You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: San Jose area rinks  (Read 1728 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
San Jose area rinks
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
What rinks are there around San Jose?  Could you please share your experiences at each one?

What are freestyles like, are they crowded? Which sessions are less crowded?
What are publics like?  Are jumps/spins allowed on those?
Are there a lot of adult skaters? 

I would appreciate any info you could share:-)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: San Jose area rinks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:38 PM »
I would like to know too! But anyway I will find out for myself in 2-3 weeks, and I'll be sure to let you know!

Right now I'm looking at sharks ice in San Jose, bc they have publics every night,  and I've signed up for a few classes at ice oasis in redwood city.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:16:21 AM »

What rinks are there around San Jose?  Could you please share your experiences at each one?

What are freestyles like, are they crowded? Which sessions are less crowded?
What are publics like?  Are jumps/spins allowed on those?
Are there a lot of adult skaters? 

I would appreciate any info you could share:-)

So I went to the public at sharks ice in San Jose today. I wasn't sure I should, as it was a Friday night, but it wasn't too bad. Busy, but still enough room for a handful of adults to jump and spin. At that rink, they allow people to take stacks of buckets as skating aids, but they did announce multiple times that the buckets on this session could only be used at the wall, and people seemed to follow that direction. The facilities are nice(new, modern, multiple ice surfaces)

Tomorrow I'll check out ice oasis and report back if you're still curious! :)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
Thank you for the report!  Yes, please let me know about the Oasis.  Any experience with the freestyles?

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:37 PM »
 :stars: Hello fellow San Jose skater!

My main rink is Sharks Ice. If you want to skate at night with no kids, Tuesday night is adults only. :D The people there are awesome!

I don't have experience with Freestyle, but I heard it actually gets crowded and that Public skate is better.  :-\

There definitely is a lot of room for jumping on Tuesday nights. Adults are more likely to follow the rule of "stay out of the middle if you aren't a freestyle skater." XD

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
San Jose area rinks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
If I lived in the area, I would totally pick sharks ice too. Ugh I hate when my whole post disappears!

Iomoon, do you take lessons at sharks ice? Perhaps I will take some there, since it is closer to my hotel, and I'll be in the area till October!

Irenar5, when will you be in the area? Ice oasis is decent, though they keep it pretty cool. I did notice a condensation drip

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »
If I lived in the area, I would totally pick sharks ice too. Ugh I hate when my whole post disappears!

Iomoon, do you take lessons at sharks ice? Perhaps I will take some there, since it is closer to my hotel, and I'll be in the area till October!

Irenar5, when will you be in the area? Ice oasis is decent, though they keep it pretty cool. I did notice a condensation drip

Yep! My coach Reggie is a sweetheart. There are a lot of other great coaches there.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:15:00 AM »

Yep! My coach Reggie is a sweetheart. There are a lot of other great coaches there.

Glad to know! Perhaps I'll check out the adult skate tomorrow and watch a bit of the adult class beforehand