You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dancing to Bieber, Beyonce and the BackStreet Boys  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Dancing to Bieber, Beyonce and the BackStreet Boys
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »
Skate Canada has just released a list of approved contemporary music for pattern dances for testing and comps.  Beyond my hysterical laughter at the idea that Tom Jones performing Whats New Pussy Cat (for the Golden Waltz) is contemporary ... I am not sure about it.  Do I really want my little kid testing a Swing to Single Ladies ...

Here is a sampling. It goes all the way up to our Diamond Dances ... it is optional, but, I have already heard it in use. And of course they did specify only non-explicit versions!

Dutch Waltz                     You and Me - Lifehouse I'll Be - Edwin McCain
Canasta Tango 1             El Capitalismo... - Gotan Project Rolling in the Deep - Adele
Baby Blues                       One Less Lonely Girl - Bieber The Lazy Song - Kidz bop Kidz

Swing Dance                    Put Your Records On - Corinne B  Single Ladies - Beyoncee
Fiesta Tango                    Una Musica Brutal - Gotan Project Set Fire to the Rain - Adele
Willow Waltz                    You and Me - Lifehouse  I'll Be - Edwin McCain

Ten Fox                            Beauty in the World - Macy Gray  Quit Playing Games... - Backstreet Boys
Fourteen Step                  Happy Feet - High Heels Mix Hollaback Girl (Clean Version)-Gwen Stefani
European Waltz               Kiss from a Rose - Seal   I'll Be - Edwin McCain

Keats Foxtrot                   Beauty in the World - Macy Gray  Quit Playing Games... - Backstreet Boys
Rocker Foxtrot                 Black Horse & the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall  Never See Your Face Again- Maroon 5
Harris Tango                    Set Fire to the Rain - Adele  Gotan Project - Queremos Paz
American Waltz                Fallin - Alicia Keys  La Valse d'Amelie (Orchestra) - Yann Tierso

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Dancing to Bieber, Beyonce and the BackStreet Boys
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
Thanks for this list! I have some friends who cut and adjust music for ice dance sessions and weekends and some of these are songs we don't yet use. I've shared the list with them.

Since I skate with them a lot, I've gotten to try out a lot of "modern" music for ice dance. Some things work really well. We've got some great songs for the Hickory now. Others are weird to me still, for example, the Fiesta Tango to Will Smith's "Getting Jiggy With It" (or is that wit' it?) We recently did a Golden Skaters' to The Chipmunks' Christmas Song  :blush:
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
I've never heard of any of those...
sigh, generation gap....

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
So apparently it doesn't matter that "Set Fire To the Rain" and "Rolling in the Deep" aren't, you know, tangos! :(
That's strange.

btw--Black Horse & Cherry Tree makes a great Hickory Hoedown too.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
Here are my top two picks for waltz tunes, both songs I have loved for years which just beg for a romantic waltz....

Man, this was trendy stuff at one time... 8)

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
I use Carribbean Blue for practicing the Starlight! It's actually a little slower, which suits me just fine, lol!  ;D

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:32 PM »
Or this, totally way cool .I'm just getting old I guess..