You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do I test?  (Read 11737 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Do I test?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
And why would passing the bronze test give you nothing to work towards? There's always another skill to learn and another trick to do, another competition and heaven forbid - the next test.
Passing the test just means the next test is slightly further away, instead of being permanently within grasping distance.

I said taking away the bronze test gives me nothing to work towards.   Not passing it.  Yeah, I guess my goal could be elements, but what is the point of elements if you don't do something with them? Although, I'm not sure what the next step would be if I pass it, I haven't thought of what comes next- silver is impossible, so I guess I'd just be working towards a stronger competition program.

I suppose I could do that now, as my program isn't optimized toward competition at all, since it is a test program.  But it makes no sense to me to work to be a more competitive bronze skater if I can't even be a real bronze skater!

I'm a person who needs measurable goals- right now my goals are bronze test and camel spin.  I'm making progress on the camel at least.

The Bronze Free will be my last test for sure.  When I started skating I knew jumps would mean I never get above bronze free but I had high hope for moves tests.  Then came the hip injury.  I can't do spirals anymore so I can't do the current silver moves, therefore moving up isn't possible.  If I was a kid, I'd likely get the surgery to fix it, but it isn't justifiable as an adult.  If they revert to the old spiral pattern (which is still really really pushing my limit, but a little less daunting) I may try for it, but I don't see that happening.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
I CAN do one of the step behinds.  The second one!  Go figure, right :)

Yeah, too bad that is the included in the "Optionality" portion of this test.  Have you tested this dance and failed it because you couldn't do that one step-behind?  What happens when you do it - or is this the move that you injured your hip doing?  Hard to keep track of everything here!

Don't give up.  You might want to take a break and see if you miss it.  There is so much to love about skating and it isn't about doing the "next element" or passing the next test, or even competing at Adult Nationals!

For me it's all about the glide and the movement that goes into that.

It is about the friends I have made which at this point are actually pretty significant.

Realizing that skating is really a very difficult sport that most people can never even get close to doing well - someone once told me that only one in ten people could ever learn to skate backwards, for instance.

Anyway, you catch my drift!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
Yeah, too bad that is the included in the "Optionality" portion of this test.  Have you tested this dance and failed it because you couldn't do that one step-behind?  What happens when you do it - or is this the move that you injured your hip doing?  Hard to keep track of everything here!

Don't give up.  You might want to take a break and see if you miss it. 

I have not tested dance.  I got my first two dances testable, but didn't do them because there didn't seem to be a point if I couldn't do the third...  I did work a bit on the dances from the next level. The willow waltz is fun!  But for the most part- dance just seems impossible if the "easy" dance includes such a difficult move.

I have never gotten the hard step behind up to speed. I can only do it very very slowly.  That was the step that I fell on (really, it could have happened lots of ways, so logically I shouldn't blame the RB, but I do), and I slid into the boards and that's where I got the labral tear.  After which I did take a break, and I did miss it.  Thankfully, except spirals- I can pretty much do everything without aggravating the hip.

I think I am going to test, if only because I really do think I'm close, and maybe I'll get nice judges :) 
Plus, my husband and I scheduled an event the day of the competition, so I won't be able to skate then.  It will give me a chance to do my program...  I know judges don't like tests that aren't ready, but I don't think of it as not ready- it's more a "just barely" on one element.  If I can keep my nerves in check, the other elements are all beyond passing.  My other jumps are small, but with good technique. 

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
Skittl - You shouldn't let the XB in the RB stop you from enjoying dance.  The key is ankle flexion, and you can work on that in F chasses.  If you can flex your ankle sufficiently, then it's a matter of building your confidence.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »
You need to move to Australia - we don't have the Rhythm Blues on the dance test structure here!  ;D

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »
Somewhat OT and insensitive, but I'm sorry I can't help asking: what happened to your hip?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »
Somewhat OT and insensitive, but I'm sorry I can't help asking: what happened to your hip?

I have a labral tear from falling and sliding into the boards.  I could have surgery to fix it, and probably would if I was a kid still, but I can't justify the risks (I have anesthesia issues), time off work, cost as an adult.  Occasionally, my hip will get weak (I have exercises from PT to help this) and I have trouble walking/supporting weight on it, but mostly it just means I can't do spirals.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 01:57:27 AM »
Sorry to hear about that...falling is one thing, and sliding into the boards is another. Was this incident pre-crash pads? I hope the tear will heal up on its own eventually...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »
I owned pads at the time, but only wore them for loop and 8 step.

I have a less obvious hip pad I wear most of the time now, but go figure, I always hit somewhere else when I fall.

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
Well Skittl, I don't know about you, but I opted out of the free skate June 12.  Going to take MIF only and try to test the free skate in August.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »
I put my test papers in the mail today.

It's expensive, but I'm not competing, so the cost ends up being about the same as the competition would have been. (I'm going to a concert that day.)

Coach says my elements are ready, if I just do a good loop.  I only seem to do a good loop if I'm tied to the ceiling though.  (He doesn't actually do anything with the harness- but I skate a million times faster if I know I can't fall.)

Program has gotten a little sloppy, so I don't expect much.  But I have more of a chance than if I don't try, and a month to get it cleaned up.

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »
I put my test papers in the mail today.

You go girl......    I feel like I let myself down ... on the other hand I feel like I am pushing myself too hard considering I have only been back on the ice since January.  What is your test date.... I'll mark my calendar!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
Wheeee, have a great time!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »
You go girl......    I feel like I let myself down ... on the other hand I feel like I am pushing myself too hard considering I have only been back on the ice since January.  What is your test date.... I'll mark my calendar!

June 7 or 8- don't know yet, but I expect it will end up on the 8th.

I don't think you are letting yourself down. You are making remarkable progress on your comeback. 
I passed my Bronze MITF in September of 2008, and have been working towards Bronze free since then.  I keep getting injured, or when I'm not injured, I'm just not good enough...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
Crossing my fingers for you.
And to take some of the pressure off, just see it as an opportunity for some feedback on where you are from some judges.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
I'll be on a road trip, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll have a good skate too.

I think if you can just go for it and not let fear get the best of you, you'll do great :)

I'm still anxiously awaiting the announcement of our summer test sessions... my later plans for this summer are on hold until they announce something.  Knowing my luck, if I book my flights now, that's exactly when they'll schedule the test session!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
Good luck to both of you!

I am testing bronze MITF June 29. It'll be my second attempt and I'm not sure my power 3-turns are anywhere near ready. But maybe by then I can get it together.

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
I have a labral tear from falling and sliding into the boards.  I could have surgery to fix it, and probably would if I was a kid still, but I can't justify the risks (I have anesthesia issues), time off work, cost as an adult.  Occasionally, my hip will get weak (I have exercises from PT to help this) and I have trouble walking/supporting weight on it, but mostly it just means I can't do spirals.

Can you jump at all? I have had labral tear for the last 9 months, complicated with having also bursitis. My hip now hurts most of the time, although after corstisone injection it was slightly better. The injection was 5 months ago and I think it is wearing off though!  :( I can't jump at all, because although it is my left hip and my landing leg is my right one, the impact of landing hurts badly. I can't lift my leg more than 90 degrees (bent leg) and holding it at exactly 90 degrees is possible only for a short time (it hurts badly and feels like if I didn't have the strength to hold it longer). But I can lift my leg backwards, so I can do spirals fine. Because I can't jump, I started doing dance. Not what I always wanted to do, but better than nothing. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:22 PM »
I stopped jumping for almost a year. Now I can skate without pain except spirals.  I did a lot of PT, plus 6 months of no skating at all.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
I have had labral tear for the last 9 months, complicated with having also bursitis.

I also have labral tears and bursitis.  Everything hurts my hips, including normal forward stroking with decent extension and FI mohawks.  I live on ibuprofen.  There's no way I'm having surgery, but a cortisone shot in the R hip (my worst) doesn't sound too bad just now.  Thanks for the idea!

Skittl - Good luck on your test!
My glass is half full :)

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
Sk8Dreams, cortisone shot helped a lot. Before the injection the pain was driving me mad. It kept me awake at night, I couldn't lift my leg high enough to go up the stairs and I ate so many ibuprofens with codein that it couldn't be very healthy. After the injection I could do anything except of jump and lift my leg. Also, doing swings with the painful leg swinging across the skating leg hurt, but otherwise stroking and anything else on the ice was fine. The trouble is that the injection don't seem to last forever.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »
The trouble is that the injection don't seem to last forever.

I've also heard they can cause additional degeneration.  I've always refused them in the past (for other issues too, like my shoulders) due to this.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
There's a limit on how many cortisone injections you can receive, to protect you from that issue.

I had the shots several times for my plantar fasciitis/heel spur syndrome. 

They really worked wonders in getting the inflammation and pain reduced.  The orthotics and stretching exercises have it well under control. 

I had an elderly neighbor who received cortisone injections for a sinus problem.  She raved about the shots because they not only helped her breathe/smell, they eased all her minor aches and pains.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Hanca

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
I don't think that having one or two cortisone shots is a problem. (if it was, they would ban it by now). I would be worried if someone was getting them frequently, but having it as one off should be fine. Obviously, there is certain amount of risk, but some risk is connected with any medication, even taking over the counter bought aspirin.