You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Juv/Int age limits  (Read 19394 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Re: Juv/Int age limits
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »
RE: Sandbagging

Yes, it is bewildering why sandbagging occurs at the lower levels. I can understand that "sandbagging" may be good competitive strategy, but the practice seems just silly in a basic skills competition. I guess that's another plus for ISI competitions; the judges have the power to kick an obvious sandbagger up to the appropriate level (I don't know if that ever happens...). 

A couple posts above: What's up with the haughty attitude you've encountered (clarification: not expressed by you! ; :)) towards TT and ISI competitions? Most coaches I know send their kids to both USFS and ISI competitions. However, a number of years ago I met a coach who regarded ISI as worthless--and she wasn't exactly producing the champions the USFS system is supposed to cultivate.

According to the latest USFS PR, the organization is increasingly recognizing the need to serve recreational skaters.  FigureSpins' point about contacting the USFS program committee about this is a good idea. Yet I bet it wouldn't be the first time.

Offline Ellyn

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
When I was a 14-year-old preliminary skater, there was nothing to do except practice and test if you were over 13 and below intermediate level. Club competitions below juvenile were only for younger kids.

It would have taken a real push for me to pass that third figure test in time to compete intermediate at 17. I was skating 10-15 hours a week, and that wasn't enough to keep up. So I quit.

Now there are plenty of options for skaters who start late, with average ability and moderate practice and lesson time. With today's options, I probably would have stayed in for most of my high school years and enjoyed practicing a program and occasionally competing in preliminary and prejuvenile and open juvenile against other teens or younger kids.

I see a lot of kids in similar situations for whom passing the intermediate tests and competing at regionals at least once before college is their ultimate goal. It would have been for me if there had been anything else to do in the meantime.

They might not get there until they're 17, and they might only manage to squeak past the intermediate test or through the short programs with a couple of iffy doubles, but it's a goal. The minimum requirements for intermediate are achievable for most kids who start at middle school age and put in the ice time. But just meeting those minimum requirements won't get them competitive success at intermediate level.

Lower level or test track events open to teens give them opportunities to compete freestyle in the meantime.

Or they might decide they prefer to focus on artistic events or synchro or solo dance or whatever. At my current club, those options seem to be more popular than test track.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 01:43:13 PM »
RE: Sandbagging
 A couple posts above: What's up with the haughty attitude you've encountered (clarification: not expressed by you! ; :)) towards TT and ISI competitions? Most coaches I know send their kids to both USFS and ISI competitions. However, a number of years ago I met a coach who regarded ISI as worthless--and she wasn't exactly producing the champions the USFS system is supposed to cultivate.

I think a lot of it stems from being able to work with the "right" coach in our area.  Certain coaches won't work with kids who are not "competitive" and you can't "not work with those coaches" so TT and skating Open Juv/Open Prejuv because that's where your skills is right out...