You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What a difference a good blade makes!  (Read 3267 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
What a difference a good blade makes!
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »
My daughter just outgrew (in 6 months) her riedell edge's with the old Jubilee blades, and moved to her Matrix Legacy pink blades she's been dying for.

Holy wow I cannot believe what a difference the change has made in her stroking and edges. The same effort she would put into the Jubilees (which were always sharp) - she just glides so far!

So here's my question. All of her previous skates, the blade plates were a tad shorter than the boot. The last time, he fit the jubilee's end to end with no room in the front or back. These blades fit her current boot the same way (flush with both ends). I was hoping these blades could be used for both this size boot and the next half size up, since 1/2 size is such little change. (And I got them for $50 on ebay, not $300!) does this sound right?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What a difference a good blade makes!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:19:57 PM »
So here's my question. All of her previous skates, the blade plates were a tad shorter than the boot. The last time, he fit the jubilee's end to end with no room in the front or back. These blades fit her current boot the same way (flush with both ends). I was hoping these blades could be used for both this size boot and the next half size up, since 1/2 size is such little change. (And I got them for $50 on ebay, not $300!)

What's the question?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:05:08 PM »
So here's my question. All of her previous skates, the blade plates were a tad shorter than the boot. The last time, he fit the jubilee's end to end with no room in the front or back. These blades fit her current boot the same way (flush with both ends). I was hoping these blades could be used for both this size boot and the next half size up, since 1/2 size is such little change. (And I got them for $50 on ebay, not $300!)

Yes, the Legacy's should be able to be used on the next pair of boots if they currently are fitting end of the to end of heel. Many fitters fit blades 1/4" less than the length of the sole of the boot. Provided the change in boot size is not dramatic, then you likely can reuse. I wouldn't be worried if there's a small gap, but wouldn't want to get more than 1/4" difference.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
I believe 1 size difference = 1/3", so 1/2 size difference = 1/6" - less than 1/4"

In any event, many people think the optimum size has relatively little to do with the boot length, and more to do with your foot length, in particular with the length from your heel to the ball of your foot.

Does anyone understand why Jubilee blade would be much slower than Matrix Legacy?

Based on

http://www.skate-buys.com/jufiskbl.html

http://www.discountskatewear.com/p-409-ultima-legacy-blade.aspx?

it appears that the Jubilee had a 3/4" hollow (unless the skate technician changed that) instead of 7/16" for the Legacy - so it effectively wasn't very sharp, which might mean she was skidding sideways a bit and wasting a bit of energy. If she wasn't skidding sideways, a 3/4" hollow should be faster than a 7/16" hollow.

Also, the Jubilee toe pick is  pretty minimal and hard to reach, so it was harder to do tricks that use the toe pick, but unless she is now pushing with her toe (not good, according to the artistic standards of figure skating), that shouldn't matter - if anything, she should have been able to use a little more length of the old blades for speed.

The rocker was a little shorter (7' instead of 8'), which means it was theoretically a little bit slower, but not dramatically so.

It's harder for a "level 1 blade" to stay sharp, because of the material, and it might have rusted easily, but the o.p. says it was kept sharp (within the limits of a 3/4" hollow?), so I don't see those as issues.

The new Matrix blade is lighter, but for a relative newbie, it's hard to believe that is overwhelmingly important.

So, can anyone figure out why the old blade would have been noticeably slower?

Maybe it was really the old boot - that was less stiff, and the energy was wasted bending the boot?

I just don't get it.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
I believe 1 size difference = 1/3", so 1/2 size difference = 1/6" - less than 1/4"

I should clarify - i meant one boot size difference, not blade size.

I guess there are a lot of other potential variations that I didn't consider that might affect speed and glide length:

1. If a skater has the strength and edging technique to take advantage of it, having feet higher up off the ice (from the boot and/or blade) gives you more speed and glide.

2. Smoother side rails (newer blade) are faster.

3. Nicks slow you down - we have no idea how well the poster's child and skate tech takes care of her blades, and how rough her ice is.

4. Matrix blade factory grinds are very sharp. We have no idea how good the poster's skate tech is; maybe the old blades weren't.

5. Thinner blades are faster. I'm not sure if the two blades have the same thickness.

6. The old blades might have been warped.

7. How well the old and new blades were mounted, relative to the foot alignment and weight centering of the skater.

8. Psychological factors. Her DD may be really happy having new higher end, better fitting equipment, and pink blades, and may be trying harder.

So many possible factors that it is difficult to guess why she would improve speed and glide.

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:02:12 AM »
This was during her routine with proper stroking, a waltz 8, cross overs. Everything was just better  - spins, jumps, it may have been partially motivated by the new pretty skates.

I will have to check the old blades when I get home to see if anything was off.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
There are a number of reasons the new blades could be better for her, in addition to her excitement and any psychological reasons.

The old blades may have been sharpened enough the rocker was flatter or had changed shape. Along those lines, the rocker profiles of the new blade might be better for her foot shape/body.

Generally, a higher quality blade is going to be better as far as run and glide, and finding the right blade for the right person will immediately show results in certain people.

Toe pushing isn't just aesthetically unpleasing, it's inefficient. Perhaps this blade shape she is getting better pushes and/or better edging in general, allowing more of the blade to be used while she is pushing meaning better power generation.

The good news is, she's happy and is enjoying the blades, so that's really all that matters.