You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ordered my new skates!  (Read 3570 times)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
Ordered my new skates!
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:22:31 AM »
I ordered the new skates today. I'm getting them from Kinzies, since there is free shipping which makes up the difference in the lower prices of MDS.

I ordered the same boots I already have, in the same size (w/split width) since the current ones are such a good fit.

I ordered Matrix Legacy blades, which are going to take a lot of getting used to.  They have an 8ft rocker and I've only ever skated on 7ft rockers. They will also be much ligher, which will take getting used to, but hopefully they will make skating easier.

The other day I asked the coach I've been planning to start with, if I should hold off starting until after I get the new skates - she said to wait, adding the fact that I'm not going to the Olympics.

Does any one have any tips on getting used to new boots that I might not already know, especially for such firm ones (rating is 85)? 

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Ordered my new skates!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »
Hmmm I'm pretty sure there are many tips about breaking in boots. :) Is this your first time getting new boots of this stiffness? Would you mind sharing with us what tips you DO know so we can tell you what you might not know yet?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »
Get them heat molded, it will help a lot.

I didn't find breaking my Elite Plus to be that bad, minus the reaction I had to the rubber on the tongues (which I am assuming won't be a problem for you, since you're wearing the same boots now). I was just getting back on the ice too, so I was not only breaking in new boots but getting my feet back under me, and it was really not that bad.. I did leave the top hooks undone for a very long time but I wasn't really jumping much during that time, so it wasn't a problem. 

My Elite Supremes (90 stiffness) felt absolutely fine from day 1 - a little "different" being new boots, but I was jumping and spinning in them right away, and it only took me a session or two to feel completely comfortable in them.  I only left the top hooks undone for a couple of weeks.  I think you will do just fine with your new boots - you may or may not notice much difference with the blades.  I think the stainless steel runners feel a little faster/smoother on the ice, but as far as the weight difference, I really didn't notice anything when I switched to my paramounts.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:44:18 AM »
Hmmm I'm pretty sure there are many tips about breaking in boots. :) Is this your first time getting new boots of this stiffness? Would you mind sharing with us what tips you DO know so we can tell you what you might not know yet?
The ones I have now I got used at the point of them being about 50% broken in, so I had it easy with them. I have never had to do a full break-in with skates this stiff. The last couple times I had brand new skates was before there was heat molding, and before skates had all kinds of lining and padding.  I used Lexoil inside of the boots in crucial spots to make breaking them in go easier, but it's not possible in boots that have linings. 

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:16:54 AM »
Perhaps some Bunga pads or similar materials? I always have the problem with the tongue and the top edge of the boot digging into my shin . Also, don't tie the laces all the way up. For my Jackson Freestyles, I did not tie the top hook for 1-2 sessions.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
The ones I have now I got used at the point of them being about 50% broken in, so I had it easy with them. I have never had to do a full break-in with skates this stiff. The last couple times I had brand new skates was before there was heat molding, and before skates had all kinds of lining and padding.  I used Lexoil inside of the boots in crucial spots to make breaking them in go easier, but it's not possible in boots that have linings.
Always start with them only laced up two or three hooks (if you can bend at 3) instead of all the way.  Expect to relace every 10-15 minutes.  Do a lot of swizzles and power pulls (even the foot variety helps) to start getting good bend in the boots.  Heat molding helps if they are heat moldable.  If you have any tight spots after heat molding, punch them out.  Highly recommend against the hot wet sock method as this hastens rotting from the inside.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:19 PM »
Highly recommend against the hot wet sock method as this hastens rotting from the inside.

Yes, I agree with this. Hot wet socks can damage your boots.

Backward crossovers are also efficient in breaking in the boots, since they work on both feet at the same time.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:54:14 PM »
I recommend starting at the lowest moves level and working your way up. I start with stroking and then move to crossovers, then 5 step Mohawk and 3 turns, then 8 step Mohawk and then back double 3s, etc.

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:17 PM »
My soon-to-be-last pair of Riedell's were a LOT of boot for me for a couple of years - they were a 2003 model Elite Royal.  Once I learned sit spin (not a granny sit, but a proper sit), they broke in very quickly.  I have new boots coming in the mail tomorrow, and my plan to break them in is sit - change - back sit!  LOL.

Like others are saying, back crossovers are very good for breaking them in.  Other than that, all you need is time.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Sit-change-sit does sound like a great way to break in skates, but I haven't gotten back to them yet since returning to skating.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »
The boots I have now have never caused me even a single blister or sore spot, so I am hoping these will be the same given that they are the same boot with the same size. My old skates weren't fitted right and I got blisters from those. I did find a way to prevent the blisters from forming, and that was to use brush-on liquid bandage stuff over the area where blisters tended to form.