You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Spinning: On spinners, plates, and ice  (Read 6072 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Spinning: On spinners, plates, and ice
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
I've recently started working on my spins (two foot and one foot) for the Pre-Bronze FS test and I'd describe them as "inconsistant".  Sometimes they are perfect.  Other times I literally trip over myself, only get in 2 revolutions before I'm off-balance, or mess things up right at the beginning with the arm swing.  I spent some time last night reading posts and watching videos about off-ice spinning trainers (the 2 plated kind, the plastic kind, and paper plates).  I tried the paper plate technique on the hardwood floors and, it's a fact, I'm not great at spinning yet. As my coach tells me, I need to bend the spinning leg, push with the ball of my foot and not go up on my toe pick, keep my head and posture straight, and finish well.  Easier said than done.

So what are your thoughts on spinning at home?  Do you think it's beneficial for a beginner?  With what kind of spinner?  Or, is the only way to really improve to do it on ice?  (I skate 5 days a week for 1-2 hours each day.)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Spinning: On spinners, plates, and ice
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »
Honestly, I would avoid spinners at this stage... if the mechanics are correct, you should be able to get 3 revolutions off ice without any sort of "aid" beyond possibly socks (foot undeez would be better, because if you get off balance and put your heel down you'll still get some barefoot "grip" and not break your neck - you can get these at any dance store).

Finding the right "spot" to spin on your blade is probably the hardest part of learning to spin... it takes lots of practice as well as a coach who can provide feedback for what you may not be aware of yet - and lest you think that at some point you'll get it and can move on, just like crossovers there is always SOMETHING that can be improved.

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
I've had both types of spinner - the plate kind and the plastic kind - and found neither helpful at all. To me, learning to spin is about body position and blade position. Spinners can't train blade position. They CAN train body position - but they are far, far less forgiving than on ice. I have a consistent 12-15 rev scratch spin, and I can't do more than 2-3 on a spinner. I certainly can't / don't dare do any other spins on it! If I thought the spinner was an indication of on-ice ability I would have been demoralised a long time ago.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
I think spin trainers (aka: spinners) are useless for beginners, especially without any instruction on how to use it properly.  The spinners usually end up being put aside out of frustration since none of the skills translate to the ice well.   Many people give themselves a big push on the spinner and go flying when they lose balance.  It does not, in any way, replace on-ice practice and lessons.

Socks on a smooth floor in an open area is much better since friction provides a speed check. 

A spinner is good for skaters who can already spin since you can use it to practice positions and alignment, but when spinning is still new, it's not a productive tool. 

For spins, I prefer the metal plate spinner - it's too easy to rock off the spin spot on the plastic underfoot version.  The plastic one is better for practicing turns.  For jumps, the small round disk version is best, but the square metal one is just as good.  The ball bearings on the plated spinners pick up carpet fibers and dust, which keep it from turning smoothly, so it requires maintenance.  (compressed air blasts and a shot of silicone suffices.)  The plastic underfoot one will scratch floors, doesn't work on rubber matting and gets stuck on carpeting.  Check it often for embedded debris because that will add to the floor damage.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
I have a plastic spinner and found it to be completely useless for spins!  Practice on ice is the best spin training.  Keep at it- it takes a long time to feel the spin and to be able to adjust it while spinning.  What you are describing with them working one day and being completely off the next- that is just the nature of skating (as my coach keeps reminding me:-)  The inconsistency also means that your technique is not yet solid, only practice will help.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I will stick to practicing on ice and occasionally messing around with a paper plate for fun.  No need to waste the money.   ;D

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
I have a plastic spinner, and I rather like it, though it takes getting used to.  I don't use it for "real" spins so much, but I use it for spinning in the opposite direction.  Coach insisted I get one because my twizzles were weak on my bad side, but consistent use has really helped get me comfortable going the other way.  I still get dizzy if I go too fast though!

It is really difficult trying to achieve spinning positions on it, I can get decent speed and revolutions on back spins, but that's about it.  I tried one of those metal spinners once and couldn't do a thing!!

My best tip for that plastic one is to wear sneakers with good traction, otherwise you'll slip right off it!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »
consistent use has really helped get me comfortable going the other way

I spend a few minutes every session spinning the other way also to help with my "weak" direction twizzles... and I have a passable forward upright the other way now :)  I was actually joking with my coach that for my pre-bronze FS test I should jump/spin the "wrong" way just for the challenge (since the test only requires two half rev jumps)... she said I could probably pull it off but she doesn't recommend trying it.

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 01:38:56 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I will stick to practicing on ice and occasionally messing around with a paper plate for fun.  No need to waste the money.   ;D
Ask L if she has an EDEA spiner you can have or borrow.She might have some, she is a dealer for the skates. Then you can try it out.
If she doesnt we will be back in September and you can try the kids spiner.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 02:22:21 AM »
I used a plastic spinner and it helped me tremendously. I used to call myself spin challenged as I couldn't even do a basic two-foot spin. It took me over a year to get three shaky revolutions on a one-foot spin, but I couldn't cross my feet toe save my life. Then my coach suggested a spinner. I couldn't believe it, but that plastic thing revolutionized my spins. I noticed real improvement in about a week. Withing a couple of months I had a decent scratch spin - about 15 revolutions. But I can only do about three revolutions on the spinner. Still it helped.
     I agree with what was previously said about the importance of technique, proper blade position, etc. You surely need that.My problem, however, was coordination or complete lack thereof. I also used the spinner to practice my back spin. Unfortunately, it's still on the inside edge though I can get several revolutions (probably, seven or eight). So of course, it's not a substitute for on-ice practice. But at the beginning, I couldn't even do one revolution on a back spin. As for the other spins, I can't say the spinner helped a lot. I can't do anything that would look like a sit spin on it. As for the camel spin, I can do one revolution, then I step out of it.
     Overall I think a spinner is good for developing balance and coordination.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
I have a metal plate spinner.  My coach wanted me to get it.  I used it for getting into the right position for my jumps.  I was mainly doing backspins on it.  I am a pretty good spinner and it was tough to get more than 1-2 revs on it. 

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:44 PM »
Ask L if she has an EDEA spiner you can have or borrow.She might have some, she is a dealer for the skates. Then you can try it out.
If she doesnt we will be back in September and you can try the kids spiner.

YAY!  You'll be back!  L said she bought all of her kids a plastic spinner.  She told me a paper plate works as well but I am not great at that yet either.  Maybe when you are back we can get together for dinner one night.  :-)

I used a plastic spinner and it helped me tremendously. I used to call myself spin challenged as I couldn't even do a basic two-foot spin. It took me over a year to get three shaky revolutions on a one-foot spin, but I couldn't cross my feet toe save my life. Then my coach suggested a spinner. I couldn't believe it, but that plastic thing revolutionized my spins. I noticed real improvement in about a week. Withing a couple of months I had a decent scratch spin - about 15 revolutions. But I can only do about three revolutions on the spinner. Still it helped.
     I agree with what was previously said about the importance of technique, proper blade position, etc. You surely need that.My problem, however, was coordination or complete lack thereof. I also used the spinner to practice my back spin. Unfortunately, it's still on the inside edge though I can get several revolutions (probably, seven or eight). So of course, it's not a substitute for on-ice practice. But at the beginning, I couldn't even do one revolution on a back spin. As for the other spins, I can't say the spinner helped a lot. I can't do anything that would look like a sit spin on it. As for the camel spin, I can do one revolution, then I step out of it.
     Overall I think a spinner is good for developing balance and coordination.

Points taken!