You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Should I or shouldn't I? (hurt ankle)  (Read 1780 times)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
Should I or shouldn't I? (hurt ankle)
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
I'm not sure what the heck happened, but I'm having an ankle issue and am trying to decide whether or not to go skating tonight with it like this. I'm thinking since it only hurts when I'm walking (as in, bending at it), maybe it won't hurt with my rock hard cast-like boot on it. I'm extra motivated lately since thinking about developing a program, so I really don't want to miss any time (as it is, I missed this afternoon; want to go tonight to try to make up the time even though there may be a lot more skaters).

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
Re: Should I or shouldn't I? (hurt ankle)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
Oh my, I think I know how I hurt it. I was trying to do floor loops the other day, to learn not to drop my hip, because dropping the hip is why I've still not gotten back my loop (I can do a half loop, which of course counts only as encouragement to drop the hip when trying to do a regular loop).

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »
Ice for 10 minutes an hour.
Anti-inflammatories.

I now ice my bad hip before I get on the ice and after. World.of.improvement
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »
If it's hurting you enough to ask, it's probably wise to take at least a couple of days off.   That's usually my rule of thumb - if it stops me enough (after taking adequate amounts of pain killers) to question it, then I probably shouldn't push it.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »
Better to miss a few days now than a few weeks later.  Besides how can you skate if you can't bend your ankle?  Ice, elevate and ibuprofen are a good mix of things to do to foster repair. 

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
Try H.E.M. ankle rehab system. You can find the information here: http://hemanklerehab.com/

I tried this method a couple of times and loved it. My foot healed really fast. They guarantee that you'll be pain free in a week, even for severely sprained ankles.

And speaking about skating, I was back on the ice a week after my injury, but I didn't do any jumps for a while. You need to listen to your body and decide for yourself. If skating doesn't hurt, go ahead, but try to avoid moves that irritate your ankle.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:16:30 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Ended up not going because I ended up with a really bad headache. I'm not planning to go again until Thursday night, and hopefully it'll be better by then.

I don't know about practicing jumps off ice anymore in just sneakers, with no other support.  Maybe I need a better technique for doing it.