greek yogurt) + fruit.

If I don't have any bananas at home or I forget to grab one, I usually opt for a G2 from the vending machine at the rink... and I sip it through practice because I need the carbs :)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
Most people don't use many calories skating. I try to shift when I eat or drink, rather than use it as an excuse to eat more.

I like diluted fruit juice, 15-30 minutes before exercise. If I'm going to work hard, I add handful of potato chips or salt crackers - or sometimes use a sports drink.

If a sports facility forces you to eat unhealthy food, that's unethical! Tell them your doctor has prescribed what you eat.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
I figure if the snack bar is closed, all rules about 'no outside food' are moot. If it's open, then it's a good time to step outside for a breath of fresh air and a snack. Mind you, I don't live above the Mason Dixon line.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
When I was skating mornings, I would get an apple, wash it, dry it, and put in a ziploc baggie.  I would eat if after skating.  Apples are very healthy and the in them is very filling.  The baggie works great to keep the apple clean.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
I like to have a multigrain English muffin with a little bit of cheese about 30-60 minutes before I skate. That keeps me going for a long time.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 08:06:54 AM »
I'm one that has to tote my own food in (along with 3 of the other adult skaters and about 5 of the younger skaters) due to allergies. We bring in an assortment of snacks: bananas, apple slices, various bars, fruit/vegetable juices, cheese, crackers, granola, nuts, etc. We have found that our snacks tend to be far healthier than those sold in the snack bar (and less dangerous).

The best thing to do is eat about 1-2 hours before you skate so your meal is not sitting in your stomach trying to digest while you are working out.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
The best thing to do is eat about 1-2 hours before you skate so your meal is not sitting in your stomach trying to digest while you are working out.

I agree with that! I found that only a couple of things are light enough for eating before skating for me, including English muffins and yogurt. When I used to row on the Schuylkill in Philadelphia, all I could eat before training was half an English muffin with a tiny bit of cheese. It's much more strenuous than anything else I've done.