You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Picking a song?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Picking a song?
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:50:17 AM »
So I think a little bit about what songs I'd wanna do if I did a routine/competition ever. I really really have no idea how that all works. But I've thought through songs a bit. So, tell me what songs would be good, bad, inappropriate, etc, if you'd like. Thanks very much!

Really like this one. But it's quieter, maybe too quiet and too ominous?

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA1OTE0MzY=.html
Sorry it's on a random Chinese website and not youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6t0I5KpSk
Arai Akino - Hiro No Tsuki

Might be too weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szF2ILxONJw
I like this a lot as it's one of my favorite movies, it's about a man who's the first to go to space. So taking flight like that, I guess it has personal meaning for skating and all that kinda stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgbBx7gsVc

All those songs are Japanese. I mostly listen to Japanese stuff I guess. I have lots and lots of soundtracks I can go through for more stuff, as I was collecting soundtracks to stuff before I started skating. My sister is good at editing music and can edit everything down to fit timeslots/etc, no problem. If I understand, some skating competitions (at least high level) ban lyrics, but I've heard foreign lyrics before being allowed, and lower level I don't think often does, right? I can get instrumentals of all those songs with lyrics, so it's not a big deal. Obviously I'd need a coach, and his/her suggestions would probably be the deciding factor. But are all these songs like...appropriate, for skating? I could post even more links, but it'd probably not be prudent, because when you post a youtube video link here it autoloads as a player and I've already posted like 5 anyway.

I'm just wondering if my music choices above are off base. I don't think they are. I'm figuring I don't want anything loud and obnoxious, ala "LMFAO" or "Gangnam Style" or whatever. Nor should it be too fast? Are my music choices too conservative? As I said before, I really enjoy these songs, and find them personally relatable/etc, and easy to "feel." Would it be reasonable when the time came up to present songs in a similar fashion as this to my coach?

Lastly, what one do you think would be best for a first program?

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Picking a song?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »
The first thing to consider is whether you can choreograph a routine for the music. Second is whether you can edit the music to fit the required duration. Third is whether you and your coach like the song.

As you won't be competing at a high level  yet, you don't have to worry much about things like where the music should be fast and where it should be slow.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
I think to choose music people can recognize and at competitions support you because they get sucked in with a piece of music they like. I think in a program you should have fun.  You don't want to have to skate up to your music but something to sweet and peaceful isn't great either. 

I think the first music would get lost on the ice.  It's just too placid.  Might be good for a dance team to do for a slow section of a program but a whole program to it might be a bit boring. 

LOVE the Yellow Magic Orchestra piece.  I'd want to skate to it.  It has a bit of a disco sound to it which always seems to make people smile and it would be easy to ham it up.

I liked the last piano piece too because it has a variety, slow fast and it is pretty.

You just have to go with what you can cut to the appropriate length and what you like.  Remember you want your skating to be the highlight so choose something that doesn't over power you but still you want something you can skate to.  A good beat is always helpful especially if it is your first program.  If you will be competing or doing a show something the audience can clap to is always nice.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
It's also worth listening to the music you have in mind on the loudspeakers at the rink - a lot of music just doesn't come through well, which would make it much harder to choreograph a program to.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
Keep in mind that your first program will likely be under 2 minutes long - could be as short as 1 minute depending upon the level you start at.  That's not a lot of time to do fancy edits without it sounding choppy.  Then you have to consider your own ability.  Just because you like certain music doesn't mean you can skate well to it. 

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
1) can you edit it to the desired length (the Bolero posed some challenges for Torvil/Dean)
2) can you stand listening to it for many many replays?

then what the others said.

Now, since I am the dunce, what is the rule on vocals?

I like all the songs you selected pretty much. Although they are Japanese, they are not 'Japanese' even though that would not matter. I think it's cool music. (Incidentally I have a collection of anime soundtracks on my computer, so hail thee fellow nerd person) although mine is not up to date, I mean, Inuyasha, Naruto, Nausicaa...(which are rather cool, really)

How a piece of music sounds over the PR system is important as well. I am a sound snob...if it's not just so, I get aggravated....

Other than that, with rules about vocals in mind, edit the songs you like to the parts you can skate to, and have fun!
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
My kids are fans of Anime, J-Pop, Vocaloids, video games, etc.  They like a lot of Japanese stuff. My daughter's coach always liked it when she came up with her own music, because it was more interesting for her to work with. So I don't think it's inappropriate to bring some selections to your coach.

One thing they always did was play the music over the loud speaker at the rink. My daughter would skate to it, just interpreting and making up as she went along. Coach would decide what flowed best by watching. Usually they would talk about it and come up with same piece as a favorite.

When picking music for myself, I don't want anything too fast or slow. Skating to your possible selections at the rink can really help with deciding that. I also don't like anything too repetitive. I want to know where I am in my program by the music. I like a few musical cues or transitions.

I like this one that my daughter used a couple times. It's from the Kingdom Hearts video game. We used the cut from 1:22-3:22.

This one is fan music from My Little Pony. She used this for ISI footwork program so had to cut it to 1 min. We edited up the first 1:45 or so to get down to the 1 min.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
I like this one that my daughter used a couple times. It's from the Kingdom Hearts video game. We used the cut from 1:22-3:22.

I LOVE THIS! How did you come across it?

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
you guys just be careful with Disney stuff! They have a lot of bored lawyers on the payroll, enforcing copyright even on poor saps!
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush: