You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: program music  (Read 5853 times)

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
program music
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:46:46 PM »
My DD is getting ready to start her pre-pre program. We are starting to look at music choices and want something that she could also use for a preliminary program as she will be moving up by the end of the year. She is 10 and hates all skating music. She is pure rock and roll and is sad she can't skate to words! We are looking for something fast and powerful to match her personality and skating style.  She skated to pirates of the caribbean "he's a pirate' for fs1 and FS 4 but is wants a change. Any suggestions??? 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: program music
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
She is pure rock and roll and is sad she can't skate to words!

Why can't she skate to words?  It is allowed by USFS at the level she skates at.

From the rulebook:
4040 Music – Singles
For singles events, music is chosen by the competitor;
A. For short program and free skate, vocal music with lyrics is not permitted,
except as follows:
1. For all short programs and free skates up to and including the intermediate level, for all events using the 6.0 system of judging and for all adult events, vocal music with lyrics is permitted.

Movie soundtracks are a good place to start. Avoid disney....it is way overdone

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
Most coaches don't allow it - at least not at our rink.  what about an instrumental version of her favorites?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Why can't she skate to words?

Lyrics interfere with the skater's interpretation of the music.  It is the spirit of the rules, rather than the letter.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:23:28 PM »
Lyrics interfere with the skater's interpretation of the music.  It is the spirit of the rules, rather than the letter.

Thank makes a lot more sense to me than the "don't do that" I hear.  :D  It does inspire kids at lower levels to do an artistic program as well.

As for pre-pre music vs pre music, is there a difference?  I thought the length was the same?

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
I'll look up more artists when I get home but for now:

Yanni
Mythos
Massive attack
Keiko matsui
Clint Mansell (summer overture)
Rob dougan
E.s. posthumus
Bond

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
I am skating to Yanni's Standing in Motion. I wanted to skate to instrumental Guns N Roses November Rain. Look for instrumental versions of rock songs.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
Vitamin String Quartet does some remakes of popular music. If you are looking for fast, Maksim is fun :) that is what I am skating to for my intermediate test program..

Offline jenniturtle

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
Why can't she skate to words?  It is allowed by USFS at the level she skates at.

From the rulebook:

Movie soundtracks are a good place to start. Avoid disney....it is way overdone

her coach says no, she thinks words are a big distraction and doesn't want her skating to them now when further down the line she won't be able to.

Offline jenniturtle

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »

Thank makes a lot more sense to me than the "don't do that" I hear.  :D  It does inspire kids at lower levels to do an artistic program as well.

As for pre-pre music vs pre music, is there a difference?  I thought the length was the same?

we will be keeping the music for both so we want to get something she won't get tired of. I'm looking for something she can connect with.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
It's fun to sample music on iTunes. Keep an open mind and explore.

FWIW: I watched all the regionals and sectionals on Ice Network. Honestly, you would not believe how many skaters chose the exact same program music: Swan Lake (LOTS of black swans this year); Tango de Roxanne (some were even back to back); Libertango; and, for some reason, plenty of Addams family. If I were a judge, i'd go insane from the repetition.

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »
Try using pandora and putting it on the 'bond' station- you'll find plenty of good stuff :) good luck!

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »
Just a suggestion for instrumental music for a skater who loves rock-n-roll. Many rock and classic rock songs have several sets of lyrics, with an instrumental section between the stanzas. See if some of her favorite rock songs have a section of instrumental music that can be used. As an example, if you listen to the long version of " Riders on the Storm " by the Doors, there is a long instrumental section that can be lifted and used as part of a skating program.
 ( I'm trying to play the instrumental section in my mind from memory right now! Now watch, I'll have it playing in my head for days to come now [ giggles ] !) I think Pink Floyd did some of their songs with instrumental sections. I'm sure there are many other rock songs like this, and can be used as I described.  
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »
My daughter once skated to "Riverdance" - I know that's not exactly rock, but we used a cut with a rock fiddle solo that was very hard and driving.  I want to say it wasn't from the original CD, but some Pops orchestra - Cincinnati, maybe?  Worth a try, anyway.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
Going with the idea that you could edit instrumentals from a rock song, here's an oldie but goodie.

Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney and the Wings
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCcQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D71fjlVVDjKU&ei=EAEbT879Huyw0AHEwsHHCw&usg=AFQjCNE-BXxtZWGsf-2SWuRzziES4rlPNA&sig2=T5d1ReVaf4ekUtYjugTvCQ

It's sweet to see how young Paul and Linda look in the video.

This may be one song that has too much power and energy.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
Oo, how about Nirvana instrumentals (from the early '90s)?

The Man Who Sold the World

All Apologies

I particularly love the first one and it has a natural progression.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
What about Final Fantasy game music themes?

My personal favorite is "To Zanarkand"- not really rock -n roll, though, but haunting.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
Legend of Zelda also has some.amazing music...and symphony recordings of it.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
Apocalyptica? They're a cello trio that does covers of rock tunes. I've heard "Nothing Else Matters" and it's actually gorgeous (I would NEVER listen to Metallica!). The song starts out pretty mellow but really gets to rocking out. (I think Brian Joubert skated to this once.)

You could also try The Turtle Island String Quartet, or the Kronos Quartet. They have some very upbeat, unusual stuff that is DEFINITELY not your typical skating music. And no lyrics! (can you tell I'm a string player?)

Here's the Kronos Quartet doing Hendrix!
And more Hendrix:

Just thought of another one: Michael Hedges. AMAZING guitarist. (He has a great voice, too--or had; sadly, he died several years ago at a quite young age.) I'm fond of his earlier stuff because it's mostly guitar without excessive orchestration--but WOW, can the guy play.
Aerial Boundaries:
Ritual Dance:

(Let me just say YAY!! for a skater who wants to do something other than the standard skating music repertoire! I love hearing unusual stuff.)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 09:28:17 PM »
What are her coach's recommendations? Does she want a specific style of music for her for competition this year? 

If she really likes rock ... and dislikes standard skating music ... try instrumentals of Queen (tends to be well responded to, and judges don't dislike it) - or, get her to listen to good jazz cuts. I've found some of the rock officianados quite like good jazz. 

You might also want to let her watch some high level skating programs on YouTube.  Kids who "hate" standard skating music often find something that is good and skateable that is maybe outside of what they think they would like when they see how a top level skater can move to music and make it work as a program.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
My DD is a non-traditional skating music girl, too.  She usually finds her own stuff and coach yays or nays it.  Actually, her coach made a comment last week about how she looks always looks forward to seeing what my DD will come up with.  My DD recommends that yours do a youtube search for video game music.

My DD has the orchestral version of Hikari from Kingdom Hearts as her free skate program.  She thought your DD might like the Rock version. Plus my DD added that it's rock, but not too fast.

My DD used instrumental parts of Raver's Fantasy for her footwork program the past 2 years.  We had to go into my music editing softward and slow it down some.

This is my DD's new footwork music.  It's inspired by the cartoon My Little Pony.  Kinda dark, but cool.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
My DD is a non-traditional skating music girl, too.  She usually finds her own stuff and coach yays or nays it.  Actually, her coach made a comment last week about how she looks always looks forward to seeing what my DD will come up with.  My DD recommends that yours do a youtube search for video game music.

My DD has the orchestral version of Hikari from Kingdom Hearts as her free skate program.  She thought your DD might like the Rock version. Plus my DD added that it's rock, but not too fast.

My DD used instrumental parts of Raver's Fantasy for her footwork program the past 2 years.  We had to go into my music editing softward and slow it down some.

This is my DD's new footwork music.  It's inspired by the cartoon My Little Pony.  Kinda dark, but cool.

We're not allowed to pick our own music ... :) ever.  It's chosen for us, and it's part of the yearly plan in terms of stretch objective, growth objective, and positioning ... fortunately, choreo has great taste, and it sure saves us work!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
Try using pandora and putting it on the 'bond' station- you'll find plenty of good stuff :) good luck!

Or you could watch Ice Network and get the same results.

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »

we will be keeping the music for both so we want to get something she won't get tired of. I'm looking for something she can connect with.

What are some of her favorite songs? Generally, if its rock, there are enough instrumental parts to piece together a short program. Or you can use 2 or 3 similar songs like a medley.

Offline Kat

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
How does she feel about electronica?  There are some out there that are nice and hard, and some that use more "real" instruments, if that matters to her.  I'm actually quite a fan of the Tron: Legacy soundtrack that Daft Punk did (which is heavy on acoustic instruments along with electronics, and many of the tracks are conveniently short so wouldn't require much cutting).  And the good thing about electronica is that there are often so many remixes to choose from so if you sort of like a song but not that much, you can see what ten other people did with it (also that it tends to be repetitive so cuts aren't a bit deal).

As others have said, look into songs with great instrumental interludes, like rocking guitar solos.  (sorry, this list is going to be oldies-oriented 'cause that's largely where my flag flies)

--Hotel California (Eagles)
--25 or 6 to 4 (Chicago)
--Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
--November Rain (GnR)
--Let It Be (Beatles)

Wow, I am drawing a blank tonight at accessing my mental list of "songs with great guitar solos."  Sorry about that.

Also, look into live versions as those will often have extended solos, if you can find a version without a lot of crowd screaming and such.
"The only thing you have to be afraid of is to not fly."