You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI informal pass?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
ISI informal pass?
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Since I've never taken an ISI test before, the rink requires me to take a diagnostic test before enrolling in private lessons (here we buy private lessons by level, with different levels having different prices). I'm aiming to pass Gamma, but although my LFO 3-turn is pretty good compared to other Gamma passers, my RFO 3-turn is not yet up to standard -- I still do the counterchecking to initiate the rotation, and not the knee bend which is what I do with my LFO 3-turn. I know the proper technique how to do the RFO 3-turn right, and it's just a matter of practice, so I'm hoping that my coach would bypass that requirement and let me take Delta. (Same thing with my LFI mohawk).

In your rink, what's the policy when a skater can do okay on his or her strong side, but not on the weak side?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: ISI informal pass?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
Our rink has almost non existant standards for moving up to the next class.

However, the test will not be registered with ISI until you meet the standard.  So you would have to compete at the highest level PASSED. That may or may not align with the class you are in.

You buy private lessons by level? I'd angle to get into the cheaper one!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
In your rink, what's the policy when a skater can do okay on his or her strong side, but not on the weak side?

The official policy is that if you don't pass, you don't pass.  Some coaches will suggest a private lesson or two (short ones) and a re-evaluation between when a session ends and another starts - sometimes all that is needed is some extra time/instruction on an element, it's not always just about practice (if you practice wrong, you won't make a lot of progress on your own).

I'm with skittl though, if it's cheaper to be a lower level, I'd stay a lower level :)  Passing vs not passing tests ultimately doesn't matter.. I haven't tested up to my level but since I am not competing it doesn't matter.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
Gamma and Delta lessons are priced the same. I was just hoping that I would get past Gamma -- I don't want to be working on LFI mohawks and RFO 3-turns forever.  :-\ Aside from that, I think competing in Beta would be, well, a bit boring, since you're not allowed to include elements that I already know from Gamma. I was hoping I could do Spotlight Gamma so that not all elements are required...

Anyway, I should know in a few days after the test...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
You also have to consider what the expected passing standard is... usually at these lower level tests they are just looking that you can do the elements, not necessarily that you've completely mastered them.