You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Fit Issues Advice  (Read 1877 times)

Offline AspenonIce

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
Skate Fit Issues Advice
« on: July 08, 2020, 08:26:41 PM »
I'm still having skate fit issues. I've had 2 pairs of Jackson Debut Fusions (1st a 5.5 W, 2nd and current 6 W) and they still give me the same squeezing the sides of my feet pain in my arches. I've decided I probably need semi custom extra wide skates, however I have another problem. (The 6s were sent back to the factory recently to be stretched but they still cause the same pain. I'm in less pain if I skip the front half of my boot and only lace from my ankle up, but it still hurts quite a bit.)

My group lesson coach has said (even before the corona shutdown) that she can see that I'm pitched forward towards the front of my boot/blade, but that nothing in my posture indicates that I'm misplacing my weight to cause it. So it probably has to do with the boot and I'm not sure what that means so I can get a boot that doesn't do this. I don't remember this being a problem in the 5.5s (but it's been a year-ish since I've skated in them so I could be wrong), but my big toe was being bruised by the front of the skate along with the too narrow pain.

Does this mean it's just that the length is too long for my foot? Or should I get the blade mounted further back? While the 5.5s were the exact same length of the blade, the 6s are mounted with the blade all the way to the front with about 1/4 of an inch left over on the heel. I'm really not sure how much of a difference this makes.
Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Goal 1: Have skates that don't cause me pain

Offline AspenonIce

• Mohawk of Doom
Skate Fit Issues Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 08:27:03 PM »
I'm still having skate fit issues. I've had 2 pairs of Jackson Debut Fusions (1st a 5.5 W, 2nd and current 6 W) and they still give me the same squeezing the sides of my feet pain in my arches. I've decided I probably need semi custom extra wide skates, however I have another problem. (The 6s were sent back to the factory recently to be stretched but they still cause the same pain. I'm in less pain if I skip the front half of my boot and only lace from my ankle up, but it still hurts quite a bit.)

My group lesson coach has said (even before the corona shutdown) that she can see that I'm pitched forward towards the front of my boot/blade, but that nothing in my posture indicates that I'm misplacing my weight to cause it. So it probably has to do with the boot and I'm not sure what that means so I can get a boot that doesn't do this. I don't remember this being a problem in the 5.5s (but it's been a year-ish since I've skated in them so I could be wrong), but my big toe was being bruised by the front of the skate along with the too narrow pain.

Does this mean it's just that the length is too long for my foot? Or should I get the blade mounted further back? While the 5.5s were the exact same length of the blade, the 6s are mounted with the blade all the way to the front with about 1/4 of an inch left over on the heel. I'm really not sure how much of a difference this makes.
Any advice?

Offline AspenonIce

• Mohawk of Doom
Skate Fit Issues Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 08:31:05 PM »

Any advice?