You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult nationals wishlist  (Read 2484 times)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Adult nationals wishlist
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
AN does not have leveled step sequences, probably due to the large number of skaters who are used to 6.0.  I don't want to force leveled steps on the championship competitors.  Instead I'd like to see a competition that is just leveled steps.  Skater gets ~1 minute to skate to music, receives a level + GOE.  The event should be cheap since little ice time is used.  Either no test is required, or a certain moves test is required. 

Are there other things people would like to see at AN?  Short programs?  Figures?  Synchro?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: Adult nationals wishlist
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
I think it would be fun to have lower level free dances.  Figures would be cool, too.  But wishing is one thing, and doing is another.  For anything we'd like to add to ANs, we'd likely have to take something else away.  There simply isn't enough time to put it all in.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
AN does not have leveled step sequences, probably due to the large number of skaters who are used to 6.0.  I don't want to force leveled steps on the championship competitors.  Instead I'd like to see a competition that is just leveled steps.  Skater gets ~1 minute to skate to music, receives a level + GOE.  The event should be cheap since little ice time is used.  Either no test is required, or a certain moves test is required. 

Are there other things people would like to see at AN?  Short programs?  Figures?  Synchro?
It was originally leveled steps or leveled spirals.  When the levels were removed from spirals, there was the disparity of getting higher leveled steps than choreographic spiral which is why it went to all choreographic (has nothing to do with 6.0 or IJS skaters, has to do with the fairness issues).

Since a lot of people are already pushing their limit on #of events (for scheduling purposes, no one is allowed more than 4 events because people have events spread across levels), there wouldn't be much call for your footwork event AND when would you do it?  As the schedule stands currently, it is jam packed W-Saturday and there is savings currently in place since IJS events don't start until Thursday on the normal schedule (IJS equipment rental).

Synchro already has it's own nationals.  They like being with their Senior, Junior, Novice, et al mates.

Free dance at the lower levels or solo free dance has it's probable supporters.

There's no time for most adults to train a short program in addition to a FS and dance or interps and for a level like Bronze, how short do you make it?   ;D

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
I hope Adult Nationals will be held somewhere in the Northeast next year!   

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
I would love a short and long program, but I understand that the logistics just don't work.  AN is jam packed to start with, and you're right about no time to prepare everything as an adult.  Heck, with a full time and part time job, I barely have enough time to do one program!

I really like the idea of them adding additional dance levels.  I've never done dance, so I intend to do bronze next year if I can pass some tests.  With the addition of pre-silver I'm hoping that I won't get stuck at bronze for too many years as I try to fit dance lessons into my schedule.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
It was originally leveled steps or leveled spirals.  When the levels were removed from spirals, there was the disparity of getting higher leveled steps than choreographic spiral which is why it went to all choreographic (has nothing to do with 6.0 or IJS skaters, has to do with the fairness issues).

I think a better description of the IJS trend is towards the elimination of spirals as a technical element.  Now it is in Senior Ladies Freeskate and Pairs Freeskates only, I think, and in those cases a step sequence is also required.

I observed a fair amount of vacant ice at AN this year due to events ending ahead of schedule.  And I thought the pre-event practice ice was already declared disposable?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
No, only the 15 minute offical warm ups are declared disposable (not pre-event practice ice - that is an area the host club/council makes a lot of money if done correctly) which will make finishing earlier in the day a possibility (some nights ended around 10P or later).  The 15 minute officials were ONLY for FS events this year, and the schedule was STILL jam packed.  Yes, some IJS events were ending earlier than planned, but not by that much that you can add an entire additional event of any sort.

The tweaks to IJS for spirals have been made to get away from seeing the *same* spiral sequence lady after lady for 50 ladies to get a L4. The choreographic sequence that is being voted on this year at ISU Congress is a REALLY good step away from that (and it applies to men too to get rid of the second choreographic step sequence in the Men's programs).  A step sequence has always been more or less required!  For adults, when the spirals went away from leveled and because of WBP requirements, it made sense to make it choreographic step or spiral sequence...

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
(and it applies to men too to get rid of the second choreographic step sequence in the Men's programs)

I hope that does not mean men will stop doing a second step sequence.

Thanks for the information.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 07:40:27 PM »
If it passes, they will