You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Costume help?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Costume help?
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »
I have a Broadway routine that needs a sparkly costume.  I have something that'll work for my test (black skirt and sparkly top) but I think I might compete with it.  I need something sparkly but also slightly more modest than what I've been finding online for figure skating/dance.  Lots of the sparkly stuff also seems a little... skanky?  And if it's not skanky it doesn't look like it'd be flattering on someone that's not built like a bean pole.  I'm like 30 and that's not going to fly with me.  Any ideas?  I had a custom dress last year and while it was really nice, it was also really expensive and I wore it all of one time because I decided I was tired of the music.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Costume help?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Maybe try a halloween costume website.  The quality is not great but the cost is reasonable especially if you are not planning on wearing it many times.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:52:16 PM »
Have you found something non-sparkly that you like the general look of? It's pretty easy to sparkle it up with either hotfix or glue-on crystals.

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:20:36 PM »
I concur with this. Find either a used or inexpensive dress online. For $50 you can add a little sparkle, for $100 a decent amount.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Total GOE: 292
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »
If I was you, I'd really stay away from Halloween costumes. Most of them are not made of stretch materials which could make skating a bit restrictive.
Personal preferrence would be a dance dress or a skating dress either used or new without sparkles that you could add some sparkles.  Or maybe something from Discount Dance.
They are having a costume sale at the moment. I just checked and there are a few things that could work for a Jazzy but not Slutty program. Some of the reviews are even write by other skaters.
Good Luck!
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline amy1984

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:14:15 AM »
I ended up ordering this.  Not really sure about it.  We will see.  Plus, I ordered through Paypal and my default address is somehow one I haven't lived at in years that's across the country and I didn't notice until I hit process or whatever.  Oy.  I'm sure it's fixable.  But I feel like a dork :P

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_N7048.html?pid=9399&Shop=Style&SID=612931081

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
That's a really pretty dress, and what a great price!  I did the same thing with PayPal once - go into your profile to change the address, but you should also contact the vendor (quickly!) to request that they change your shipping address on the order before they send it.

Offline amy1984

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 03:38:08 AM »
That's a really pretty dress, and what a great price!  I did the same thing with PayPal once - go into your profile to change the address, but you should also contact the vendor (quickly!) to request that they change your shipping address on the order before they send it.

I tried that but couldn't figure it out :( I emailed discount dance and they canceled the order and I put it through with the right address.  Thank goodness.  All of my non skating friends were like 'It's so short!!!' but my coach thought it was long.  Reality is subjective lol.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »
I tried that but couldn't figure it out :( I emailed discount dance and they canceled the order and I put it through with the right address.  Thank goodness.  All of my non skating friends were like 'It's so short!!!' but my coach thought it was long.  Reality is subjective lol.

I think that dress is so pretty- good find!  Yay on getting the delivery address sorted out- what a heart-in-the-throat moment that must have been.

And you're right about the subjectivity- even within the skating community!  I have a skirt that is a perfectly normal and acceptable freestyle skirt.  But when I got it everyone teased me about how short it is....in the world of ice-dancing they're used to seeing things a good bit longer.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »
That dress looks great! I hope it's as pretty in person. And LOL at the short skirt comments. It is definitely a different mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk