You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help identifying skates!  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Javelin

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Help identifying skates!
« on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if posts like these aren’t allowed in this subforum but I couldn’t find anything in the rules.

I currently have three pairs of skates that my niece used when she used to skate (5-10 years ago). Unfortunately, I’m having trouble figuring out exactly what kinds of skates they are. It seems like there are thousands and thousands of skate models and nuances like skate width and blade types that I just can’t figure out.

if someone can help me clarify what skates I have and their approximate value, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Pair 1:

This is the pair I’m having the most trouble with. All the boot says is Harlick on the outside and “Harlick Competitor” on the inside. I can’t find anything regarding the size after looking everywhere inside (if it's on the inside ankle, it may have rubbed off). Lengthwise, the boot is exactly the same length as pair 2. The blade says “Professional Freestyle” and “Made in Sheffield / England” and “8.75".

Pair 1 images: http://imgur.com/a/aW28W

Pair 2:

Make: Riedell
F (for figure)
Model: J30
Color: White
Width: Wide
Size: 2.5
Blade mfg: WL
Blade model: Jubilee
Additional comments: “D144100 SKATEBUYS.COM INC”
Written on blades: JKPIW and 8.75”

Pair 2 images: http://imgur.com/a/U8BjI

Pair 3:

Make: Riedell
F (for figure)
Model: 21
Color: White
Width: Wide
Size: 13.5
Blade mfg: ISE
Blade model: Sapphire

Pair 3 image: http://imgur.com/a/suQUx

Thanks for reading!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Help identifying skates!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »
Well, this is easy as you have given us all of the information we need.

The first pair is a Harlick Competitor with a MK Professional Blade size 8.75 (this means that the blade plate is 8.75 inches from front to back.

The second and third pairs are Reidells - looks like a lower-level model with lower-level blades - I would guess that #3 were her first boots, then #2 and then #1.

I'm sorry but I don't know the relative value of the boots and blades.  Have you checked with similar skates and styles on ebay or other sites?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 05:46:50 PM »
Wow - so cool that you could identify those so quickly.  +GOE
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »
The Riedell model 21 is the "Blue Ribbon" model - they are the highest level of the beginner skate sets (so the boots and the blades came together). Not sure what the current equivalent is, as they no longer make that particular model.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
Wow - so cool that you could identify those so quickly.  +GOE

I hope you are being sarcastic!  I just read the descriptors - I didn't look at the photos...

I'm not sure what the question here is exactly until I read the part about wanting to know their value.

I would say that used these boots are not worth that much money but somebody could probably use them.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
No, I'm serious. (And I did give you GOE for the fast turnaround.  I hadn't even seen the OP and you answered completely!)

I was stumped by the first and second ones on the list.  Off the top of my head, I thought only Jackson had a "Competitor" model.  I would have had to look them up in the various documents on my hard drive.  (Which I keep for posterity and reference because my memory is so flaky.)

I knew the third, though.  (21=Girls Blue Ribbon)

Skates are worse than new cars - the second you take them out of the box, they lose more than half of their MSRP.

To the OP: the beginner skates could be included in (or donated to) a skating club's consignment sale.  You won't get much money for them, but they'll at least be used.  There are always newbies looking for cheap skates and they always end up replacing them fairly quickly, especially in the smaller sizes.  Kids usually outgrow/outskate their skates pretty quickly.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
No, I'm serious. (And I did give you GOE for the fast turnaround.  I hadn't even seen the OP and you answered completely!)

Well, sort of... thanks for the GOE - I gave you some too!

The thing I missed the first time I read this post was that the length of pair #2 was athe same as pair #1 - and if the pair #2 is a 2 1/2 in Jackson... what is the equivalent in the Harlick??

I think if someone were looking for a used pair of Harlick Competitors (not a low-level boot - I had a friend - a very good dancer - who had a pair and loved them) - they would just look at the blade size to see if the boot might be right for them - just a thought since there is no size printed in the boot or on the bottom.  Sometimes it is just like that with skates.

And yeah, they lose value like a used car - more so I think - I am always surprised when I see someone trying to sell a used pair of boots for what they paid for them - and I have seen where people have bought them for that price!! I usually have sold my old boots for $35. That seems about right.

Offline Javelin

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »
Thank you all for the prompt replies! If figured (no pun intended) used skates wouldn't be worth much, especially discontinued ones. A cursory eBay search suggests that it's probably not worth the hassle for the Riedell skates but I'll give the Harlicks a shot. If anyone has any more ideas regarding place to sell/cost, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks again for all the help!