You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea heels  (Read 549 times)

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
Edea heels
« on: January 26, 2024, 01:31:55 PM »
At least it has happened to me a few times that the drill bit has broken into the heel of Edea's heel when I mount the blades. At the moment when you hear the snap of the drill bit and realize that the drill is so deep in the heel that it is impossible to pull it out, drops of sweat begin to accumulate.

The drill bit pressed into the heel of the shoe starts making a rattling sound. You have $500 worth of boots in your hands that rattle and you know you can't leave them like that. At that moment, you start to wonder how Edea's heels looks like from the inside. Hope these pictures help at that point.

Thanks to my friend who shared these photos with us and gave permission to share them here on the forum.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Edea heels
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 10:40:17 AM »
Interesting photos!  Just to clarify:  Does the broken drill bit rattle because you drilled through the entire bottom layer of the heel and the drill bit fell into the cavity and got trapped inside?  So what was your fix?

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 11:55:53 AM »
I always drill trough the bottom layer. When drill went broken, I could see it in the hole, but these was no any change to pull it out. First solution was use blade mounting screw to push the drill bit deeper. I was already celebrating when screw went without any problems and blade mounting was secured. When blade mounting was finished and I did remove skate from blade mounting stand, I realized that heel is not solid. Drill bit was in the cavity and was keeping rattling noise.

It was clear that I cannot leave boots like that. First I though, should I inject some glue into the heel so that it would hold drill bit so that its not rattling. After thinking some while, I concluded that I cannot fill the whole cavity space with glue and if I do not fill it, these is risk that my gluing trick wont last long. I decided to take another risk and I drilled about 8mm hole in the middle of the heel so that blade heel plate covers this hole. I was able to pull that drill bit out trough that hole. Boots worked fine until they were scrapped from another reasons.

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 12:08:31 PM »
Thanks.  Good to know.  I'll try to avoid working on Edeas.  :-)