You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Natural Talent vs Hard Work  (Read 8656 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Re: Natural Talent vs Hard Work
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
Oh and how the heck do you embed Youtube videos? I keep getting file too large.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
Right now my biggest challenge is her attention span and trying to talk to an almost 5 year old is like talking to a wall sometimes.  IE she's hell bent on backwards crossovers but don't ask her to try forward (even though I've seen her do them).  Oh and she prefers one side over, and she's stubborn as he**, but if you just "let her be" she will work on what she was taught and tune you out. Go figure.
Her coach should be able to deal with that. Nothing you said is out of the norm for children that age, or even adults in some cases.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
If you just put the YouTube link in your post, it will embed it automatically for you

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 10:06:36 AM »
It's funny, I used to get so frustrated when I'd see other adults get basic skills like mohawks and 3 turns so much faster and easier than me. I really had moments where I thought I wasn't meant for skating. But I literally worked my tail off, and now I can do all the basics pretty well.

And now some of the other adults who initially got things so easy are hitting a plateau, and they are frustrated with me because I'm getting skills a bit faster now! And the day will come when the positions reverse again, I'm sure.

It comes and goes, and it's different for everybody. Yes, natural talent does play a factor, but Hard Work makes the wheels turn in every physical sense. Think your daughter will have it in her to get up at 4:30 to make the early ice, as it's better to practice a program on? Really hard to say at 4YO!