You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: skating and periods  (Read 16239 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
skating and periods
« on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »
Is it okay to skate even when you have your period, or is that a sure way of getting cramps?

And how do elite competitive skaters handle it when they have their periods during competitions?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: skating and periods
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
I can't imagine bowing out of skating for a period.  I'd just use a tampon if it was a comp.  Cramps happen but in my experience the more I move, the less I have cramps.  And advil or tylenol can help.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »
Cramps severity is different for everyone. If it hurts too much, take it easy.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »
I have ridiculously bad cramps - they're not quite as crippling now as they used to be after my doctor put me on the Pill (I used to spend three or four days of every month practically sobbing in pain and bedridden and useless; now it's one day where I'm sluggish and in agony).

I remember being told "exercise will help!" But this is a very individual thing and it depends on what you do, too. I went swimming once and just about drowned from the agony. But I've skated on my period before and have found it actually helps. I always thought the cold would make it worse, but for some reason, the movement actually makes them go away.

If you get bad cramps, you're going to need something a little stronger than Advil or Tylenol. I used to use Naprogesic, but now I use Ponstan, which is much stronger. Beware that both of these must be taken with food or you'll wish you just had period cramps! If you've got a comp, I'd double check with the drugs policy and make sure they're okay to use.

I use a pad more often than a tampon. I use the "invisible" type pad with wings - it's literally invisible under my practice dress so I imagine it'd be invisible under a competition dress. If you're nervous about using a tampon (although with the average age of skaters on here I can imagine you've already used them) I use the "mini" or "slim" type.

(It's amazing how few people seem to know about "invisible" pads though.)

Ultimately though, if your body really doesn't want to get moving, don't force the issue.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
If you have bad cramps, I'd suggest skating but taking it easy (maybe just doing moves in the field or something, rather than skating a full-out program).  In addition to having bad cramps--for which I either take Advil or a prescription drug called "Ponstel--I also notice my lower back is weak for the first few days of my period.  If I push it, I can actually get back spasms and be immobilized for several days.  Not worth it!

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Am I the only one that finds my center of balance to feel "off" during that time?

Offline ferelu

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
I thought I was the only one that felt off balance.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:05:23 PM »
It's your choice - if you feel it interferes with your training or puts you at risk, take a week off every month.

I never paid it much attention, other than to note that skating (or any exercise) would help start the onset and shorten the cycle.  Never noticed any dizziness or off-balance issues, just a shortness of patience with crowds and difficult new elements. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:25 AM »
I decided to cancel my class during my period, as I never know if I'm going to get cramps (turns out I did get cramps on that day). For me, cramps get aggravated by exercise.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »
Is it okay to skate even when you have your period, or is that a sure way of getting cramps?

And how do elite competitive skaters handle it when they have their periods during competitions?

My daughter started hers the day of her spring show preformance this year... she still skated! it was her very first one too. :). She also had it a month later when she competed and she won her event. Periods won't stop skating.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
My daughter started hers the day of her spring show preformance this year... she still skated! it was her very first one too. :). She also had it a month later when she competed and she won her event. Periods won't stop skating.
Wow! I would have died if I started it in her situation. Kudos to her!

I've yet to have one during a competition or test. I used to stress over if I would someday, since I absolutely hate skating with pads and would feel uncomfortable and unconfident in a dress. I solved that by doing away with the pads; so much better now.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
Wow! I would have died if I started it in her situation. Kudos to her!

I've yet to have one during a competition or test. I used to stress over if I would someday, since I absolutely hate skating with pads and would feel uncomfortable and unconfident in a dress. I solved that by doing away with the pads; so much better now.

The funny thing is, she skated very well that night! Her axel was playing a bit of peek-a-boo on her but she landed it in her program. :) It may not have been her best one, but she did it and she skated pretty well that night. I wasn't sure how it would go since she was really self conscious about the pads. I actually think it was good that she got it then, rather then the day of a competition. She tends to do well in shows because the pressure is off her. :) So, being able to skate and do well while having her monthly visitor, gave her the confidence to know it would be just fine if it happened again on a compeition day. Recently, all of the competitions she has competed in have fallen around her period! The next 2 will do the same. Oy! Thankfully she does not experience a lot of cramping.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Thankfully she does not experience a lot of cramping.

Some people don't - I never did until I had kids, and even know, at worse, my cramps are only mildly annoying and don't interefere with ordinary activity.  Unexpectedly heavy flow and um, leaking, well that's an entirely different issue :sweat

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »
With the pill I'm on, I don't get periods  ;D love it!

I think it's individual, it's about whats right for you. No point skating for the sake of it if you're not feeling it. If you're on the pill and can string it together to skip a period, it might be worth it for a test or comp, but partly just to avoid havng an extra thing to stress about.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
Ladies, TMI.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
Wow, finally a giant silver lining to the cloud that is menopause!!  :D

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »
Fortunately, I have no experience with this.

My condolences, and you made me laugh :D

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »
Never noticed any dizziness or off-balance issues, just a shortness of patience with crowds and difficult new elements. 

Ditto.  I'm always surprised there isn't a trail of dead bodies in my wake that week.  It's not pretty. I'm sure I could test or compete just fine, but I don't think the people around me would enjoy it.   :blush: