You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Limitations of adult skaters?  (Read 15552 times)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: Limitations of adult skaters?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »
Thank you, Doubletoe! That's a great resource. I am going to give it my best!

You can do it, Twinskaters! :)  Let me know how it goes!  Patience and correct form are everything, especially on that seated hamstring stretch.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 02:49:13 PM »
Awesome DoubleToe!  +GOE for you for taking the time out to type that!!!!  Now....where do I install the barre (been looking for an excuse  ;))

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
Ha ha!  If only there were a lightweight, portable ballet barre we could carry with us. . . ;)

Offline Loops

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
I know, right?  But my kids would use it as a monkey bar, and who knows what else- based on what they do to my yoga balls......

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
Ha ha!  BTW, I finally found a picture that shows what I mean about keeping your chest to your thigh to get all the way down when doing a split on the floor.  I think it helps because it keeps my hips square and reduces the pull on my hip flexor of the back leg as I go down.  Once I'm down like this, I raise my torso up, which transfers some of the stretch from the hamstring of the front leg to the hip flexor of the back leg.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Ha ha!  If only there were a lightweight, portable ballet barre we could carry with us. . . ;)

Oh, but there is!  Our rink has some made out of PVC.  Admittedly a class-sized barre is really NOT all that "light" when you have to move it across an entire building, but it is significantly lighter than the metal ones we have :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 05:03:32 AM »
I'm hitting 30 next month and have been skating for 2 1/2 years. ;) If you have the drive, you can get along decently.

For myself, I certainly wouldn't try for a double axel and flying camels, though.  :sweat

Offline Loops

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
I'm hitting 30 next month and have been skating for 2 1/2 years. ;) If you have the drive, you can get along decently.

For myself, I certainly wouldn't try for a double axel and flying camels, though.  :sweat

I won't speak to a 2A, because that was never part of my skill set.  But I used to do flying camels (not very well, I'm sure).  I haven't attempted even a camel spin recently, but for me at least, neither is off the table!  I certainly plan to do an axel someday again, and a 2S along with a 2T.

ETA- and I'm 40!  And just restarted skating this season after 25 years off ice.  Don't limit yourself!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
My jump goals are axel and double sal. I'm 51 now. Think I'll make it?? 

Spin goals are layback and a pretty sit. Of course, I'll need to master scratch and back scratch to meet any of these goals.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 01:50:57 AM »

Flying camels?  Actually not that hard.  Easier than reverse entry camel for sure! :)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
Eh, they're about the same. 

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
Portable Dance Barre, anyone??

http://www.roscodancefloors.com/accessories/portabarre.cfm

What fun!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
Flying camels?  Actually not that hard.  Easier than reverse entry camel for sure! :)

Ditto this - flying camels are very fun, and not so scary - even while learning, it's a process, so it's not like you really fly a whole lot in the beginning.

Offline Loops

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:54 AM »
Ok, dumb question, but what's a "reverse entry" spin?  Youtube has been of no help on this...... Seems like spins have really evolved over the past couple of decades.

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 01:28:41 AM »
Ok, dumb question, but what's a "reverse entry" spin?  Youtube has been of no help on this...... Seems like spins have really evolved over the past couple of decades.

A "reverse entry" spin is a counter-clockwise spin on the right foot or a clockwise spin on the left foot (without a flying entry).  The reverse entry spins are the spins that start with a back upright position, back sit, or back camel (all of which would typically have a right forward inside entrance edge for a CCW spinner).

Offline Loops

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:34 AM »
So it's effectively a back spin in the position of choice?

Offline davincisop

• Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
I started as a kid, came back as an adult (at 21, I'm 26 now). I have never set Olympics as a goal (except to go watch from the stands  :P), but I have talked with my coach and have a goal of attaining double jumps and BIG single jumps. I'm a long way off from that, but I think with enough drive anyone can achieve goals they set for themselves.

But you also have to realize that if you don't attain those goals, it's not the end of the world. They're just there to give you something to work towards. :) I lost a year of skating last year (save for just getting on the ice and keeping my scratch and some jumps) because I had started my own business and couldn't afford the lessons. Now I'm playing catch up with an awesome coach who can and will push me like I need to be pushed. :)

Don't discount yourself yet, you're 19. I've seen people start as adults (alejeather is a great example) who with a lot of hard work are now working on doubles. :)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »

No, it all has to do with how you enter the spin - the reverse entry basically starts the spin entrance from a backwards edge, rather than a FI 3-turn... it's really very difficult to do.

Offline Loops

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »
No, it all has to do with how you enter the spin - the reverse entry basically starts the spin entrance from a backwards edge, rather than a FI 3-turn... it's really very difficult to do.

Hmmm It does sound quite difficult.  Do you do this edge, then enter as a back spin? 

I'm having trouble envisioning this whole thing....wish I could find a video!!!!!  Did anyone do this at the olympics/nationals that any of you can remember?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 01:09:45 PM »
Look at Jeffrey Buttles Free skates - he often did a BO edge into a back camel if I remember correctly.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
Don't discount yourself yet, you're 19. I've seen people start as adults (alejeather is a great example) who with a lot of hard work are now working on doubles. :)

Aw, thanks for the shout-out!  :love:

Okay, at first I thought that whoever mentioned "reverse entry" first was talking about a backwards entry. But now I think they were talking about spiraling a long BO edge into a spin. Right? I saw a coach friend do this once and I was blown away. It's pretty cool!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Loops

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
Look at Jeffrey Buttles Free skates - he often did a BO edge into a back camel if I remember correctly.

Aha, yes, I found it.  In his Ararat program (AWESOME MUSIC).  Yeah, that's impressive. 

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »

Yes, that is correct.  It used to be a level-raising feature under IJS, but as of the 2014-15 season it will no longer be a feature.  Too bad for all of us who were getting points for it up to now!  It's one of the few features we adult skaters were commonly able to use, since it doesn't require flexibility.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »
The back camel entry he used at ~ 4:18 of the video will still count as a difficult entry this season but the back upright earlier would not (speaking of Jeff Buttle's Ararat program)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
The back camel entry he used at ~ 4:18 of the video will still count as a difficult entry this season but the back upright earlier would not (speaking of Jeff Buttle's Ararat program)

Thanks for the clarification!