You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Parent / Coach communication  (Read 4355 times)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Parent / Coach communication
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
This week dd's coach said she wanted to hold off on pre-pre until her axel was more consistent (she is over 80 percent and has landed it in the one comp she had an axel in).  

I feel very surprised because so far it's been 'everything is great', then most recently just that she needs to work on footwork.

Anyway she wanted us to sign up for pre-juv mitf testing.

We love our coach but this was confusing to me and dd because there hasn't been any talk of her axel not meeting standards.  She had a couple weeks where she had new skates so her axel was sloppy while she re-learned them in new skates with new blades.

I did let her know that I didn't think dd would test pre-juv because I'd have to take off work and she would have to take off school and it doesn't seem necessary if she is still no test.  That for us it's easier to do both in one day at a later date.

Still both dd and I are disappointed.  She has really worked hard for pre-pre.  And truthfully we don't care if she comes in last in comps and/or needs to do pre-pre for 2 years.  No test costs the same as pre-pre for comps so it wouldn't be a loss.

So how do you approach the coach to talk more about it?  or do you just go with what the coach says?  A year ago dd was going to test pre-pre but then her coach decided not to have her do it because everyone was doing axels at that level.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: Parent / Coach communication
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:05:52 PM »
I'd go with the coach on this one.  It's apparent she's holding your DD at no test for a very valid reason.   It can be disappointing to not reach a desired goal but in the big picture, it's just a speed bump!  Are you talking about competing or testing?  If your coach doesn't want her to test pre-pre but have her compete pre-pre, that's a different story.  In fact - it's completely not a big deal.  Your DD doesn't have to test her pre-pre FS in order to compete pre-pre. If you're talking about not competing pre-pre yet....well - IMO, the more competitions your daughter gets under her belt, the better - regardless of the level!

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
This is testing only.  She is going to compete prepre for most comps I'm guessing.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »
Well then, it's absolutely nothing to be worried about.  She won't "need" to test pre-pre freestyle until she's ready to compete preliminary with doubles. 

Offline Teresa

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Listen and talk to the coach. The coach can explain her thought process and you and your daughter can share yours. Open communication is a good thing for all.

Teresa

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »
Well then, it's absolutely nothing to be worried about.  She won't "need" to test pre-pre freestyle until she's ready to compete preliminary with doubles. 

Exactly... my dd always skated up a level until she HAD to test into her level for qualifying competition (juvenile).   Not testing pre-pre gives the flexibility to either compete no-test OR pre-pre, while taking the test means she HAS to compete pre-pre or pre.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »
Exactly... my dd always skated up a level until she HAD to test into her level for qualifying competition (juvenile).   Not testing pre-pre gives the flexibility to either compete no-test OR pre-pre, while taking the test means she HAS to compete pre-pre or pre.

I agree! I wish we had held off on having dd test her pre-pre free. She had about a 6 mo period of when her axel was not consistent at all. I want dd to hold off testing preliminary free until she has at least one consistent double jump. She lands 2sal, but she is very inconsistent. I want the option of skating pre-pre at the next comp.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I guess the oddest part was her saying it was dd's axel when everything before had not been about her axel.  The whole conversation felt weird.  If she had said artistry, expression, footwork - any of those things, I would not have been caught off guard.  But really, dd lands a clean axel almost every single time.  She also has her 2s and 2t.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:46:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I guess the oddest part was her saying it was dd's axel when everything before had not been about her axel.  The whole conversation felt weird.  If she had said artistry, expression, footwork - any of those things, I would not have been caught off guard.  But really, dd lands a clean axel almost every single time.  She also has her 2s and 2t.

Hmm... she also has 2sal and 2toe?   Interesting... maybe you should just ask for clarification -- I know mine was skaing preliminary with just a nice 2sal and doing rather well.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »
I am going to talk to her more about it.  My initial reaction has come down a little.  If something is going on, I can talk to her coach about getting another coach for footwork in mini lessons or axels at her practice rink (not her coaches rink) where dd spends most of her skating time.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
Hmm... she also has 2sal and 2toe?   Interesting... maybe you should just ask for clarification -- I know mine was skaing preliminary with just a nice 2sal and doing rather well.

I agree, I would ask for clarification. I am quite certain if mine was landing her axel 80% of the time with a 2 sal and 2 toe, mine would be skating preliminary, not pre-pre and certainly not non-test. Heck, if mine had one consistent double she would be skating preliminary. That said, none of us know your daughter or her coach, so she must have her reasons. :) Are her spins and foot work lacking? Spins are currently my daughter's strong point. Foot work is a work in progress. Good luck talking to her coach.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »
I agree, I would ask for clarification. I am quite certain if mine was landing her axel 80% of the time with a 2 sal and 2 toe, mine would be skating preliminary, not pre-pre and certainly not non-test. Heck, if mine had one consistent double she would be skating preliminary. That said, none of us know your daughter or her coach, so she must have her reasons. :) Are her spins and foot work lacking? Spins are currently my daughter's strong point. Foot work is a work in progress. Good luck talking to her coach.

Doubles are doubles and then there are doubles :)  Are the doubles fully rotated, clean checkout, and solid? or are they works in progress?  That's not uncommon in lower levels - kids are "landing" doubles but, in a couple of years, you'll realize that they were in development mode, not compete-able mode.  It's perfectly normal, and perfectly okay. But, that's why you need to talk to the coach ...

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
I'll have time tonight.  :)  I did notice last night that she wasn't landing but then saw her ankles were huge and she was standing kind of funny.  Her dad tied her skates (still new and stiff) but he only has use of one arm so her skates were not laced tight enough.  So that explains why she has her axel half of the time - when he gets her ready.  She can't do it if she can fit 4 fingers in the ankles.  I'm hoping a skate lacer tool will help, she needs to be able to tell on her own that her skates are too loose and maybe the lacer thing will allow her to do it on her own.  But I noticed the second I saw her, something wasn't right.  I re-laced and she was fine.

I'm not a coach and I'm not really a knowledgeable skate parent.  So I only know she has her two doubles because I was told she does from her doubles class coach.  Her private coach has her work on axel and 2s - not the others - because of time constraints I'm sure.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
Doubles are doubles and then there are doubles :)  Are the doubles fully rotated, clean checkout, and solid? or are they works in progress?  That's not uncommon in lower levels - kids are "landing" doubles but, in a couple of years, you'll realize that they were in development mode, not compete-able mode.  It's perfectly normal, and perfectly okay. But, that's why you need to talk to the coach ...

Checkout...that is my daughter's problem right now and why she falls on so many double attempts. :) Around here... in preliminary the are the developing doubles. Of coarse, they need to be checking out and not falling on their bums. :) And yes, talking to the coach is always the best route.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 01:21:21 AM »
Attempting doubles & axels on improperly laced, loose skates is pretty much a guaranteed ankle injury that could be very serious!! I'd make sure to mention to her coach to check her skates, and help her re-lace them if necessary.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Her coach said she looked fine (she left over 30 minutes before I arrived so they must have loosened in that time).  She said she will look when dad takes her and we are going to help dd to think about it. 

I really like and trust her coach, I'm glad I can write here anon vs talking to people at my rink.  I don't so well with being caught off guard and by talking here, I was able to see how I was over reacting and just needed to talk to her coach.  I don't like to call her so I had to wait until her next lesson a week later.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
FYI....if your daughter's skates are still new, she may need to re-lace them a few times during the session - depending on how much she is skating.