You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Foot pain  (Read 3148 times)

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 9
  • Cosplay
Foot pain
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »
Ever since I've gotten my skates(March 2010), my feet have been hurting almost EVERY time I skate.
Before it used to hurt not too much, I was a nagging pain that I could ignore. It usually hurts around the arch of my foot about from the ball to almost my heel, and the sides.
Since around the end of November, when I started Delta, the pain was where I had to stop sating and move to the boards. Then it became horrible to the point that I had to get off the ice during my group lesson to take off my skates and redo them. That helped a little bit but as soon as redid them, the pain came back. 
I noticed the majority of the pain happened while doing crossovers. It hurt to where I was tearing up.  I did notice though, that it didn't hurt so much doing other things such as 3 turns but hurt more when I stopped moving.
I don't know why I keep having this pain. It's frustrating because I love to skate and will try to skate through it, but I hate wasting ice time sitting on the bench waiting for the pain to subside a little.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Foot pain
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Everytime dd's feet hurt we take her skates tot he pro shop.  It is not convenient, they make adjustments right away.  Have you brought them in to the person who sold them to you?  I'm hoping get get a simple fix.

This is kind of weird (I haven't heard of one foot changing before), but dd started having pain on her landing foot.  He remeasured and her landing foot is getting wider.  So he punched them out a little more and she is comfortable again.  The length of her feet has not changed and he keeps detailed records of skaters measurements.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
It may be that the arch support in the boot is not right for your foot.  Have you tried a different insole (such as Superfeet).  I have had arch pain with my boots as well, but it went away after a couple of weeks or so of skating.  My foot just adjusted to the footbed.  
I would go to your boot fitter and see what insole they would recommend.  
If a boot fitter is not available- then maybe a podiatrist- you can bring the boot and have them look at the mechanics.  
Pain for this long means that the boot is not fitting properly.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
During my never-to-be-repeated and painful to remember time trying to learn how to skate, I got a similar pain; it was due to a too stiff and rigid boot that didn't allow me to flex my ankle or foot.  Stupidly, I fitted myself for skates ... bought them off the rack sort of thing.  I'd get a skate fitter to look at your skates, or, if you have coverage, a physiotherapist to check your feet, preferably one who treats skaters.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
I experience similar kind of pain when I don't have the footbed support I need in my boots - I need extra arch support and correction for pronation.

Pretty much if I am aware of any "empty space" between my foot and the insole I know I will end up with cramping... the support for my foot has to be correct.  Likewise in a boot that is too narrow I end up with similar pain.  Funny thing is, this doesn't bother me as much in street shoes, but my cycling shoes showed very clearly where my foot was not making any contact with the insole, and I was having arch cramping on my bike, but changing the insoles fixed that (I still don't make complete contact, but the pain is gone, which is good enough for me).... I think it has to do with the rigidity of the soles, so street shoes don't bother me because they bend, but my cycling shoes have very stiff soles - not unlike skate boots.

In terms of going to a fitter vs fitting yourself.. really all a fitter is going to do is listen to what you say about how your foot feels in a boot and suggest what you can do about it (try different size, different width, different brand, etc).  A good fitter will have a variety of boots and sizes to try, but that doesn't always mean that you will end up with better fitting boots, it just means you have a better opportunity of getting it right, and the possibility of making it right if they get it wrong (if they boot ordered doesn't fit).

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »
In terms of going to a fitter vs fitting yourself.. really all a fitter is going to do is listen to what you say about how your foot feels in a boot and suggest what you can do about it (try different size, different width, different brand, etc).  A good fitter will have a variety of boots and sizes to try, but that doesn't always mean that you will end up with better fitting boots, it just means you have a better opportunity of getting it right, and the possibility of making it right if they get it wrong (if they boot ordered doesn't fit).

I think it may depend on the fitter, and the degree of expertise.  A good fitter knows what boots fit what type of feet; how they should fit on the feet, and how to measure properly, as well as how to work with the manufacturer in terms of getting what you need.  They are also able to determine the appropriate strength (stiffness) of a boot, with a goal of avoiding under/over booting, and how to make the adjustments necessary after purchase.  I can't afford the time that would be cost for training for my kid if I had to go through downtime of having boots misfitted. A few weeks of lost training time may mean the difference between Nationals and not Nationals ... We do have an excellent fitter, and now that Kling is done :(  he's working very closely with us to determine our ongoing solution for skates. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »
I had a lot of foot pain, and I had to experiment with tying my boots different ways. I finally came up with a solution.
(shameless self promotion).

Also, I agree with others, you may find better insoles helpful. I found the yellow ones from super feet worked for me, but not everyone does.

I did a lot of personal modification to my insoles (I keep meaning to write a blog post about this, but camera's on the fritz). I did a lot of experimentation to get it right.

Based on my long sad history of pronation, I found that actually doing strengthening exercises for my feet helped me more than any blade adjustment or fancy orthotic. I'm now down to no blade adjustments and one orthotic. What with the boot tying changes I skate pain free.

BTW, you don't skate in cold boots do you? I have to warm mine up now due to the arthritis in one toe. I used to be able to skate in boots that were like blocks of ice, but not any more. I now put them on a heating pad on low before I leave the house, (No it  doesn't reshape them) and I no longer have toe pain.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »
That sounds very much like the foot pain I used to get when I was over booted. The arch pain was intolerable, particularly when doing cross-overs and I had to stop and rest frequently, unlace the boots etc.

As soon as I moved to boots that were less stiff the pain basically disappeared (put it this way - there was virtually NO break-in time for the new boots).

I would make sure you aren't wearing boots that are too stiff for your skating level.

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Cosplay
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
That sounds very much like the foot pain I used to get when I was over booted. The arch pain was intolerable, particularly when doing cross-overs and I had to stop and rest frequently, unlace the boots etc.

As soon as I moved to boots that were less stiff the pain basically disappeared (put it this way - there was virtually NO break-in time for the new boots).

I would make sure you aren't wearing boots that are too stiff for your skating level.

I'm pretty sure I'm not overbooted. They're not stiff and I can bend well.  I have Riedell 133 TS. I'm beginning Basic 8/Intro to Freestyle type elements.
BTW, you don't skate in cold boots do you? I have to warm mine up now due to the arthritis in one toe. I used to be able to skate in boots that were like blocks of ice, but not any more. I now put them on a heating pad on low before I leave the house, (No it  doesn't reshape them) and I no longer have toe pain.
I try to always warmup my boots a bit under the handdryer in the bathroom now that its so cold outside and I use public transport to get to the rink.
I think it may depend on the fitter, and the degree of expertise.  A good fitter knows what boots fit what type of feet; how they should fit on the feet, and how to measure properly, as well as how to work with the manufacturer in terms of getting what you need.  They are also able to determine the appropriate strength (stiffness) of a boot, with a goal of avoiding under/over booting, and how to make the adjustments necessary after purchase.  I can't afford the time that would be cost for training for my kid if I had to go through downtime of having boots misfitted. A few weeks of lost training time may mean the difference between Nationals and not Nationals ... We do have an excellent fitter, and now that Kling is done :(  he's working very closely with us to determine our ongoing solution for skates. 

I wish I could find a good fitter who would do all those things. As of right now, I can only afford my pro shop's fitters who don't do much.
I experience similar kind of pain when I don't have the footbed support I need in my boots - I need extra arch support and correction for pronation.

Pretty much if I am aware of any "empty space" between my foot and the insole I know I will end up with cramping... the support for my foot has to be correct.  Likewise in a boot that is too narrow I end up with similar pain.  Funny thing is, this doesn't bother me as much in street shoes, but my cycling shoes showed very clearly where my foot was not making any contact with the insole, and I was having arch cramping on my bike, but changing the insoles fixed that (I still don't make complete contact, but the pain is gone, which is good enough for me).... I think it has to do with the rigidity of the soles, so street shoes don't bother me because they bend, but my cycling shoes have very stiff soles - not unlike skate boots.

Well, I do have plantar fasciitis, flat feet. I have a tiiiiiny arch when i dont pronate, but I naturally pronate so...
During my never-to-be-repeated and painful to remember time trying to learn how to skate, I got a similar pain; it was due to a too stiff and rigid boot that didn't allow me to flex my ankle or foot.  Stupidly, I fitted myself for skates ... bought them off the rack sort of thing.  I'd get a skate fitter to look at your skates, or, if you have coverage, a physiotherapist to check your feet, preferably one who treats skaters.
Good idea, I'l have to check with my insurance. Thanks!

It may be that the arch support in the boot is not right for your foot.  Have you tried a different insole (such as Superfeet).  I have had arch pain with my boots as well, but it went away after a couple of weeks or so of skating.  My foot just adjusted to the footbed.
I would go to your boot fitter and see what insole they would recommend. 
If a boot fitter is not available- then maybe a podiatrist- you can bring the boot and have them look at the mechanics. 
Pain for this long means that the boot is not fitting properly.
I've looked into Superfeet. I can't afford them yet, but I currently have Nike normal shoe insoles in my skates which helped a little bit, but not anymore.

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Cosplay
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Everytime dd's feet hurt we take her skates tot he pro shop.  It is not convenient, they make adjustments right away.  Have you brought them in to the person who sold them to you?  I'm hoping get get a simple fix.

This is kind of weird (I haven't heard of one foot changing before), but dd started having pain on her landing foot.  He remeasured and her landing foot is getting wider.  So he punched them out a little more and she is comfortable again.  The length of her feet has not changed and he keeps detailed records of skaters measurements.

I've inquired about boot stretching, but  I'm scared it'll ruin my boots. Plus, I don't know how competent the person is about the process since they're the rink shop.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 10:53:03 AM »
I was going to comment that in my custom boots I never use, I had incredible foot pain on one side. The boot was just a fraction of an inch too short, making me curl my feet just enough that after 15 or so minutes that foot killed me. I couldn't fix those boot so they're off to ebay.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
Anges - they couldn't punch out the toes?

Sometimes I have the rink proshop stretch the boot.  I don't know how it could go wrong.  Worst case they are re-heated and molded (not that we have ever had to do that).  If you haven't had it done, it looks weird at first - like a round lump.  But after a couple days that lump is no longer noticeable.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
Anges - they couldn't punch out the toes?

Sometimes I have the rink proshop stretch the boot.  I don't know how it could go wrong.  Worst case they are re-heated and molded (not that we have ever had to do that).  If you haven't had it done, it looks weird at first - like a round lump.  But after a couple days that lump is no longer noticeable.

We tried, they even re built the boot. It was also like skating in concrete. Live and learn. 

Offline DebinOz

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 04:07:23 PM »
I have had problems with this since beginning skating 3 years ago. Things that I have found to help are:
- making sure boots are correct width fitting ( I now have EE width boots)
- having custom orthotics made - my feet were hurting all day long at work too ( resulted in pain reducing to only when cold and for first half hour or so on the ice)
- wearing thermal socks
- doing a 'foot warm up' before skating
- lacing boots fairly loose until warmed up then tightening

Good luck!