You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Transitioning from Eclipse Capri to MK Pro blade  (Read 1769 times)

Offline rmsilva

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
Transitioning from Eclipse Capri to MK Pro blade
« on: May 02, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »
I have been skating for one year in stock Riedell Diamond boots with Eclipse Capri blades. They were my first pair of skates after using rentals for two sets of group lessons. I was fitted by a Riedell service rep and purchased size 10 skates. As I progressed through LTS Adult lessons, I noticed that I was having A LOT of trouble with spinning on my left foot. After looking at boot sizes, I find out that my left foot is size 8.5, and right foot is size 9.5 - my spinning foot was in a boot 1.5 sizes too large:o

I now have custom Harlick boots with MK Pro blades. I'm still in the process of breaking them in, but I wanted to test out the spin rocker. It feels so much further forward when I try to spin! Now that I'm in a properly sized boot, do I need to "re-learn" how to spin? I was terrible before because the drag pick would always catch and stop my spins.

So, I'm adjusting to TWO new things: 1) Better fitting boots and 2) a new blade profile. I would welcome any advice from people with similar experiences, and any recommendations from experienced skaters.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Transitioning from Eclipse Capri to MK Pro blade
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
When I replaced my old Riedell Gold Stars with Riedell Gold Stars, and my Coronation Aces with another pair, it felt like a night and day difference.

I have learned that any change in boots or blades feels "wrong" for a while, but that you eventually get used to them.

In my case, it took a month or two before I felt as comfortable as in the old pair. It's also one reason that I postpone getting new skates. But you do eventually adjust to them.
Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »
When I replaced my old Riedell Gold Stars with Riedell Gold Stars, and my Coronation Aces with another pair, it felt like a night and day difference.

I have learned that any change in boots or blades feels "wrong" for a while, but that you eventually get used to them.

In my case, it took a month or two before I felt as comfortable as in the old pair. It's also one reason that I postpone getting new skates. But you do eventually adjust to them.

Bill:  I agree with your experience 100%.  Having said that, I'm constantly amazed by one of our coaches who can move seamlessly from figure boots and free style blades to hockey equipment, depending on her next student.

Offline rmsilva

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »

Thank you! I’m making a point of attending as many public sessions as possible, so I can break the boots in. Even though it was intially awkward, I now love having boots that fit properly.