You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ballet in the off season  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
ballet in the off season
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
the season is nearly over, sniff, and I am looking for activities in the off-season. I thought about starting ballet. But I wonder if all exercises are good for skaters? Especially the spins - in ballet you turn the head, in skating not - would it be better then not to do the head-turn in ballet?
And are there other exercises that would be better not to do in order not to mess up skating?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: ballet in the off season
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
I take ballet during the year, but not in the summer (they don't offer summer adult class). Yes, the spotting part is different, but I've found that working on pirouettes has really helped my twizzles, especially in my "wrong" direction. I find ballet really good for body positioning and learning to isolate different muscles. I do keep getting my directions mixed up, because to me it feels opposite of skating. Other things that are different are that we don't turn out the supporting leg, and when you do a tendu in ballet your pointed toes are the last thing to leave the floor. In skating, your foot has to leave the ice flexed and then you point your toe, or you'll push with the toe pick (I'm talking about stroking, not jumping). I haven't found things overly confusing, though.

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
thanks for your experience report!
some terms are very new to me. I will be a complete beginner.  :police:
But all in all it sounds like it could help with skating and be fun at the same time.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
Try a lesson. They are cheap. I did once. Some of us don't have the flexibility to even begin. :( But maybe you will love it.

You could also look into roller skates, either quads or inline. Or pick up a completely different sport in the summer.

Offline Hedwig

• Under the Edge
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »
I also do running and rock climbing and I intend to do some off-ice training geared towards skaters. But ballet is good insofar as that it is a fixed time and date and then it is easier to make time for it.
I am looking forward to it - might be the closest thing to skating I get to do in summer.

Inliner I have at home - it always is a big adjustment at first. Last time I just fell over the front roll immediately. :o

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
I think the arm movements you get into muscle memory in ballet will help your skating more than the spotting will hurt it! :)