You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?  (Read 40223 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?
« on: November 17, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
I've got this feeling I'd like to start wearing some more appropriate skating attire when I get my new skates. I know a lot of ladies here wear leggings to practice in, but I'm a larger lady (5ft 2 and 180lbs) and am thinking, if I do that, I need to cover my rather large behind with something a bit floaty and flattering!

So, what level were you when you started to wear things like leggings/tights and skirts etc? Or is there an alternative I'm missing? Last lesson, I skated in baggy tracksuit bottoms and they felt better.

As strange as it sounds, I want to have to think about my lines, the whole elegance thing doesn't come naturally, so I thought if I have to think about my arms/free leg etc it would!

BUT, I can't even go backwards yet, so do I need to improve a bit so I don't look like I've got "all the gear, no idea"?
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:26 PM »
I started wearing leggings the first time my blade got caught in my pants leg.  For me, it was when I started backspins, but I've heard lots of people catching them stroking too.  However, I think I was at least Freestyle 1 when I gave up track pants.

I don't have a leggings body- but really, they are the best thing for skating.
If you can't go backwards, I wouldn't recommend shelling out huge money for Chloe Noel skating specific leggings, but leggings are still a good idea.  And although they are still expensive, UnderArmour Frosty Tights are excellent for skating, and double as nice long underwear to wear under your jeans when it is really cold out. (Also good for running, but I don't do that!)

(I only wear skirts for performances.)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:27:26 PM »
I was afraid you'd say that!

I wasn't considering Chloe Noel to be honest, their stuff doesn't go up to my size, but I take your point it looks a bit weird if I can't go backwards. I do like the jackets though... :)

My rink is so quiet in the daytime I really shouldn't worry about what people think, but I do! Maybe I should take some thick leggings (and possibly a little skirt) with me next time I have a lesson and just see how I feel on the day. If I have a sudden burst of confidence I can change into them in the bathroom beforehand, if not, no harm done :)
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
I went from jeans to a thick pair of fleece leggings that I got at REI.  I went into dresses at about a year and it's about all I ever skate in. I occasionally skate in runners tights, but not very often.  And in reality, the difference between leggings and a skirt dress is that the skirt covers  your rearend.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
Just wanted to mention that if you decide to wear leggings, make sure they're designed for outerwear. There's a lot of 'leggings' out there that are really just heavy tights.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
Old Navy leggings are $10 and go up to size XXL. I think they're a good buy for skating. They're not paper thin, and I find them warm enough most of the time. I do keep leg warmers on hand for the month or so that our rink is absolutely frigid, or you could also wear skating tights (I always get Mondor brand) under them.

If you really don't like leggings, both Old Navy and Target as well as more expensive brands like Under Armour make athletic pants that aren't terribly baggy. Yes, there's still a toepick risk, but it's not as bad as it would be if you had something baggy. I never ran into a toepick issue until I was landing flip jumps, and I like those pants enough to wear them anyway.

A cautionary note: I bought a pair of fleece-lined leggings at Target, and Under Armour makes some similar ones. Although they're much warmer, make sure the end of the legging can stretch over your skates. You won't be able to lace the skate over top of it, and both the Target Champion brand and UA have this tight piece of rubbery elastic around the bottom of the leg that makes it impossible to stretch the legging over your skate. The Target ones also have a zipper, so you can unzip and pull around your skate, but that lets in cold air. I would not recommend them for skating.

The nice thing about going with a brand that isn't exclusive to skating is that you can actually go to the stores and try the stuff on.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
BUT, I can't even go backwards yet, so do I need to improve a bit so I don't look like I've got "all the gear, no idea"?

IMO your current skill level is not quite relevant when it comes to simple leggings + skirts. But if you show up in dresses of this caliber for practice, some may roll eyes. (I've always wondered how much do those really fancy costumes weigh... do they affect jumps and spins?)

Our rink's Christmas show adult number traditionally has long dresses for ladies, and I wore a long dress once for the rehearsal to make sure I could handle the length. Now I know for tests, shows, and show dress rehearsals I have no problem switching to dresses + tights and don't need adjustment periods.

I did wear skirt + legging "just" to practice a couple times for dance lessons, then slacked off and went back to pants. :P

Offline karrot

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:39 PM »
I'm a second time beginner myself! :)  I wear leggings already because I already have a bunch to wear with skirts or shorts. I would highly recommend American Apparel's winter tights. They are super thick, warmer than jeans, and the fabric is french terry inside. The sizes go up to XL, and I, at 155#, wear a medium, so I'm sure they'd fit you! I've been wearing them with a short skirt for skating, even though they're comfortable and opaque enough to wear as pants.

When I wear thinner leggings, I put legwarmers over them that will fit over the top of my skate.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
I started wearing leggings the first time my blade got caught in my pants leg.  For me, it was when I started backspins, but I've heard lots of people catching them stroking too.

Seconded. For me, it was when I caught my blade doing forward and backward edges down a line. It was pretty soon after I started taking private lessons.

I've seen one adult skater wear a black skirt over black leggings, which is a nice alternative to a skirt with tights or leggings by themselves. It's a little warmer, and as ChristyRN says, it covers your rearend!

I think it's nice to skate in a skirt. I never tried it until I did a trial run of my test outfit for the first time. I was surprised to find that I liked skating in a skirt, though I don't know why I should have been--I enjoy wearing skirts and dresses in my off-ice life, and do so frequently. As it's gotten colder, I wear skirts to skate in less, though, opting instead for a double pair of leggings. I just bought a pair of fleece lined leggings today and I look forward to trotting those out on the ice!

It's always a good idea to let the skating lead the clothes, instead of the other way around, but there's nothing wrong with dressing in something that takes the realities of the sport into consideration. In the case of skating, those include safety, warmth, and should it please you, grace. Enjoy outfitting yourself for skating!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 03:54:16 AM »
I started wearing Chloe Noel-like pants right from the beginning of taking group lessons. I didn't have any other pants that were stretchy and close fitting, so I bough them right from the start. I only recently bought a skirt and tights because I have a test coming up, and I've been wearing my skirt over the pants a few times just because I like the prettiness :p I haven't worn the tights because I think I'd freeze...
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
Most of the beginners where I skate wear Chloe Noel leggings (because I assume when they went to buy skates they just got the whole kit and caboodle).  The beginners that have been around awhile seem to like wearing skirts.

I save skirts and dresses for competitions, tests, etc.  I just like wearing leggings more. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
My only issue with Chloe Noel pants for an adult beginner is they aren't really transferable to another activity if you decide you don't want to skate (due to the over skate flare).  General leggings can later be worn to an aerobics class, or a million other things.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
I go running in my Chloe's all the time, when I run immediately after skating.  So they're a little bunchy around my ankles - I don't really care what people think I look like when I'm out running.  Besides, I'm lazy enough to not want to change clothes again and make more laundry.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »
I started out wearing fleece pants--basically sweat pants, but with straight legs instead of cuffs--with athletic long johns underneath. It kept me warm and a lot of the coaches dressed similarly. Then I read about skaters catching their blades on their pants and I decided to switch to leggings. I'm in Adult 2, still learning the basics, but I'm happy layering skating tights with thick leggings and a skating skirt. I don't bother with expensive name brand gear. One pair of leggings is from Old Navy, cost me less than $10 on clearance. The other pair is Vera Wang's "solid leggings" from Kohls.com, around $18, plus shipping. Now, the leggings are pretty narrow at the ankles, especially the VW leggings. There's no way to pull them on over my skates, so I just smooth them down past my ankles and put my skates on over them. Never had a problem with that.

I am too self-conscious to show my booty when I'm wearing skin-tight leggings, so I always wear a skirt, too. The main one I use is from Target, it's just a junior's mini circle skirt, very cute. I wanted another option, so I bought some knit jersey and sewed a short circle skirt with a yoga fold-over waistband. Very simple to make and a lot cheaper than most skating skirts.

I've never worn just tights and a skirt. I get cold enough as it is! If I removed the leggings from the equation, I'd be too busy shivering to skate. I don't know what I'll do when it comes time for me to participate in a competition, higher-level test, or show. But for now, I'm satisfied with my leggings/tights/skirt combo.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 04:39:21 PM »
Well I bought my figure skates today  :love:

I have to admit, when I went on the ice with them, I already felt more graceful - much nicer than clumpy hockey skates lol! I think I'm going to see if I can pick up a cheap skirt and some leggings before my next lesson, not spend a ton of money and just try them out :)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
I practice in yoga style pants most of the time. But when I'm working on test elements I usually wear a skirt and tights. I've been hesitant to buy the Chloe Noel style pants because I'm not comfortable with how my body looks in leggings.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
I go running in my Chloe's all the time, when I run immediately after skating.  So they're a little bunchy around my ankles - I don't really care what people think I look like when I'm out running.  Besides, I'm lazy enough to not want to change clothes again and make more laundry.

For me ,it isnt an issue of how.they look, I'd trip on them if I wore them in tennis shoes.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
I have several pairs of < $10 dance leggings that I  bought online on clearance and 2 pairs of "Flowerdaze boot cut tights" which are like Chloe Noels but made for an adult, made extra long, if necessary, and more reasonably priced.  :P (shameless plug for a friend of mine) I am not a small woman, either.   :angel:  I am an adult gold level FS skater and make sure I have leggings that come down over my laces working on double jumps.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 09:19:08 PM »
I'm an LL Bean Perfect Fit girl. They have a straight legged pant, and a trim fit pant too that if you're not too advanced are just right. I don't know how they'd be for jumps or spins. Back when I was learnng and was concerned about snagging a toepick, I just used the wide elastic bands that hockey players use (don't know for what) and snugged the pants leg at the ankle down. Then I just stopped worrying about it.

I'm apparently not to the level where I get into pants leg issues, or I have fat ankles.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
When I started out I wore a pair of stretchy jeans, those stopped working for me about a year ago.  I bought a pair of yoga pants at JCPenney's and have been wearing them ever since.  I haven't caught the skates but now you all are making me afraid!  I do need to look for a new pair of pants though so I might look into leggings.  I had worn a pair of running tights once and just felt terribly awkward. 

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
I manage to catch my blades on whatever pants I am wearing... or leggings... or my OTB tights... not often, thankfully, but often enough!

So I definitely wear tighter clothing!  Anything loose seems to end up with me on the ice, lol.

When I was a kid I wore mostly tights and skirts to skate in, which was the style at the time.  10+ years later as an adult I wanted to skip the skirt!  Black leggings are snug but they make me feel more comfortable than nude tights and a short skirt, that's for sure.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
When you get to forward crossovers, you'd want to avoid anything loose. I started wearing leggings (nothing fancy, just cheap dance leggings) soon after I started doing forward crossovers and found that my blade would touch my jeans. Besides, leggings stretch more, which is nice for moves you will soon learn. Now I prefer slim sweatpants, as they have pockets where I can put my stuff in (my rink is too warm for a jacket).

You might find a skating skirt or a ballet wrap skirt useful if you're not comfortable with the leggings look. Good luck on your wardrobe! :)

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 08:03:51 AM »
Since my rink is very cold, I prefer to skate in a pair of New Balance running pants with short zippers at the ankles over a pair of Underarmor leggings.  I bought them at TJ Maxx on clearance and they work perfectly for me, since they're stretchy and warm. 

Way back when, the local clubs required female skaters on club ice to wear skirts (Polar Sport was very big then) so when I left group lessons and joined the club, I had to switch.  I was younger and skinny then so stuff was easier to find.  It doesn't bother me now, although I practice in pants, to wear my competition dresses.  My main concern is being warm and then that my dresses cover my undergarments.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Well I've got myself some nice thick, wooly leggings to start with, and a long jumper - going to see how I feel in those then maybe switch to long running trousers or something. I'd quite happily wear a dress when the time comes, but need to get used to being seen in form-fitting stuff in public lol!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
I am a bit larger woman as well, and I wear the Se_ku pants. While I will wear a skirt when getting ready for a competition, I much prefer leggings as the tights/skirt combo get very cold and very wet if you fall. Generally, at my rink, it is the younger kids/beginners that consistently wear skirts, and the older/more advanced kids and adults wear pants except near competitions. A couple of the older ones just like skirts better and wear them more often, but they are by far the minority.