You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult Virtual Skating Camp - Feb 2021  (Read 3549 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Adult Virtual Skating Camp - Feb 2021
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:23:24 AM »
Saw this on the Book of Face:

Adult figure skaters! ⛸ Are you ready to get re-focused on your training this year?

I’m so excited to be sharing this amazing 4 Day virtual Bootcamp presented by Adult Skating SOS™, designed specifically for Adult Skaters!

In the “Find Your Flow: Get Out of Your Head and Into The Ice” four-day immersion, you'll jumpstart your training for 2021, learn from world-renowned coaches, and connect with a community of passionate and like-minded adult skaters all from the comfort of your own home. No ice needed!

Our lineup of top coaches includes... Paul Wylie, Jojo Starbuck, Evelyn Kramer, Kim Navarro, Douglas Webster, Kathleen Kelly Cutone, Mimi Wacholder, and Katya Semoulkhina!

All skill levels and ages are encouraged to attend, and this immersion Bootcamp is geared towards an adult thinking process, giving you easy-to-grasp instruction and methodologies. As a bonus, classes will be recorded!

The virtual Bootcamp runs February 12-15, 2021, and space is limited.

We hope to see you there! To register and get the early-bird rate,
visit: https://bit.ly/39yxcbG

#adultsskatetoo #adultfigureskaters #adultathletes
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Adult Virtual Skating Camp - Feb 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:57:36 AM »
That is ridiculously expensive for zoom.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »

Do you think so? It includes very high end coaches, who most adult learners don't have access to. While I would guess it isn't all private lessons I assume that it includes interactive personal help (i.e., they watch each skater do the move, and provide feedback), and is more than a passive video. I've been in some very well run focused group lessons like that that were very helpful, though not through Zoom, and not with as well-known coaches.

I think to take advantage of it, you should have someone (preferably on the ice) hold your mobile device (preferably with a screen bigger than most phones) to keep the screen and front camera pointed at yourself. So that for almost all purposes, if it is done right, it would be like having an in-person lesson.

I don't know if they let the students use the zoom Record function to record the lesson - though it says the sessions will be recorded.

However, I don't know what other high end coaches are charging for Zoom lessons.

Do other people think it is too high?

P.S. I am a little puzzled that they don't indicate the skating level. It would perhaps be more helpful to the student if they were all about the same level. It would also be nice if they listed the maximum class size, so you can guess how much interactive help is available.

P.P.S. There appears to be a descrepancy between the stated # of hours and the schedule - unless there is some fully private instruction not included on the schedule. Also, they don't indicate the number of hours each coach will be teaching, and what skills they will focus on. But maybe you get that info if you ask.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 03:18:59 PM »
Oh wait. I didn't see the part about it being from the comfort of your home. I assumed it was on-ice.  :nvm:

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 06:37:53 PM »

Very much so! And the $2000 live for 20 hours still works out to $200/hour. Still ridiculously high.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
Very much so! And the $2000 live for 20 hours still works out to $200/hour. Still ridiculously high.

$2000 / 20 hours = $100/hr.

Plus they cited 20+ hours - though as I mentioned, the listed schedule only includes 17 hours.

And maybe they expect to see more people paying the $395 Early Bird Special instead of the $2000 "value" - which they don't actually indicate will be the late bird cost.

A lot of coaches and people who make a living organizing classes are having trouble making a living mid-pandemic. These people are doing what they can to try.

How many do you think will sign up?