You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Barre classes  (Read 7581 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Barre classes
« on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
Anyone here supplementing their off ice with Pure Barre classes?  I'm intrigued, but when I look at the per class price... eek!

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Barre classes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
I have yet to try the Barre method, though I am itching to! I'm trying to find new things to add to my fitness regime...tomorrow I am trying hot yoga, next week I'll probably try barre. At our barre studio, it's only $16 (I've hear some places charge around $40!) I am interested to see what it is like!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
Barre is expensive where I live, too. So I do Jazzercise at home. Bought some old LPs, converted them to CDs, and now do the routine on my own. I've had amazing results with it, at very little cost to me.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:50:28 PM »
Hope it is ok to revive this old thread, but I just realized there is a pure barre across the street from my work. Have any of you guys done it since the original post? I'd love to know your thoughts if you have! :)

Offline robinsnest

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
We have a new one that recently opened near me, and I am thinking of trying it out too.  Just bumping to see if anyone has opinions!
2016: Year 3 on ice!
Pre-Bronze MITF 4/15, Prelim Dances 4/15, Pre-Bronze Dances 12/15, Pre-Bronze FS 5/16, Bronze MITF 5/16, Bronze Dances 9/16
Working on Silver MITF & Pre-Silver Dance
And mom to twin 11-year-old skaters, FS1

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
So, I finally signed up! It appears my local ones do a $15 new client class or a month unlimited for $100 - so perhaps your pure barre (or similar) has the same

At any rate, I've really been enjoying the classes. I'm not terribly technical when it comes to workouts, so I can't really describe much, but not only is it a full body work out, but I do think it will help with skating

A significant portion of the workout is focused on core and legs, which in itself is very good. However quite a lot of these exercises are done in plié, which for me seems to be helping my leg strength and in turn that pesky knee bend.  there is also one sequence that is done almost in spiral position, holding onto the barre with the standing leg slightly bent. Then you do a variety of tucks/squeezes, leg lifts, bending/extending. It really works both legs! There is another sequence we do where you are essentially in stroking position and doing circles, presses, etc with your free leg.

It's surprising how challenging it is given that nearly everything is very small, precise movements. I think it is also another way for me to practice more body awareness overall.

I imagine those of you who manage to work out on your own can watch a barre video and take advantage of a lot of this... Me on the other hand, I definitely need a class to keep me engaged!

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »
A Pure Barre studio just opened a few blocks from my office and I'm doing the 1-month unlimited classes special as well. I agree with littlerain's description of the classes, and it's also got energizing music, which always helps me keep moving. It's intense but not painful; I had a little soreness after the first few classes, but nothing too bad.

It's a lot of fun, and I'm curious to see how it helps my skating.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:18 PM »

A Pure Barre studio just opened a few blocks from my office and I'm doing the 1-month unlimited classes special as well. I agree with littlerain's description of the classes, and it's also got energizing music, which always helps me keep moving. It's intense but not painful; I had a little soreness after the first few classes, but nothing too bad.

It's a lot of fun, and I'm curious to see how it helps my skating.

Woohoo! I'm glad you're enjoying it too. My month ends tomorrow :( it can be pretty pricey too, but I think I'll sign up for their 3 month bride to be special and go 3-4x a week

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »
Since our location is new, they have a 6-month unlimited special for $175/month, which is pretty tempting. I have a few more weeks to run the numbers and think about it.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 11:43:45 PM »
Awesome! I signed up for the bride promotion,  realizing that I'm actually seeing results! I've taken maybe 10 classes now, and my core is stronger, and probably my legs too. I'm even seeing some muscle definition in my arms! 

I haven't skated much this year, sadly, but I think it definitely will transfer :) I think my body awareness/alignment is improving and the improvements in my core have helped my spinning already!

I do think that while pure barre is pricey, if you can go at least 3x a week, it'll come out to much less than $20 a week :)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
I never heard of Barre classes before. I guess they resemble the beginning of some performance dance classes I once took. According to OpenBarreFitness, Barre is

an all-encompasing fitness program that will result in increased muscular strength, flexibility, and caloric burn to create beautiful sculpted bodies. The classes incorporate a mix of ballet, Pilates, yoga, and weight training, and are designed to strengthen and lengthen your muscles for that long lean look

Of course, many of these centers are offering online classes now.

There is a barre class center called OpenBarre Studios in College Park, MD, within walking distance of me - but now only offering online classes.

The good part of online classes is that you can take these classes from the comfort of your home, anywhere in the world. You don't need to be local.

Of course, you can find free classes at Youtube

Youtube search for barre class
  Youtube search for exercise

and elsewhere. One of my favorite sites is still

How To Exercise At Home: The 50 Best Free Online Workout Resources

(Now that I look, it lists "barre" classes too.)

It must be tough for group exercise centers to compete with free online resources. I guess the advantage of the paid facilities is that you don't have to interrupt your exercise to watch ads.

Does anyone know of collections of free exercise classes and routines that do the ads while they continue to teach the exercise? That would be a great idea. :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 08:55:36 PM »
Mod note: duplicate threads merged.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright