You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: The Problem with Tights  (Read 14327 times)

Offline mommiegeek

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
The Problem with Tights
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »
I have a terrible time buying tights for my daughter, unless I go to the local pro shop and actually see them in the package. Is there any place to get swatches or color wheels of some sort for tights? She's biracial and it's very hard to match tights to her skin tone because she's far more pale than one would expect, but far too dark to wear the lighter colored tights. That is to say that she's far from fair, but your typical medium skin tones are too dark for her. I'd love to be able to buy tights online, where they're often less expensive and I can get more for my dollar.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Re: The Problem with Tights
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »
 You bring up a very valid issue.  I have not seen figure skating tights darker than suntan, which to me looks a little orange like a sunburn.  Suntan matches my skin tone because I am Italian and live in the sun.

Perhaps this? http://www.shadesofdance.org   Dance tights are not as thick or durable as figure skating tights, but I have skated in my pink ballet tights without issue.   I think for a competition or test, dance tights would do fine.  I don't know how they will hold up to repeated falls, though.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
Suntan seems to be the default color, which is a bummer, because it matches so very few people.

On Mondor's website they have figure skating tights in Light tan, Suntan, caramel and brown.  I've not seen the caramel color in person, but maybe that might be an option?  I think you can special order Mondor tights through a few retailers.

Dance tights are also a good option, they come in a lot more colors and fabric weights.  I know quite a few skaters who wear dance tights for performances.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
I feel your pain - I have very pale skin and find the suntan way too dark. You could try contacting the manufacturers directly and asking if they can provide samples. I think the biggest problem is that even if you do identify a color option most of the internet sites only offer suntan, so you may still need to get a local store to do special order - is it possible that they would do sale or return so you can at least see if the actual tights would work?

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
http://www.nitasports.com/

These are the ones Polina Edmonds uses and are supposedly VERY pale. I haven't tried them but a pale friend of mine ordered them to test out.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
http://www.nitasports.com/

These are the ones Polina Edmonds uses and are supposedly VERY pale. I haven't tried them but a pale friend of mine ordered them to test out.

I wear these, and they are the closest to my pasty white skin color as I can find. I wouldn't say exact, but close enough to the illusion mesh on my dress and my actual skin color to work well. And they're a bit heavier than, say, Mondor, so they don't rip. Unfortunately, they only have the one color though.

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:43:14 PM »
That's actually great to hear. I used some old tights I had for testing, and two pairs had rips through them, so I used the one pair that didn't. I am going to order these.

Online Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
I wear the Nitasports brand of tights as well.  They're very soft.  I ordered mine from www.redswanusa.com.  They call the color 'Latte' on their web site and they're a couple of dollars less than the Nitasports web site.  I didn't compare shipping costs, though.

Offline mommiegeek

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
If the ones on nitasports.com are pale, then they're going to be too light for my DD.  :-\ 

However, I did look at http://www.redswanusa.com/ and I'm going to try a pair of the latte for my daughter. If those don't work, I'll go up to mocha (which I fear will be too dark!  :D) I'm also going to pick up some dance tights for practice and see how she likes them.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Online Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:42 AM »
The Latte are a bit warmer in tone than the Mondor Light Tan, but lighter (with no orange) than Mondor Suntan.  Hope that helps!  But the Redswan Latte tights are the same as the Nitasports tights; it's just that Redswan is calling the color a different name.  I am pretty sure what Redswan calls Milk (the lightest shade of all) are the Mondor Light Tan, although they call it Mondor Sand (maybe that's a new Mondor shade?)  And what Redswan calls Mocha are the Mondor Suntan.  Redswan doesn't actually sell their own label of tights.  If you click on their descriptions, you will see the brands called out. 

Edited to add that the Milk footed tights on Redswan are Mondor; the Milk OTB on Redswan are Chloe Noel.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:15:21 PM »
I just took a look at the Red Swan website and it says the Milk OTB tights are Chloe Noel. They're a good price ($15) so I was tempted until I read the following:

Footed tights can be expected to last many wearings, but Over the Boot Tights are generally a one time use.

Due to the stress placed on the tights when they're stretched tight over your boots, they're not meant to hold up to abrasions or blade catches. The first lunge you take may start a hole. This is to be expected and is not a manufacturing defect.

That doesn't seem like good value  ???

Offline skatemom189

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
You can buy chloe noel footed tights.  I just bought a pair actually for the upcoming skating shows.  They are lighter than mondor light tan, and quite bit lighter than mondor suntan which look ridiculous on my blond daughter.  I got the chloe noel ones through Amazon for about $12 US.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
OTB tights definitely get stressed more than regular tights, but I haven't found them one-time use with my kids. And even once they get a slight hole or run, they're still wearable for a bit if it's not in a noticeable spot.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 03:14:46 PM »
I read that one time use comment too.  I think they were addressing prior complaints (because they talked about lunges and the inevitable toepick in the tights).  I have re-used OTB tights many times.  If I get a small hole or run, I just stitch it up with matching thread.  You can also get beige boot covers to go over your boots which will hide all the small runs/holes.  Definitely not as long lasting as footed or footless tights, but not single use either.

What actually bugged me more, was that their picture shows the tight pulled all the way down over the heel.  I'm not really a fan of OTB tights anyway, but I think they look much better when the heel is showing. 

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
I just had to go look at photos because I couldn't picture what you meant. It does look weird pulled all the way over like that. I checked my own photos and confirmed that I leave the heel sticking out when I do my kids' tights. I don't love the OTB to start with, but they sure do.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
I wonder how the milk tights would look with my red head skin. I might have to try a pair. I need some new tights anyway. I just wish they come in footless.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 03:02:25 AM »
Every time I go to buy more tights I end up looking at them and wondering if they match ANYONE'S skin tone. Too dark for some, too light for others, and just oh dear.

Much as I loved the Rainbo tights, they were practice tights only for me because they made me legs look like I'd got an especially horrid spray tan. Even the light Mondor tights are too dark for me.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 02:32:58 PM »
I've ordered some of the nita sports tights to check out. Mondor's light tan has always been too dark and "off color" for me, but it was better than the other options. I'm thinking the wider knit waistband on the nita sport tights will be a good thing too.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
I've ordered some of the nita sports tights to check out. Mondor's light tan has always been too dark and "off color" for me, but it was better than the other options. I'm thinking the wider knit waistband on the nita sport tights will be a good thing too.

Can you let us know what you think when you get them?
I'm liking the idea that they might actually be closer to the right skin tone, but would like a second opinion before I order any (as I need to ship international).

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 06:44:13 PM »
Can you let us know what you think when you get them?
I'm liking the idea that they might actually be closer to the right skin tone, but would like a second opinion before I order any (as I need to ship international).

https://instagram.com/tracyr34/ <--- Here's a link to my instagram for anyone who wants to see what the Nita tights look like on. In the picture with the three of us (most recent picture posted), I'm the one in the middle, and have Nita OTB tights on. It was taken with an iphone and no filter was added. They're the closest I can find to my skin tone, better than the Mondor. And I have big feet, so the OTB tights not ripping or getting holes the first time I wore them was a plus! And the knit waistband is nice because it doesn't dig in.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »
You don't happen to know what brand / color the lady to your right (on the left of the photo) is wearing do you? Her tights look slightly lighter than yours.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
From left to right:

Nita sports
Mondor Microfiber Light Tan
Mondor Evolution Light Tan
Mondor Evolution Suntan

For my skintone, the Nita sports is slightly too warm, but looked pretty good on the ice.  The light tan Mondors are a bit too ashy but also go well with the mesh on my dress.  Suntan is waaaay to dark, but I have a dress with mesh that color, so...

FYI, I get a ton of wear with OTB tights - one of those pairs has been worn for at least a dozen performances.  It has a few runs in the boot area, but they're not too bad and barely noticeable on the ice.  I'm just careful putting them on!

Hopefully this is helpful!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 09:21:52 PM »
Thank you for the picture. Interesting to see the different waistband on the Nita tights too. It definitely looks like it would be more comfortable.

I'm interested in the sizing too. I couldn't find a sizing chart on the Nita site so went to the Red Swan site. The sizing they show there is identical to Mondor, but when I looked at the footless tights there is only one review which is from someone who purchased Large (which seems to be the biggest option) and despite being 5'2" / 135lbs found the waistband tight. I'm way larger than that!!!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 01:01:53 AM »
Another question do the over boot bit on them go over large feet? I've had Mondor Performance which barely fit over my US size 9 skates and to get them to they end up laddering (hence I understand the RedSwan comment).

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 01:07:57 AM »
I wear women's size 12 skates, and Nita are literally the first otb that didn't rip or get overstretched the first time I wore them. Mondor always would get holes or rips the first time because they didn't stretch enough.

And I got the large/x-large and they fit well. They stretch a lot, and didn't dig in at the waist. I'm 5'9 and overweight. So take it how you will.