You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate suggestions or information?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline savacca19

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Skate suggestions or information?
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
Hi! -
I first started skating 4 years ago but had to stop about 3 years ago. When I left off, I believe I was using riedell 121s, and I was about to purchase new skates, specifically Jackson Elle, when I left off. I passed through basic 4 and almost basic 5 . I'm looking to start up again this early spring at basic 5 and have been looking at various brands and models for skates that will last me at least through basic 7 or 8 in terms of stiffness. I'm currently thinking about either Jackson classique, Riedell 233 stride or Riedell 229 edge. I have fairly narrow feet for my size , my left at 8" around at the widest point and my right 8 1/8".
 What would be a better idea to purchase? Are there any other skates I should consider?
             Thanks!  :)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Skate suggestions or information?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:01:53 PM »
I switched last year from Jackson Classique to Elle… huge different for me.  (Other than just the size; my Classiques were a full size too big for me.)  About the same stiffness, but the Elle has a leather sole/heel, while the Classique is plastic (pvc?).  There's a big weight difference because of that, and you also can't easily move the blades on the Classique if necessary.  So given a choice between those two, that's what I'd recommend.  But you need a brand that fits your foot best as well; if you have narrow feet Riedells might be better but there's really no easy way of knowing without trying them on. (Riedells were awful for me; apparently I have a perfect foot for Jacksons.)  Are you working with a coach who can give you advice on the right level skate, and do you have a good skate fitter to help?

Offline savacca19

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
I skate more recreationally, so I don't necessarily have a coach at the time. As far as skate fitters and pro shops, those are few are far between where I live :( There are plenty of reputable pro shops and fitters near where my aunt lives so that is always an option. thank you for your advice however :)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
If you can get to a fitter I'd definitely recommend it.  Good luck!   :)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:48:33 AM »
I second the fitter recommendation. Some skates fit so differently brand to brand. When I started I was in Reidell 6.5 (shoe size 7.5/8), but when I came back years later, they were both too long and too narrow for my feet and had to switch. Right now I'm in Edea 250 which is about a 6.5/7 shoe.

Take a trip to visit your aunt and get fitted while you're out there so you don't end up spending time and money finding what fits your feet best. :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
The other thing is that I wouldn't think of skates in terms of "getting you through a level" - you need to find a skate and blade combination that will work for you - period.  They should get you through as many levels as you are capable of and last for as long as possible.

I second the recommendation for a good fitter.

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
The two main things that determine what skate to get are weight and skating ability. Assuming you are an adult, your feet aren't growing and your weight is fairly stable. so I would look at a skate that will work for you as your skating improves. (For a child, get what works now, the child's feet will grow and they will soon need new skates which can be upgraded to their ability level at that time). That said, don't get a skate too advanced either, it will be too stiff. Boots that are too stiff or too soft for your weight and skating ability both lead to foot problems.

As for brands, the various brands differ in terms of the last (shape of the sole) they use. Some may be narrower in the heel vs forefoot or the other way arround.

As other posters have said, try to work with a fitter locally. They will look at your feet, inquire about your skating level, check you fit in the boot and provide invaluable guidance in making your selection. If there is no fitter in your area, a trip to the nearest one is worth it, or find out which coaches in your area have experience in fitting and work with them. Beware a coach who says "I want all my skaters in xyz brand," unless of course all their skaters have identical feet.  : )

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »
I think the Op said she had no fitter. We dont either within state so I get it. Good luck !