You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: test level waiving  (Read 3284 times)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
test level waiving
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:51 AM »
Does anyone know if waiving a prerequisite FS level test automatically waives the prerequisite MIF test, when the standard track tests taken were taken before MIF existed?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: test level waiving
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »
If you have passed a free skate test, that is the level you are at, no matter when the test was passed.  To advance to the next level, you would take first the MIF test, then the Free Skate test for that level.  If you're talking about Adult levels, and you passed some standard levels in the past, there is a crossover chart in the Rule Book (available on line on the USFS web site).  I"m not sure what you mean by "waiving" a test - that's why I wondered whether you were talking about crossing over to the adult structure?

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you're refering to adult tests taken BEFORE MITF were added to the test structure (1990s, I think), I believe the answer is yes. That is (for example), if a skater passed Adult Bronze freeskate at an earlier date when the test only consisted of a freeskate, then at present she could move on to adult silver MITF without taking Bronze MITF. However, she must pass Silver MITF before taking the freeskate.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
IIRC, the pre-Moves Freestyle tests had Figure test prerequisites.  Those Figure tests fulfilled the Moves requirements, allowing the skater to continue testing without retaking prior level Moves tests.

Since the Adult Moves tests were created after Figures were eliminated, similar "grandfathering" occurred.  Contact the USFSA to figure out where in the test structure you should pick up your testing.

The competition rules are more flexible at the non-qualifying levels, but the qualifying level events have some strict test rules.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
IIRC, the pre-Moves Freestyle tests had Figure test prerequisites.  Those Figure tests fulfilled the Moves requirements, allowing the skater to continue testing without retaking prior level Moves tests.

Weren't there a few years where neither was required?  I know of people who have taken tests (adult tests) without ever taking a figure or a moves test.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
Yes, there was a gap between Figures being phased out and Moves being phased in, so skaters only had to pass the Freeskate test with no prerequisites.  drskater addressed that earlier.  I believe (Debbie S would know for sure) that the Adult track was created with Freeskate-only tests initially, with the Moves tests coming later.  That's no longer true and the OP was asking about standard track freeskate tests fulfilling the Adult Moves tests for the lower levels. 

I wonder if the grandfathering rules are still in effect, given the time that's passed?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
I wonder if the grandfathering rules are still in effect, given the time that's passed?

They are.  It's for returning adult skaters, really.  As Clarice said, whatever your freestyle level is, that's your level.  To move up, you take the next MIF test, and then the next freestyle test.  If you want to stay standard track, if you've passed, say pre-juv, the next test you take is juv MITF.

For those ready to crossover from standard to adult, there is a chart in the test rulebook:
If you have passed pre-pre FS, you must take either adult pre-bronze/preliminary MITF before you take Adult Pre-Bronze FS.
If you have passed preliminary FS, you must take adult bronze/pre-juv MITF to take the Adult Bronze FS.
If you have passed pre-juv FS, you must take adult silver (it actually says sliver)/juv MITF to take the Adult Silver FS.
If you have passed juv FS, you must take adult gold/intermediate MITF to take Adult Gold FS.

These all seem to crossover one level different than I'd expected (as written it appears that prelim = pre-bronze, pre-juv=bronze, juv = silver, with no crossover to Gold, because if you've passed higher than juv FS, you're Intermediate, which makes you Master's level.)  That's weird.

Ah- but in the regular rulebook, the crossover levels to SKATE (not test) are a little different- this makes more sense.
To compete championship Adult Gold, you must have passed either the Adult Gold FS or the Juvenile FS.
To compete Adult Silver, you must have passed Adult Silver FS, or Juvenile before Oct. 1994 or Pre-Juv after that.
To compete Adult Bronze, it's the Adult Bronze FS or Preliminary.
Adult Pre-bronze, is the pre-bronze FS or Preliminary FS.

(There is also some stuff about highest figure level passed)

Those crossover levels make more sense, but it is weird that if your test qualifies you to skate in say, Silver, you have to take the silver tests before you can move to Gold - if I'm reading this correctly.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
Again, that's freeskate grandfathering/crossover information. 

I can't find the Moves test equivalent of that in the rulebook.  Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I recall something that said "If the skater passed () Figures or () Freeskate prior to (date), they should test (Moves)." 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »
Your freeskate level grandfathers you into the moves scheme.  That's what the first part was: if you've passed X freeskate, you must take Y moves to move on to the next freeskate.

I did not find anything in the rulebook that grandfathered figures to moves.

Here are the moves equivelents:
If you have passed preliminary MIF, you can skip pre-bronze MIF
If you have passed pre-juv, you can skip bronze.
If you have passed juv, you can skip silver
If you have passed intermediate, you can skip gold.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
But that's not what I remember; maybe it was something Novask8tr wrote up and I'm not remembering it correctly, but there was something with figures and moves.  It was a long time ago (since Nova didn't make the switch to this board) so I think the rule I'm thinking of has been changed since then.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:46 AM »
There are notes on figures for the freeskate, but not moves tests.

For example, Masters Junior-Senior allows you to have passed 4th figure prior to 1977 to qualify to skate. In the lower adult levels there are also limitations such as Adult gold where you cannot have passed higher than 2nd figure before 1977.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »
As I already said, I know what the rulebook says and doesn't say.  I checked the current rulebook and several prior years. 

Again, this doesn't address the OP's question, lol.  Their best bet is to contact the USFSA to figure out where in the test structure they should pick up their testing.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
Is this the document you are looking for? It was on the adult page on usfigureskating.org

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/201112Adult%20test%20and%20WBP%20Descriptions.pdf

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »
Is this the document you are looking for? It was on the adult page on usfigureskating.org

http://www.usfsa.org/Content/201112Adult%20test%20and%20WBP%20Descriptions.pdf
Thanks, but whatever I read wasn't about competing, it was definitely about Moves testing without starting at the lowest rung.  I think it's probably no longer in effect.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 05:47:38 PM »
There was a brief time when the adult freeskate tests existed WITHOUT a moves requirement, and my understanding is that you can pick up the moves at whatever the "next" level would be.  So if you tested through bronze freeskate, you have to take silver moves before you can take silver freeskate.  You don't have to take pre-bronze or bronze moves if you happened to take those freeskate tests before the moves tests were in place.

There is someone at my rink who this happened to, however she chose (on her own) to test through the standard track moves because she felt at somewhat of a disadvantage once they were put into place and the "next" level seemed almost impossible without the foundation of doing the ones before.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
Yes, it does "waive" the requirement.  I passed the Adult Gold FS test before the MIF were implemented and I started MIF at the Intermediate level