You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Anyone familiar with the Oakland Ice Center in CA?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Anyone familiar with the Oakland Ice Center in CA?
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:37:17 AM »
I'll be traveling to Oakland and the Oakland Ice Center is blocks from where I'll be staying.  I was thinking of bringing my skates and getting on the public between 12:45pm and 5pm PT.  Is Oakland Ice anyone's home rink and what can you tell me about their weekday, daytime public sessions?  Is it crowded?  What can I expect?  Any insight and info is most appreciated.  I will have tons of free time and thought of filling most of the afternoon at the rink.  Thanks!
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
Re: Anyone familiar with the Oakland Ice Center in CA?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
Hopefully you will hear from someone familiar with the rink (I live in So. CA and have only been to this rink once).  However, in my experience early afternoon public ice during the week is generally very quiet while local public schools are in session.  It would probably start to get busier around 3:00/3:30, especially on days with LTS.  Anyway, I would definitely bring the skates!

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
they are hosting sectionals this year I  think so scope it out for us lol

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
Just be careful as it's not in the best part of town. I've been there for a cople of competitions. There's not a ton of parking, but if i remember right there is a lot across from it on the west(?) side near the enterance. In the afternoon, though, you'll be fine. They have an Olympic side and an NHL side. It is also about half block from the BART station if you don't have a car.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:47:26 PM »
I think I'll do the 10:30 - 12:30 public sessions when the kids are in school and the adults are working.  It's only a couple of blocks from my husband's office so I don't have to worry about parking.  Being from ATL and NYC, I'm not terribly concerned about walking a few blocks in the downtown (i.e., corporate) district of Oakland during the morning/lunch hours.  It will be an adventure and kill a few hours.  I'll give you the lowdown when I come back.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge