You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Learn to Skate Rant!  (Read 2846 times)

Offline mmady16

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Learn to Skate Rant!
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »
Oh my goodness, my Learn to Skate classes have gotten so very annoying. I new lady who usually skates in the other class on Saturday came to our's and boy was she a piece of work. We were a class of about 10 with only one instructor. Lessons are 30 min so we usually work on something for about 5 minutes and move on. This lady felt the need to call the instructor over to her EVERY SINGLE TIME and ask about the skill. I understand you want to make sure you're doing things right, but our instructor is very good at trying to come to everyone to either help them or tell them good job. She made it impossible for anyone else to get help. The instructor even had to say to her to come to her after class so the class could continue on. I get you want your money's worth, but it's just inconsiderate to take time away from everyone else like that when it's only 12 dollars anyway. And then we were working on the circle doing half swizzles and there's like two boys (probably around 9) that NEVER do them and just skate around the circle and skate right up behind you before swerving along the inside and cutting people off. Like, don't go around people if you're not even doing the skill. I know all of this is probably stupid and petty, but it makes the whole experience so unenjoyable. Don't even get me started on the hockey kids and their dads. I watched one of them take out a little girl without even saying sorry! And then of course there's the experienced ones who scowl at you should you skate near them during their attempted one foot spin and stare at younger girls who practice pivots and three turns in the middle. This is all really ruining my skating experience. Sigh....that's the end of my rant.  :(

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Learn to Skate Rant!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:58 PM »
aww bummer, this sounds difficult! Is the class split into levels? Or are there multiple levels of classes on ice at the same time?

I can't remember, did you end up getting private lessons? I feel like we were discussing that in another thread

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:51:41 AM »
Typical.
It's sort of normal for LTS. I've had worse.

This is about totally losing our LTS skating space when the classes on either side just spread into our assigned area--and stay there.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2014/02/encroaching-during-group-lessons.html

And the LTS class that was split so (I believe) the coach could take her private students and favorite students to herself. This involved having all the 'girls' (grown women) of ALL LEVELS in one adult class while the coach took her two private students (including one woman) and all the men in the other class.
I quit LTS there when that happened.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline mmady16

• Rink Rat
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
This is really late, but I'll respond anyway!

The classes are split into Basic 1, Basic 2, Basic 3, Hockey, and the Freestyle. Basic 1 is in the middle, Basic 2 and 3 split left side and, Hockey and Freestyle split left side. It's usually very busy!

My mom did agree, however, I will not be starting until the school year resumes at the end of August. My part-time job is never constant so I'm unable to start right away. I am super excited for them though! It's going to be amazing and fun!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
Yay! Glad you will be starting  private lessons later this year!

Offline Guinnie

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »
I've returned to skating after a long absence to have my kids, etc. I enrolled in the Adult LTS program because I was having major problems. I couldn't hold even a slight edge. Our instructor did not teach the curriculum at all! We were all of differing skating levels, which is to be expected, but she told us to do waltz jumps one day! I said forget it. One student asked to learn power pulls, and that's great, but she made us all do them and I clearly became discouraged and never went back.