You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Test Chair Question  (Read 3568 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Test Chair Question
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
I am hoping someone can answer this question for me. I am the test chair for my daughter's club.There is an adult skater who is new to the area and she is wanting to test next month. She is an individual member and therefore is not a part of any club. Who signs her form on the section where it asks for a club officer signature? Does she need a letter from USFS saying she is in good standing? I can check to see if her membership is current, but do I need to do more? What do I need her to do? Anyone know? I was planning on calling USFS tomorrow and the previous test chair... hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance and I am sorry if this question was confusing. LOL!

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
Re: Test Chair Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »
She signs her own papers. You only need check her USFS membership and tests passed. She has no club to owe money to, so no "good standing" check needed. I suppose you could check with her coach if you really feel the need.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
She signs her own papers. You only need check her USFS membership and tests passed. She has no club to owe money to, so no "good standing" check needed. I suppose you could check with her coach if you really feel the need.

All  you have to check is to see if her membership with USFS is up to date.  You can do that by looking at skater history.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:16:18 AM »
I suppose you could check with her coach if you really feel the need.

Though keep in mind not all adult skaters have coaches, so it is possible she will fully sign her own papers.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
Though keep in mind not all adult skaters have coaches, so it is possible she will fully sign her own papers.
True. Which sometimes test chairs have a problem with -- they want someone to check that the skater is ready for this test and won't be taking up valuable test ice with no hope of passing.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »

Thank you! That makes perfect sense! I appreciate your reply. I don't think I need to bother checking with her coach...

Offline isakswings

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:39:27 AM »
Thanks so much! I appreciate all of the replies. :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:13 AM »
True. Which sometimes test chairs have a problem with -- they want someone to check that the skater is ready for this test and won't be taking up valuable test ice with no hope of passing.

I guess the Club could put those tests at the end of the session... :pop  It seems, to me, that most of the test sessions I've watched have had a few last-minute scratches, so the sessions start to run early, freeing up time.

I thought that the USFSA instituted a rule requiring the coach's approval for tests, after Michelle Kwan tested before Frank Carroll felt she was ready?  (Her father signed the permission form.)  

She passed the test, but his concern was that she wasn't ready to compete at that level and would have refused to sign the form.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline isakswings

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
I guess the Club could put those tests at the end of the session... :pop  It seems, to me, that most of the test sessions I've watched have had a few last-minute scratches, so the sessions start to run early, freeing up time.

I thought that the USFSA instituted a rule requiring the coach's approval for tests, after Michelle Kwan tested before Frank Carroll felt she was ready?  (Her father signed the permission form.)  

She passed the test, but his concern was that she wasn't ready to compete at that level and would have refused to sign the form.

I was under the impression that a coach needed to be with a skater in order for the skater to test at all. Maybe I am confusing this with a competition rule? Also, I am pretty sure all the test forms I receive require the coaches approval/signature and with out that, the form is considered incomplete. Technically, any form I receive that does not have all the required signatures should be returned to the skater. I have not done this however, I HAVE notified the skaters and their coaches if the skater is missing anything and this has been taken care of the day of the test. If it was a major error, I would send the application back to the skater.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »

When I was coachless (a friend helped me with my test, in my opinion, she's a coach, but she is uninsured, and unaffiliated with any skating organization), I asked USFS about this.  The respnse to my email was that "if you have a coach, you must get approval.  If you do not have a coach, then there is no one to get approval from."  There is no rule that requires a skater to have a coach.

Skaters can put themselves on the ice for tests and competitions.  A coach is not required to be present.  However, the only person who can put them on the ice is a coach, you can no longer have a friend stand in.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
skittl, that is interesting. I've always thought skaters had to have a coach with them for competitions. I knew no one but a registered coach can put them on anymore so I guess I took that as you couldn't compete without having a coach. Interesting.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:13:55 PM »
Adults often test and compete without their coach present. Usually because they just can't afford the extra fees and don't feel the necessity anyway. I've never had a coach at a competition. She has been at a few of my test sessions, but not usually. She just makes sure I'm well prepared before I go.

Some don't have a coach at all. This would spell disaster for me!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
... I asked USFS about this.  The respnse to my email was that "if you have a coach, you must get approval.  If you do not have a coach, then there is no one to get approval from."  There is no rule that requires a skater to have a coach.

That covers the bases, thanks.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
Adults often test and compete without their coach present. Usually because they just can't afford the extra fees and don't feel the necessity anyway. I've never had a coach at a competition. She has been at a few of my test sessions, but not usually. She just makes sure I'm well prepared before I go.

Some don't have a coach at all. This would spell disaster for me!!

My teen DD often tests ice dance without her ice dance coach.  We have to travel for her to test with a partner and dance coach doesn't want to (my DD is the only ice dance student she has).