You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI or USFSA?  (Read 3648 times)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
ISI or USFSA?
« on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:30 AM »
So I'm getting a job. So since it's 9-5 with only a half hour lunch break, gotta do freestyle sessions.

Basically, ISI membership is $25, USFSA is $120. My rink closest to me runs USFSA test sessions about every 3 weeks, but no ISI. ISI would be a lot of driving for any test sessions and as far as I know, not transferable to USFSA. Eventually to be "serious" I'd need a USFSA membership anyway, right? Most rinks will take ISI insurance though, to go on freestyle sessions, right? But someone told me some rinks, like USFSA better as you can at least take the first test and show that you completed it, whereas ISI I'd not take their prelim test simply because driving to the ISI testing rink would be a pain. Basically there'd be nothing I'd use the ISI membership for except for insurance.

Maybe this topic's been done to death, but what do people recommend for a first federation to join? Go to ISI for say, a year, or join USFSA right off the bat even if you're not sure if you're actually even going to test that year? I mean, the price difference is like 10 freestyle sessions worth of money. Lastly, social concerns? Will people think anything negative of having an ISI membership? I don't know, part of me doesn't want to waste $25 on a ISI membership if I'm gonna just go get a USFSA one in a month or two or something. But part of it, too, is like, I feel like if I got a USFSA membership I might take skating more seriously/be more motivated because I'd be like "well I got this membership, I have to test" whereas ISI would be like "I got this membership, I can go on the ice."

Any input? Thanks.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: ISI or USFSA?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:09 AM »
Have you talked with the rink? I've never heard of a rink requiring membership to either ISI or USFS to skate on freestyles.  There is a skill level requirement at a lot of rinks, but most of the time it's not strictly enforced.

That said, ISI membership is only $15 a year, but there's also USFS Basic Skills which is $12 and still offers the sports accident insurance coverage.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:35:27 AM »
Check the times of the sessions you will be skating on and see what the rink requires.  If the session is run by the rink, all you may need is the ISI membership.  But if the sessions are run by a club or a coach, they could require USFS membership for their insurance. 

As to which system is preferable for testing, it's up to you.  Which does your coach teach?  In ISI coaches do the testing at the lower levels so you might not need to drive anywhere.  But keep in mind that if you do decide to switch to USFS testing later on, you'll have to start at the bottom and take all the tests in order to get to your level. 

If you want to compete eventually, you should find out what competitions are held in your area and which system sanctions each one. 

For me it all came down to convenience.  I started in the rink-run ISI group classes, but whenn I switched to private lessons, the only ice time I could make outside of working hours was run by the USFS club.  So I joined the club.   

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
You should check to see what the rink you will skate at requires. If a skating club runs the FS ice, you will most likely need to be member of USFS and of that club. If it is ISI rink, they don't always require you to have an ISI membership unless you plan to test or compete. Some require membership for group lessons, others don't.

What does your coach prefer? What are your goals? Do want to compete? If so, which competitions are more prevalent in your area? ISI or USFS?

I started with USFS because I wanted to compete at Adult Nats. It was going to be really close by and I had 18 months. When I decided to do my rink's ISI competition the next year, I was able to skip a bunch ISI tests and compete at their Bronze level.

Personally, I didn't join USFS until I was ready to test. My rink didn't require it unless I wanted to skate on the club ice sessions. You may not need to and be able to save your $$$ for ice time and coaching.

I wouldn't join ISI if you aren't going to test or compete ISI.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:41:23 PM »
You have to be a member of USFS to skate freestyle sessions at my rink. Basic Skills membership is ok but limits the sessions you can skate on. If you are a member of our club (not just any USFS club), ice prices go from $16 to $8 per hour. I'd look into ice prices and see if ice is cheaper as a member of the club - may impact your decision.

I am surprised that the USFS membership is that high though, locally they average about $50-$60 for the year.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:40:04 PM »
I am surprised that the USFS membership is that high though, locally they average about $50-$60 for the year.

I'm not.. ours is $160.  You can reduce the cost of membership with volunteer hours in my club, but for some reason my club has made it difficult to actually get many volunteer hours.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
I'm not.. ours is $160.  You can reduce the cost of membership with volunteer hours in my club, but for some reason my club has made it difficult to actually get many volunteer hours.

Geez...I guess I'm getting off easy then! I just looked at membership fees for five local clubs - my club is the cheapest at $60, highest is $100 with most being $70-$80 so I guess they have gone up since I last looked.

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
You don't mention your skating ability or your goals. If you are just beginning, a USFS basic skills membership may be the way to go. Are you looking to skate for fun or with aims of being a serious competitor?
   Check with your rink. One rink here requires you be a member of a club to do freestyle sessions, but any club is OK, they do it because of a tax break for youth sport groups. Other rinks have no such requirement.
   And yes, USFS membership is expensive, too expensive IMHO. It's difficult for clubs to interest new skaters when the  fee is so high. And while some of the money goes to the club, most goes to the national office.
   Regarding the insurance, be aware it is secondary insurance, that is it only covers after your health insurance, so in reality may not be worth much.

Offline supra

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »
I'm leaning on ISI for now, just to get a feel of how actual freestyle sessions feel vs public ones. Skill level is very uneven. I know all my 3 turns and have pretty good edging and stroking, (well LBI3 isn't quite quite there, but I'm guessing in about two weeks it'll be where I want it?), but can't jump or spin really at all. I figured if I had no coach the safest thing for me to do would be to just put in time with edges and turns. Now I'm monetarily in a better position for coaching, but amount of coached time will be low no matter what. I'd like to be competitive, though, ideally. So for that it's obvious USFSA is needed.

But some out of state rinks may not take ISI? Hmm... So basically ISI might only get me on my rink's freestyle sessions and that's all. I don't think my rink has an adult club. There are other clubs in the state but they might be more driving than is practical (my rink is only 3 miles away from my house.) As far as session pricing, for morning, it goes 11 individually, and 9 for 10 tickets at a time, and 8 for 20 tickets at a time.

So I'll have to ask at the rink specifically if Basic Skills will allow me on the ice there or not. If so, that'd be cheaper by some small margin compared to ISI (not a whole lot of margin, might as well get ISI just in case an ISI event comes up that I think is cool?)

I'm hoping getting on the "real" freestyle sessions will help me somewhat. I know when the freestyle session here overlaps into public sometimes, when I'm skating with the really good people, I'm tempted to try a lot harder/do more stuff. Perhaps that's why I've been stagnating a bit is that public doesn't have the atmosphere a freestyle has.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
Be aware that some rinks may not allow you on freestyle ice at all unless you ARE freestyle level or higher unless you're in a lesson.

Offline supra

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
So I asked the rink director today. Confirmed my suspicions. They said for interim, I could use ISI, they said I can't do USFSA Basic Skills as I never did an LTS program. Also, the local figure skating club cuts down on USFSA membership by like $20. So, probably gonna do ISI interim, then join USFSA when it's time to test.

My person closest to a "coach" told me that an hour of actual coaching would get me prepped for the pre-preliminary test. He says to take that test as it's like your driver's license or swimming certificate for skating.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

My person closest to a "coach" told me that an hour of actual coaching would get me prepped for the pre-preliminary test. He says to take that test as it's like your driver's license or swimming certificate for skating.

Well, this is just plain wrong and the person you call a "coach" doesn't seem to have much respect for the USFS testing system - is he talking about the Pre-Preliminary Moves test?  I would guess that most people would need more than an hour of coaching to pass that test but of course I have not seen you skate.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

Please stop calling this person a "coach" - he's just a clueless wanna-be.  An hour to prep for Pre-Prel Moves, yeah right.

Hey, I have the deed to this bridge I'd like to sell - only $1k and after you wire me the money, I'll send you the deed.

Why are you so intent on self-teaching or having a poser play instructor?  Take the LTS course instead of wasting money trying to skirt the rules.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline supra

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »
Please stop calling this person a "coach" - he's just a clueless wanna-be.  An hour to prep for Pre-Prel Moves, yeah right.

Hey, I have the deed to this bridge I'd like to sell - only $1k and after you wire me the money, I'll send you the deed.

Why are you so intent on self-teaching or having a poser play instructor?  Take the LTS course instead of wasting money trying to skirt the rules.

Because I can. Bye.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »
Because I can. Bye.
Thread closed.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright