You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is 70.00 to 75.00 unreasonable for  (Read 2242 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Is 70.00 to 75.00 unreasonable for
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
used MK Professional blades in excellent shape with a lot of sharpening life left on them? They were used for 8 months, still have a good edge on them(they were sharpened just before she switched skates) and since we sharpen her skates every 6 weeks, there is a lot of life left on them. Our sharpener agrees this is reasonable price but I am curious what others in the skating world think. I'd love to sell these blades and I am hoping someone coming to our competition or test session might need blades. :)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Is 70.00 to 75.00 unreasonable for
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:36:51 AM »
That sounds good to me... especially with the sharpener's assurance that they have plenty of life left.  New they are $200 so you have cut that more than in half, and if they have plenty of life left, that would be a bargain for someone :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »
At my rink, they would come attached to skates for that price.  There doesn't seem to be a big market for blades on their own.  It would be a LTS skater buying them so they type of blade wouldn't mean anything to the kid or skater.  The FS2 and up kids always seem to buy new equipment vs used.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
At my rink, they would come attached to skates for that price.  There doesn't seem to be a big market for blades on their own.  It would be a LTS skater buying them so they type of blade wouldn't mean anything to the kid or skater.  The FS2 and up kids always seem to buy new equipment vs used.

I agree.  I got my last pair of boots, with Gold Seals attached for $50.  Those blades lasted me about 8 months (probably could have gone a little longer), and the boots, 4 years (definetly could have gone longer, but I wanted prettier ones- these were very very beat up, but not at all broken down.  I am now trying to sell them, with different blades.)

Although our freestyle kids through pre-juv tend to trade in used boots pretty well.  I think it is because the coach encourages it.  I've never seen blades for sale on their own, though I have seen boots- they don't generally sell...

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:21:48 PM »
Hmmm... I guess it depends on the area! I've seen them for sale at swaps around here and most boot and blade combos(with better blades) go for 125.00 or more. Beginner skates go for 50.00 to 75.00 a pair. I asked a few coaches and adult skaters yesterday and they said they would buy them for that price. I guess we'll see! I tried selling them with the boot(Riedell Gold star) for 80.00 and nothing came of it. So, I decided to try the blades by themselves. Maybe if they do not sell or have any interest, I can drop the next day. I still have the boot, so I COULD try and sell them as a set, they'd just need to have the blade re-mounted.

Just out of curiosity, do those of you who have found nice combos for 50.00 live near a real pro-shop? We don't have full service pro shops around here. Maybe that is why our used skates go for more money??  I want to go to a skate swap that is selling a decent set of used skates for 50.00!

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do those of you who have found nice combos for 50.00 live near a real pro-shop? We don't have full service pro shops around here. Maybe that is why our used skates go for more money??  I want to go to a skate swap that is selling a decent set of used skates for 50.00!

IMHO the deal/steal type of bargains may come from people carelessly trying to get rid of old skates, just like on craigslist you may come across stuff with unbelievable prices. The existence of pro shop or lack thereof may not matter at all.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »
No. We have no access to a pro shop. It is at least a 4 hour drive to one, often more.

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
IMHO the deal/steal type of bargains may come from people carelessly trying to get rid of old skates, just like on craigslist you may come across stuff with unbelievable prices. The existence of pro shop or lack thereof may not matter at all.

I agree. I've purchased some of the greatest skating bargains online from people who just wanted to get their old skating stuff out of their closets NOW! On the other hand I have noticed some people on ebay thinking they have a pair of skates fit for an Olympian when really its an older used Gold Medallion with a stock blade and pricing them accordingly  88) or from 1975. There is a market for used blades and skates, but I live in an area with a few pro shops and the skates are sold though them on consignment. I've never heard of a skate swap, but I have been to dress  re sales.