You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Theater on ice?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Sydney

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Theater on ice?
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:46:48 PM »
Hey everyone! i am brand new to the forum, so I hope i put this into the right topic!  :sweat
Okay so anyways, a club nearby me has a Theater on ice program. Have any of you done it before? what is it like? Is it like synchro? Sorry for all the questions! I am fairly new to skating all together so that's why I don't know much about it! Thanks! :D

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Theater on ice?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
hi sydney! welcome to the forums!

i tried out to a theater on ice team at my rink, and made it as an alternate. although i decided not to do it, i still know a bunch about it (both of my coaches also coach the TOI team). theater on ice involves acting and dancing. they do cast characters, but there aren't any lines or songs. it seems like a ton of fun, i just couldn't do it because of the time and financial commitment. but you should definitely do it if you can!

Offline SK8N

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
I have done Theatre on Ice for many years.  I'm not doing it this year for financial reasons, but plan to rejoin next season.  It is a lot of fun. 

It is different than synchro.  The Choreographic Excercise (CE) part does tend to be more like synchro.  In the freesytle you are actually telling a story, using costumes and props.  The CE is skated in simple black costumes and concentrates more on the choreography and assigned styles.  I've never done synchro, so I don't know the requirements of synchro to compare the two.

It is called Theatre on Ice in America, but in other counties it is called Ballet on Ice.  Ballet on Ice tends to be more like synchro with everyone (or at least large groups) doing the same thing at the same time.

Our team did Board Games last year.  We showcased various board games and had costumes according to the board games.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »
My rink just started this program last year...they didn't have enough for competitions, but they skated in the ice shows. I'm joining, it will be just before my lesson with my coach (who also coaches TOI) along with 4 of the ladies at my rink. I'm jazzed!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!