You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Coaching choices  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Coaching choices
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »
I'm currently taking a group "workshop" class once a week.  I'd like to progress faster, so I'm considering coaching options.  I like the instructor for the group class, but he's more of a dance and moves coach.  I know I want spins and a few jumps in the mix as well.  So...

Do I find a freestyle coach and go with a "one-stop shop" approach? Or... 
Do I start with the group coach and then eventually supplement that with someone for jumps and spins?

I like the group coach and think he could do wonders for my edges, but I don't want to miss out on the other fun things!  I also don't want to be someone that jumps from coach to coach.

For those of you that work with multiple coaches, any words of wisdom?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Coaching choices
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »
It seems at my rink a lot of the adults work with more than one coach.. and it's not really a big deal as long as all of your coaches are okay with the arrangement. I have worked with two coaches this year (a choreographer in addition to my regular coach) and I will probably work with yet another coach this fall if I follow through with my plans to work on dances since my coach doesn't do dance.

You could ask your group coach what he'd recommend... make it clear you want to work on freestyle elements and you're not sure which coach would be best for you.  From there you can either stay with him for private lessons or set up a trial lesson with another coach.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
You could ask your group coach what he'd recommend... make it clear you want to work on freestyle elements and you're not sure which coach would be best for you.  From there you can either stay with him for private lessons or set up a trial lesson with another coach.

IMHO most coaches would not mind coaching beginner freestyle, unless he is in HIGH demand for dance / moves. Although some coaches prefer to coach spins and jumps from the boards (i.e. no demonstration), so be sure to check that if you are a visual learner.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »
You can ask for trial lessons with several coaches before you decide on which one to go with. I'd do at least 2 to really get a feel for how the coach coaches.