You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Music  (Read 760 times)

Offline adrien

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Music
« on: December 19, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
Quite a few times, I see a skating routine and the music is... well... not up to the same standard as everything else. 

Even it seems at Olympic level.

you get really brutal cuts between parts of different pieces.  It's really jarring.

Considering the immense effort that goes into training, choreography, costumes etc, it seems very strange that the music (which is a massive part of a performance) is left to suffer like that - imagine if they did that in movies?

Did anyone ever think about getting a piece commissioned for their routine?  Depending on the composer it could cost less than they spend on costumes.  Also then it could be tailored perfectly to the routine.  Also then you would have no copyright issues.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
Agreed!

I dislike a considerable portion of spliced-together music that I've heard in international competitions. I wonder why the skaters or their coaches don't recognize this?

Bill Schneider

Offline adrien

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Re: Music
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »
I really don't understand it.

Considering the production costs, preparation costs etc, the production values really suffer there.

Even TV commercials and corporate promo videos get music especially written for them (I've written some).  You can get a 3 minute piece recorded by an eastern European Orchestra for a couple grand and probably similar if not less for the composition and rights to use it.