You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates and Protection  (Read 3340 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Skates and Protection
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
So if you were alone and coming home from skate practice.  Then your walking then you feel that someone is stalking you or planning to attack you. Would you use your skates as protection? Like threaten them "I have my skates, FRESHLY SHARPENED. IM NOT AFRAID TO USE IT." Would you use it to protect yourself from an attacker?  :BS: Thoughts?

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Skates and Protection
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
lol :P

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
My answer is "no" to every part of your fantasy scenario.

I have to laugh at the "freshly sharpened" threat.  It amazes me that people are so afraid of the sharp edges on blades, like they are Ginzu knives, roflol. 

Aren't you wearing Marquis skates with the stock blade?  It's a 1/16th of an inch thick - what are you going to do?  Knock the guy down and draw the blade across his throat?  If you could knock him down, that would be the time to slam his head into the ground and render  him unconscious so you can escape.

You should take some self defense classes if you're really worried about being attacked.  the smarter route is not take risks like walking alone in the first place.  If someone is following you, go into a business or ring someone's doorbell, make some noise like "leave me alone.  I don't know you."  Stranger Danger skills that are taughtin Kindergarten.

The best you could hope for is a little blunt force trauma to surprise the attacker by swinging the skates by their laces.  If he's already close enough to grab you, you could scratch him a bit with a toepick or the tail, but you'd have to be very strong to do any damage.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »
While it's an interesting thought, the time it would take to get the skate out of the bag and remove the soaker would make this impossible.

Now, if you were ON the ice and you got attacked, then the skate could come in handy.

Personally, I'd automatically just SING (a la Miss Congeniality; solarplex, instep, nose, groin!)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
My skates are heavy- I very likely might swing my skate bag at someone, but quite honestly, if I was really in danger of being attacked, my skates would be dropped so I could run- I wouldn't try to run while carrying them. 

I don't think a skate would offer much protection though.

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
I am crazy for even thinking about this. ooops. haha  ;D :sweat

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »
A friend of mine (a coach) told me this story about a hockey player from her first rink. I think it happened in the 70's.

The player walked out into the parking lot which is surrounded by trees. He's approached by a guy wielding a pocket knife.
"Give me all your money." The guy says.

The hockey player, standing there with his sticks and skates and who knows what else, says to the guy, "I've got two sticks and two blades, and you're threatening me with that?"

The guy turned and ran. The hockey player went back to the rink and called the police.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
I remember growing up a girl telling me her mom told her if walking home in the evening with her skate bag to keep it open and her hand on a skate so if someone approached she could fight them off with her skate.  I always thought this was silly but hey skates are heavy and hard and toe picks can do some damage. Heck I have witnessed hair being trimmed unintentionally by skates.  Better than nothing. 

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
I remember growing up a girl telling me her mom told her if walking home in the evening with her skate bag to keep it open and her hand on a skate so if someone approached she could fight them off with her skate.  I always thought this was silly but hey skates are heavy and hard and toe picks can do some damage. Heck I have witnessed hair being trimmed unintentionally by skates.  Better than nothing.

My mom told me to use my keys.... I've seen a humorous self defense video on this. It's hysterical, but can't seem to find it on YouTube.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
While it's an interesting thought, the time it would take to get the skate out of the bag and remove the soaker would make this impossible.

Now, if you were ON the ice and you got attacked, then the skate could come in handy.

Yeah, timing is key.

Which one of the moves below will you use when you are ON the ice? :D

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
I would not want to risk blunting my precious blades!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 05:11:33 AM »
It will be hard to take off the skates from my bag and the soakers from my skates. But even if you were on the ice and you were threatened, I suppose the first thing you would do is to run as fast as you can away from the attacker.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:55 AM »
When I was a kid I used to walk 1.5 miles to the outdoor rink, then home in the dark, the first part through the park with no lights, by myself. Back then people didn't do all kinds of horrible things like they do now. Nowadays even with a gun, I would not walk through there at night.

I do believe my skates might buy me some time if I whacked someone good and hard with them in the head (Jackson Elite Plus are very hard and heavy). But as others have pointed out, it would take too long to get them out of the bag to make any difference.

If I was planning to take a walk in the dark with my skates and questioned safety, I would keep the skates out, tie the strings together and keep them slung over my shoulder.

If someone attacked my on the ice, I would probably be knocked down at first contact. In that case, I'd kick up and then they would also be down and neither of us would be able to get up quick enough to not get kicked. So we would both either have to give up, or would have a toe pick kicking fest with each other and have some lovely ugly scars on out faces to show off in future skating events.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »
If I was on the ice and got attacked (good luck with that one mr. attacker guy) then I would just do a death drop on them, or a flying camel for the repeated hits.  Outside the ice, I'd give them a good hard whack in the head with my skate bag.  My Klings will hold up to one good whack after what they get put through when I skate.  Then I'd run while they were wondering what just happen.