You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: suggestions for skating near Detroit?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
suggestions for skating near Detroit?
« on: June 30, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Heading to the Bloomfield Hills/Farmington Hills area for a family weekend soon... looks like there are several rinks in the area.  Any recommendations for which ones might be good (good = good ice, not too crowded; cost not that big a deal) for public skating?  Not sure I'll be able to manage it, but I'd like to be prepared... bringing my skates just in case.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: suggestions for skating near Detroit?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »
Not sure about sessions etc. but the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills is a nice facility.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
Actic in Canton (early) is nice.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Not sure about sessions etc. but the Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills is a nice facility.

VERY nice facility but it is a private club and so I don't think they have many (or any?) public sessions except maybe on the weekends:

http://www.dscclub.com/events/publicskate/

I skated some public sessions in Ann Arbor at the Ice Cube and that was also very nice.

There are SO many rinks in the Detroit area that it probably won't be hard to find one that suits your needs.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
VERY nice facility but it is a private club and so I don't think they have many (or any?) public sessions except maybe on the weekends:

http://www.dscclub.com/events/publicskate/

I skated some public sessions in Ann Arbor at the Ice Cube and that was also very nice.

There are SO many rinks in the Detroit area that it probably won't be hard to find one that suits your needs.

Thanks; I hadn't found that link.  I had looked at their overall schedule and was trying to figure out whether "General" meant public or freestyle... guessing now that it's freestyle.

[ETA:  Don't ask me how I missed the big link at the top of their page saying "PUBLIC SKATE"!]

Suburban Ice and the Farmington Hills Arena are both very close to where we'll be staying, and they also look like good options.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
I think it would be worth going to the Detroit Skating Club just to see who might be there... I had been a member of that club in the 60s and so sometime in the early 2000s my husband and I were on a vacation in the area and I walked in one weekday in the summer just to take a look - I was amazed to see all of the skaters there -

A General Session at the Detroit Skating Club is kind of an "anything goes" session for club members but not a freestyle - I think it resembles a public session but really it is all club members only (or guests) - I also seem to remember that if you are a USFS member you can skate on some of their sessions but that was then... not sure anymore... you would have to call ahead I think.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions; as I expected, had too much family stuff going on to be able to escape to a rink.  (The only option would have been Saturday afternoon, and I had a choice between that and getting a massage... the in-laws hired a massage therapist to come give one hour massages to anyone interested.  No contest, really.   :) )